Pod Your Reef

acrylic glue question

tetraodon

i was wondering what people use to bond acrylic without the acrylic weld stuff? no hardware store around me has the weld stuff, i found loctite plastic welder and wondered if this stuff works on acrylic

i use crazy glue...mind you, everything i'm making is only holding litres, not gallons, so the back pressure is very little.

I used Sikaflex 302 ... It's a reefsafe polymer glue ... I don't know if it's available for sale in the US tho ...

Bonds to everything ...

If this has to hold any kind of pressure, then just get the right stuff. It's not worth the hassle trying to make something else work to only have it fail.

For light duty tasks, I've used Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK), but it's becoming harder to find in hardware stores of late. The "MEK Substitute" is not a viable substitute, as it will not melt acrylic at all.

I make my own glue.. Acetone and small pieces of acrylic, let it sit for 48 hours in a sealed jar and you have a glue that's a lot stronger than the commercial stuff..

Im just makin a top down view box, being a model builder ive tried all my glues and solvents, even one containing MEK, nothing worked like I want, I just dont want to drop 30 dollars on a 5 dollar project

Try a plastic shop nearby. If you want it to look good using a solvent welding solution like Weldon is the only way. Or have it shipped in for about $10-15

Archived