Top Shelf Aquatics

halloween hermits 'spawned' in my new vase

gogo

hello you fine fold at nr, i just thought i'd share an experience with you.

i am currently upgrading my 2.6 gallon reef vase to a 6 gallon reef vase... the newer vase has been cycling for a few weeks now, and last week i introduced a few snails and a pair of halloween hermits to to the vase. i run everything on air, no impellers. this morning i noticed some larger than normal plankton in the vase and put a light on it to see what exactly it was... hundreds of 5mm long hermit crab larvae. i've been feeding the new vase with live phyto and can see that the larvae have a light green tinge to them... i think they're eating the phyto...i dumped a half litre of rotis in there this afternoon in the hopes of giving them a fighting chance. i don't plan on doing the transfer for a couple of more weeks until all the parameters are in check. nitrates are still in the 5-10ppm range and i don't want to transfer the corals until everything is perfect.

has anyone else had this happen and if so, how far did you get? i've tried raising sexy shrimp but couldn't get passed day 18.

im interested in trying to raise this batch.

any input?

here's a pic to update... sorry about the quality... this is the best my cellphone can take...there's about a dozen left in the vase. they're attached to the surface of the vase, attracted to the natural sunlight

20140531_152330.jpg

the larvae have orange red tails and are voracious predators. they are chasing down artemia nauplii with ease... they normally drop out when they've caught something. they're excellent swimmers in the current and i'm surprised that they're doing well in the vase as it's still cycling and at 5ppm nitrates. there's bell hydroids starting to multiply in the vase now so i don't see the remainders making it passed the next few days. i've been using water from my daily wc in the 2.6 to help cycle the 6 gallon, and seemed to have introduced some baby sabellid worms in the process. there's an adult pair in the 2.6 and recently experienced a spawn of something of which i might now assume was sabellid spawn. there's a few new sabellid babies attached to the adult tubes.

20140604_233507.jpg

here's some pics of the unknown spawn20140527_233327.jpg

20140527_232628.jpg

here a pic of timy sabellid worms attached to the adult.20140527_231844.jpg

NorthGaHillbilly

Oddly enough it must be that time of year, I actually walked in on a crab fanning larvae from under her shell. There were hundreds of little guys moving through the water, I turned my WP10 off and removed my filter sock, I havent seen any today, but I havent spent much time looking either.

Def interested to hear if yours are able to survive

Oh, heres a brief video I got last night, alittle hard to tell whats going on I'm afraid.

Oddly enough it must be that time of year, I actually walked in on a crab fanning larvae from under her shell. There were hundreds of little guys moving through the water, I turned my WP10 off and removed my filter sock, I havent seen any today, but I havent spent much time looking either.

Def interested to hear if yours are able to survive

Oh, heres a brief video I got last night, alittle hard to tell whats going on I'm afraid.

no, none have survived, although i've got plenty of those hydroids. i had a copepod bloom in the cycling vase and i think it aided the hrydroid bloom. i'm still removing them. the incident has given me the 'gotta get some shrimp' bug. thinking of some sexys..

i liked your video. yep, that's definitely baby crabs. what kind is it? i think a lot of us have stuff breeding in our tanks, but with all the plumbing, the poor little buggers don't stand a chance.

i've still got the baby sabellid worms attached to the glass, which i'm happy about..

• 2 weeks later...

had another batch of hhermits today....isolated them in a 2 litre cylinder with live dunaliella, rotifers, copepods and bbshrimp. no air, no substrate, temp 78 ish.....ill post pics later with update

here's a dozen or so.... they're dropping like flies at the moment... slowly dripping water from dt to the 2 litre ...

i might have a few left by morning. 20140619_142300.jpg

Archived