SaltCritters.com

Bacteria on clown, need help

shaverto

Hi guys,

I have had my SA fancy snowflake extreme for a couple weeks now and things have been fine.

Hes a very "fluttery" swimmer, and at first my brother said, keep an eye on the flow, maybe its to much. He had calmed his swimming style down, until recently he's fluttering a lot again.

He also had been doing a weird thing where he flexes his body to one side as if he's trying to reach for his tail.

Recently he's been staying right on the sand bed fluttering a lot.

This morning I noticed a white spot on his tail on both sides and also some white/grey film on his sides, i thought maybe it was "dust" from the sand but my brother looked at it for me today and said no its bacteria.

So next step, what can I do to get him healthy. Its a small 6.5 gallon AIO with a canister filter.

I do have a small glass tank I could possibly set up as a quarantine.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

thanks, unfortunately I was away on sunday and couldn't do anything as far as beginning a treatment.

My brother is hopefully bringing home some formalin tonight. The plan is to do a dip/bath.

I read an article on treating and they recommend putting the fish in a QT tank for the 3-4 weeks of the treatment. There are tanks around that i could make into a QT tank but they are not up and running.

If i decided to set one up now, other than a heater and a powerhead for some flow what would I need? just fresh saltwater? can I do this without it cycling?

Otherwise I'll have to dip/bath and then put the fish back in the tank, which seems counter-productive.

There is also one small YCG in the tank, the article I read said all fish should be removed and put in the QT while the treatments period (3-4weeks) takes place, so that the bacteria in the tank dies off and doesn't find a new host.

any thoughts/ideas?

Sadly it didn't end well. I had enough time to freshwater dip him once and formalin dip him twice.

aster the freshwater dip he seemed improved, wasn't having as much trouble breathing. The next morning the bacteria seemed worse and we noticed some of his left fin was gone. The formalin dips didn't seem to do much, he got progressively worse and eventually died tonight.

This has been a really sad and discouraging few days.

BeardedReeferLLC

Yah my clowns ended in the same fate sadly. Tried to fix the issue but it was too late. Sorry for your loss.

Archived