inTank Media Baskets

Cloudy water

netsecpro

For the past few days my water has been very cloudy. I did a 5g water change today, and it's still cloudy. About 2 weeks ago I started dosing calcium, kh, and mg to keep,things in check for my SPS. I had a water test done yesterday and my readings are as follows:

PH 8.0

Salinity 1.023

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0

Nitrite 0

Calcium 350

Alkalinity 5.6

Magnesium 1400

I know my alkalinity is low, but would that cause cloudiness?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Very low readings what are you dosing

You ca is low by about 75-100 ppm alk is low by 3-5 dkh, mag is high, salinity is low,

Been dosing sea chem products. I was told mag is good, but would low dosing cause cloudiness!

Been dosing sea chem products. I was told mag is good, but would low dosing cause cloudiness!

Mag is fine, none of your parms would cause cloudiness. Could be your alk precipitating... Are you getting buildup on pumps, heaters, etc? Could also be bacterial bloom.

Mag is fine, none of your parms would cause cloudiness. Could be your alk precipitating... Are you getting buildup on pumps, heaters, etc? Could also be bacterial bloom.

No buildup on anything. It's just odd that this just suddenly happened. I'll do another water change today and rinse my equipment too see if it helps. Thanks for the input.

my bet is a bacterial bloom. Have you recently won a war with algae? sometimes after alot of algae or cyano dies your tank may experience a bacterial bloom. You could wait it out and it should clear up (if it is from what i am suggesting) or you can purchase a uv sterilizer to get rid of the bacteria in the water.

Fortunately, I haven't had a recent battle with algae. I think my problem was that I was dosing calcium and alkalinity at the same time. From what I have been researching, I should be dosing those at separate time in order to prevent any precipitate. During my most recent water change, I took out all of my equipment and scrubbed it down. I also noticed that the hose going from my return pump to the tank outlet was coated inside and out with a white substance which lead me to the precipitate. I replaced it with a clean piece of hose and things have cleared up considerably. I have done two 5 gallon water changes since, and things look great.

It turns out that I was just uneducated cap about dosing calcium and alk at the same time. I was just lucky that I didn't lose any of my corals or livestock.

Archived