Pod Your Reef

The FIFTY CENT moonlight!

wowser

I don't know about you, but I can't find decent moonlights in this hobby. The R2 Extreme are really nice but at $37 seem a bit overpriced. Plus they don't last that long. I got a TrueLumen in blue but it looks like ultraviolet blue and hardly lights the tank.

Enter the 50 cent moonlight. I got two of these lights shipped for just .99 cents! Granted, it took three weeks to get them from China, but hook them up to an old 12V wall wart at .6 watts (600 milliwatts) and BINGO BANGO BOINGO you got a moonlight! They're really nice quality too, with a thick rubber coating and the light is pretty bright and the perfect blue. I may use a lower watt wall wart to lower brightness. They come with sticky stuff on the back and weigh nearly nothing. I have one taped to the bottom of my Kessil LED and you can hardly see it. So there it is, the 50 Cent Moonlight (patent pending).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-5050-Blue-SMD-5CM-3-LED-Strip-Waterproof-Car-Daytime-running-lights-/110911730589?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:1120

post-51292-0-85007800-1401419771_thumb.jpg

post-51292-0-23245600-1401419780_thumb.jpg

gulfsurfer101

I use something similar. I get mine from the Wal-Mart auto section. They are around 11 bucks but no shipping. They also have the sticky side on one side.

Do these need to be wired or do they come with a plug on the end that can be hooked up to the 12v adapter?

• 3 weeks later...

So cool can you show us how you hooked it up to the 12v as I don't have any sort of DIY skills to relate it to

Strip the wires, red wire on the led is positive. The 12v will probably have some sort of mark, stripes or blocks usually to indicate it is positive. Twist positive to positive and negative to negative and use a wire nut or electrical tape to cover the exposed wires. That's all there is to it. I think if you mix the wires up, nothing happens, it just won't turn on, so reverse them if that happens.

Get a cheap multimeter and it will tell you which line is hot and which is neutral. Much safer than accidentally wiring in reverse bias.

Archived