SaltCritters.com

Adding LEDs to my fixture

2004jeeplaredo

2004jeeplaredo

I have a beams works 18" 3watt led light over my spec v and like it a lot but I want to fiddle with it now and make it better. Here's my plan and my questions. I don't really want to just buy a different one because I just like diy projects and improving what I have. I was looking at the cree soderless kits and liked what I saw. My idea is this.

Do a line of LED from cree in between my current led on the fixture to improve the spectrum so maybe do,

blue-red-UV-red-blue

I think it would make it a full spectrum but I want to know what ya guys thought. Also want to try and drill holes to mount the lenses inside and make it look stock but would the heat be to mucheck without a extra heat sink. The current LEDs are 3watts and it doesn't get to hot. Let me know what you think of this plan.

Heres my setup right now.

IMG_0600.jpg

As far as I see you currently have 3 Royal Blue and 7 Whites (Cool white?) right?

Normally you should have a Blue/White ratio of 2 Blues to 1 White.

Considering that, I would buy 1x OCW (3up Ocean Coral White; Cyan, Green, Red), 2 or 3 Royal Blues and 2 True Violets.

I was very sceptical about the OCW until I bought one for my nano. It's a great way to complete you spectrum :)

To be honest, the easiest way would be to get yourself a new heatsink and buy a complete set of new leds. There'll be heat problems with the new LEDs on that fixture and you'll get the so called "disco" effect because you can't "cluster" them near enough together because the old LEDs take up to much space...

Just remember that if you find you posted in the wrong forum, use the report button at the bottom of your post to ask a moderator to move it. Or delete it if that's what you want.

Archived