inTank Media Baskets

IM Nuvo 24g budget build

mdaprasad

defender.TX Thanks for the update

I am planning to buy the media for my media baskets would you please help how much is needed for each basket? so far I have following

Poly Filter Floss - http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm (2- One in each basket)

Do you have fuge basket? if yes, what are using it for? Initially I was planning it a small refugium with live sand, live rock and micro alge but I saw bottom is open so confused on how put all this stuff in there (I will do some research but if you can help before that will be great)
Also, do you have original nuvo 24g media baskets or did you upgrade it InTank media baskets?

You don't need the Purigen if you have the Chemi Pure Blue. (If you had Chemi Pure Elite it would be another matter.)

I would just run the filter floss and chemi pure blue as suggested above. What were you hoping to achieve with the refugium? In my experience in these small tanks, a refugium is usually not that useful as a means of nutrient export. You'll have a skimmer, live rock, mechanical and chemical filtration... that's more than enough if you stock appropriately and maintain a good water change schedule.

You don't need the Purigen if you have the Chemi Pure Blue. (If you had Chemi Pure Elite it would be another matter.)

So do you use one or two Chemi Pure Blue per tank? still we will have one chamber left out in that media basket what else we can put in there?

Just saw this nocturnal worm in the tank looks like Bristle Worm (hopefully beneficial), also, noticed some green algae this morning not sure what kind it is so my tank has been cycling from last three days and already running into these things so what do you guys suggest regarding Bristle Worm and Algae? and somewhere I read if I see green algae that means tank is cycled is that true?

post-84758-0-54931700-1403195369_thumb.jpg

post-84758-0-62525100-1403195377_thumb.jpg

What is one rated for... i.e. how many gallons does one treat? I've never used it before, but usually in nano tanks less is more, so 1 is probably plenty. Not sure about the last chamber... I would leave it empty for now, you have most of your bases covered. If you want more biological or chemical filtration, you can always add rock rubble or more phosphate removing media later

What is one rated for... i.e. how many gallons does one treat? I've never used it before, but usually in nano tanks less is more, so 1 is probably plenty. Not sure about the last chamber... I would leave it empty for now, you have most of your bases covered. If you want more biological or chemical filtration, you can always add rock rubble or more phosphate removing media later

I think it's rated for 35g so as you said one might be enough, maybe I will add one more layer of filter floss.

That worm doesn't look like the typical bristleworm... mine are usually very thin maybe 0.25-0.5 cm wide even if they are 5-6 inches long. The worm in the picture looks thicker, but obviously you can make better judgement than me on this.

Was the algae not present when you bought the rock? I doubt your cycle is complete, it's only been 3 days!! I used some good live rock from my LFS and some starter bacteria in a bottle and it still took 2 weeks. I would just wait 11 more days and then get a CUC. Also IME diatoms- the brown algae that feeds on silicates coating every surface in your tank is the best indicator of the cycle being complete

That worm doesn't look like the typical bristleworm... mine are usually very thin maybe 0.25-0.5 cm wide even if they are 5-6 inches long. The worm in the picture looks thicker, but obviously you can make better judgement than me on this.

Was the algae not present when you bought the rock? I doubt your cycle is complete, it's only been 3 days!! I used some good live rock from my LFS and some starter bacteria in a bottle and it still took 2 weeks. I would just wait 11 more days and then get a CUC. Also IME diatoms- the brown algae that feeds on silicates coating every surface in your tank is the best indicator of the cycle being complete

Thanks, that worm definitely is big but I think it looks similar to the images from google search. Little green algae was present on cured live rock from LFS but this one looks fresh. In any case I am going to wait at-least two weeks before introducing anything into the tank.

defender.TX

Thanks, that worm definitely is big but I think it looks similar to the images from google search. Little green algae was present on cured live rock from LFS but this one looks fresh. In any case I am going to wait at-least two weeks before introducing anything into the tank.

Honestly I would leave the algae and wait for diatoms. Once you see diatoms you can add the clean up crew. Some snails and hermits will make quick work of that green turf (hair?) algae!

This waiting is killing me but better than killing fish...

I ordered few items

1. ONE InTank media basket - I think I can get away with one because of Chemi Pure Blue, for second I am planning to use IM provided basket with the tank.

2. Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 100 watt - Expensive but experts says worth it

3. BRS 5 stage Chloramine Plus RO/DI unit - utilized mainly for drinking water purpose so well worth it

Few questions...

Do I need to top of RO/DI water while cycling?

Do I need to check salinity levels while cycling?

Which fish I can introduce first? Clowns? Because, I definitely gone have pair of them but they are also expensive so don't want to risk them in just cycled tank.

Appreciate all the help,..

Yes only top off with RODI water. Never use tap water for anything from here on out

You should only need to check salinity once, and then top off to a marked level to keep it steady

I would add some CUC first, and then add the clowns maybe 2 weeks later. They are hardy fish and your tank should be cycled by then

Another update...

It's been cycling for almost TWO weeks and I am concerned that I am not seeing any progress (no diatoms etc.) what am I doing wrong here?

1. I am not running lights, do I need to run lights? there are different conflicting stuff out there regarding lights on or lights while cycling...BTW, I did with lights off while cycling my fresh water and I am biased towards that...

2. I don't have any media such as floss, blue etc. I am planning to put floss either today or tomorrow once I get the shipment.

I am planning to visit LFS to get parameters checked and hopefully to introduce some CUC in next few days.

post-84758-0-01430000-1404141799_thumb.jpg

Don't worry, probably nothing wrong. Yes, turn on your lights and I think you will see some diatoms. If you notice that your water doesn't look as crisp or sparkle like you want, you can run carbon in the empty chamber. Its fairly cheap and effective.

+1 ^

Diatoms won't really show up until 3-4 days after you turn the lights on. The bloom is basically unavoidable, but it subsides quickly most of the time. I would go ahead and turn your lights on at this point, you need to have something for the CUC to eat when you go get them

Thanks, that makes sense...

Here is what I am planning to do regarding lighting
Currently, I have dimmable LED lights running (Blues - 30% and White - 25% strength), based on results I can increase the
intensity.
1. Morning 9 A.M blues will come on for ONE hour
2. Around 10 A.M whites will come on
3. Around 10.30 A.M blues will go off
4. Around 7.30 P.M blues will come again
4.5 Feeding time here, planning to feed once a day, with giving break atleast one day/weak
5. Around 8 P.M whites will go off
6. Around 9 P.M all lights off
Does this sound too much light? remember I am planning to add only fish initially but ultimately will have some corals later.
I am also planning to grow micro algee down the lane so I want to know if this shedule will be fine or not?
Please share your lighting schedule.

hmm...no suggestions regarding light schedule any help would be useful. Also, I installed Cobalt Aquatic thermometer my temperature read as 86F and slowly stabilized but still reading as 80 even-though I set it up at 78F hopefully 80F should be fine right?

Roshan8768

Lighting intensity is plenty for just fish, you don't need any more than 30% if you don't have any coral in the tank, as the light is just for your viewing.

Regarding the light schedule, I would run Blues only for 2 hrs then whites and blues for 7-8 hrs and then blues only for 3-2 hrs. You want the blues on the whole day as well... transitioning with just them is fine but they need to be on during the day as they deliver an important part of the spectrum that the whites don't.

What are you using for your thermometer? It could be a bad reading? If it is staying stable at 80 degrees, that is fine but it gives you less breathing room if your tank starts to heat up. I would watch the temperature over the next few days and see how stable it is

• 3 weeks later...

Little update time from me and few new questions...I added a refuge basket and JBJ ATO, as of now only a small piece of live rock in refuge basket later planning to add some micro algae...

I added two Ocellaris Clownfish and few CUC here is the list

CUC
2 nassarius snails - One is laying eggs on the walls, I don't know what to do...
3 Turbo snail;
2 Cerith Snails I guess
1 Red legged hermit crab
1 Red legged Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
few empty shells
1 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp - To be added later
Fish
Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish - 2
Six Line Wrasse - 1 - Would like to add to control bristle worms
Royal Gramma Basslet - 1 - I like the color
One or Two more to add once I get a skimmer, may be firefish or Angel fish, I know this might be too much but I am talking about SIX months down the lane...
So far parameters are looking good but I am seeing green and purple algae on the glass and in the sump, I hope is normal for new tank. Also, in the second image I think it Cyno but not sure any help?
I hope I am doing it right, if not please correct me...

post-84758-0-29732000-1406228451_thumb.jpg

post-84758-0-44816800-1406228520_thumb.jpg

New tank will experience a wave of the nasty algaes... it's perfectly normal. I'd keep it to just these two fish for 5-6 weeks before adding your next couple of fish. Also, I would add the shrimp before the gramma to avoid any aggression issues. Add the sixline wrasse last if you must have it... they tend to be time bombs in these smaller tanks. Only a matter of time before it becomes super aggressive

• 1 month later...

Little update from me...

I bought few starter corals such as GSP, tiny zoas, hammer head and torch (I know last two are not starters but I like the long tentacles swaying in the tank)...

The torch was beautiful with dark brown and white combined with green, I spent little more than usual on this because seller told me it is rare to get these both combined (I don't know how far the truth is).

I couldn't found much information on this white torch online can anyone can provide any details please?

Thanks

post-84758-0-70823500-1409675836_thumb.jpg

I am also planning to change rockwork and add few other corals I am looking at Pink leather toadstool and Blue Ricardo and few RED Zoas but I couldn't find Pink leather toadstool in local shops any suggestions for online shopping?

Archived