Cultivated Reef

My RBTA split, what now?

vlangel

Hi, yesterday I noticed my RBTA looked deflated and not too good. I was in the middle of something else but figured I'd attend to it when I was done. I got a surprise when I got back to find it just fine, well except there were 2 of them! They look good today but do I feed them right away or should they have time to heal first? My parameters are normal and good but I am guessing the split happened because I am intentionally lowering the temperature to prepare the system for a seahorse tank tie in. I am lowering the temps slowly but that may have triggered the split.

jedimasterben

Why are you lowering temperatures? Just let them be. Seahorses will be ok. They live in the coastal waters here in FL, water temperatures get higher than those in our tanks.

Why are you lowering temperatures? Just let them be. Seahorses will be ok. They live in the coastal waters here in FL, water temperatures get higher than those in our tanks.

From what I can read from folks who keep seahorses they get bacterial infections very easily in an aquarium setting and those bacteria reproduce exponentially in temps over 74 degrees. If the nems continue to acted stress I will find them new homes- I don't want to meet the needs of one specie at the cost of another. They don't appear stressed, at the moment both look happy and healthy.

jedimasterben

I typically trust the word of those that work at public aquaria more than most in home aquaria, and they say crank it up, they're fine. :)

I typically trust the word of those that work at public aquaria more than most in home aquaria, and they say crank it up, they're fine. :)

You are no doubt correct about public aquariums keeping their seahorse tanks warmer, more like the tropical oceans they come from. I won't have the resources to replicate the ocean however with its limitless source of clean water or even the ability of a public aquarium to have an automated WC system so I need to trust the word of those who are successfully keeping seahorses in an environment more like I have.

You are concerned for the welfare of my nems and I appreciate that. I assure you that I will be watching them carefully to make sure they are OK because I care about them too.

• 4 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

BTA's split. It doesn't necessarily mean they are unhappy. 74 degrees should be no problem for them.

CatfishSoupFTW

RUN. RUN AND DONT LOOK BACK !!

lol, yeah splitting is good!! signs of some happy corals if anything. seahorse tank eh? thats cool.

If I was a BTA, I might make a nice meal out of a dwarf seahorse. Be careful with that.

I don't believe they are in the same tank, just that the system is plumbed together

• 1 month later...
SquishyFishy

Mr Micro, you seem to know about nems...is this one splitting? He was irritated by a red knobby sea star who walked all over him and after hiding for a while he moved back into his space, but it looks like he is now trying to split right up the middle..what do you think?

Splitting-XL.jpg

Paandemonium

Mr Micro, you seem to know about nems...is this one splitting? He was irritated by a red knobby sea star who walked all over him and after hiding for a while he moved back into his space, but it looks like he is now trying to split right up the middle..what do you think?

Splitting-XL.jpg

It's possible, see if you can get a picture of the mouth. Nems splitting is really freaking cool if you ask me. I loved getting videos of mine splitting when I had my nem tank up
Mr. Microscope

I've seen mine take that shape on occasion. Sometimes it's an indication that it's getting ready to split. Other times, it just returns to normal. I try to pay attention to where the new tentacles are growing. Most of the time there is a nice area around the mouth where there are none like a flower. I think when they start growing towards the middle of the nem, it is an indication that they are getting ready to split. They usually take on that shape too in that situation.

Archived