inTank Media Baskets

Jebao RW-8 vortech style pump review

05XRunner

Yeah, I pointed out the same flaw in his logic, but hey... to each their own

No flaw.

You just don't like his opinion, or experience.

When I've owned urchins in the past they would eat the insulation off the powerhead wires in the tank.

Lots of people have urchins and its a real viable safety risk.

Anyway, nice looking little pump, with a nice pricetag. Thanks to OP for review.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nanofreak79
mine is in a 40breeder and I feel like its enough. Its pushing alot of water around in the tank. it makes pretty much zero noise. you have to listen to hear the slight hum ramp up and down but if your not paying attention for it you dont hear it

I do the same thing when my kids are actin a fool.

Roshan8768
No flaw.

You just don't like his opinion, or experience.

When I've owned urchins in the past they would eat the insulation off the powerhead wires in the tank.

Lots of people have urchins and its a real viable safety risk.

Anyway, nice looking little pump, with a nice pricetag. Thanks to OP for review.

I realize that... all I meant by my comment is that it is just another piece of equipment that we put in our tanks. Clearly he has dealt with a real issue where stray voltage messed up his tank so I get his stance on the topic. With that said.... what does bringing up my comment from a page ago do for this thread? Absolutely nothing to do with the pump.... great review 05xrunner, thanks

Steensj2004

I just simply have a hard time comparing the two products at all. Being similar to a Vortech doesn't necessitate it being as good. Just stop making the comparison! If properly aligned, and maintained vortex has last for ever and are extremely quiet. I cannot for the life of me understand people who have 79db worth of equipment in their tank but somehow find a reason to whine about a slight hum from a MP-10, lol. If the MP-10 wasn't the benchmark then People wouldn't be ripping off the design, lol! Look at this pump, it looks just like an Mp-10, only one piece. I am sure they are excellent pumps, but bashing Vortechs is just as bad as people bashing WP pumps.

But I would be interested in trying one of these in the new tank I'm planning... Are they making a large and small one like the WP-25 and WP-10? Someone said something about an R-4?

well everyone keeps crying to defend the vortechs cause they are over priced. If they all stayed as quiet as you claim there wouldnt be so many threads about showing how to replace bearings and noisy vortech and all. In past my MP20 and MP10 where both very quiet but a Mp40 I tried sounded like a jet revving up and down and ecotech claimed it was normal. This pump is perfect for anyone who doesnt wanna spend a fortune and get just as good of flow be 100% dead silent and not cost the entire price of the pump everytime it goes down. For price of replacing a wetside cost as much as these jebao pumps once they hit amazon but no one complains about paying that to fix a pump that already cost a fortune in short amount of time. You dont ever hear Tunze pumps needing all kinda pricey parts to fix. The Vortechs are cheaply made and price tag preys on they hey look how cool I am. its the apple of the reef world.

Oh now, everyone goes all silly when they start a pump fight.

The Vortechs are not cheaply made but I think they are a bit over priced. Maybe. There are certainly people who will buy stuff to look cool, but I bought mine because at the time I could not get that much flow without having a giant thing hanging in my tank. I love my MP10 and would not part with it. I also love all my Jaebo pumps, now up to 5 of them. I find these work quite well in tall tanks where the footprint of the pump is not an issue. This pump is not a replacement for any Vortech because it's inside the tank. Once again, if anything, this is to compete with the Tunze wide flow DC pumps.

I'm not sure I'll buy one of these though now that Maxspect has introduced their new pump design. Now that looks cool, and is a totally unique design. It's a great time to be in this hobby.

I realize that... all I meant by my comment is that it is just another piece of equipment that we put in our tanks. Clearly he has dealt with a real issue where stray voltage messed up his tank so I get his stance on the topic. With that said.... what does bringing up my comment from a page ago do for this thread? Absolutely nothing to do with the pump.... great review 05xrunner, thanks

I bought an urchin on wednesday.

I cant use this pump, and I would like to, it puts wires in the tank. Its topical, even if you dont agree.

Bare uninsulated wires would be put pure voltage into the tank, not just stray.

no the vortechs are not something built like real high end quality. If they were people wouldnt be having issues so much with bearings and noise and everything that happens with them. I had that MP40 apart when i had it and the dryside build quality isnt anything spectacular. These Jebao pumps I dont mind them not having super high end build cause they are priced accordingly. I feel they are build about same as the Vortechs. its just the controller box feels cheap but that doesnt matter for anything with them using cheap plastic to make the box

$1 for some wire loom would fix any urchin issue with wires in the tank so thats pretty much a non issue just a silly thing to try and say something about the wire to the pump

but this isnt about Vortech quality or anything. This thread was to show how much bang for the buck the Rw8 is and its worth it

I think placing a motor outside the tank in the manner Ecotech did is a unique idea and something that can be easily defended via a patent, so we probably won't be seeing any competition any time soon. It's unfortunate but that is exactly what patents are for. A unique idea, designed an implemented that can be protected from copying for a set amount of time.

Well i can careless about the idea anymore..i have owned them and do not feel they are worth anywhere near the asking price. I would choose these Jebao pumps everytime over them. When the new riptides come out and at a much lower cost then the vortech what will be everyones argument again. a stupid wire over better flow

masterbuilder

Talking about cords in tanks and electrical issues and not wanting to nuke coral... I feel like I am the only person on the planet who bought a MP10 because it has a 72 hour battery backup.

No... That was a factor when I bought my MP-10s, I have the battery backup hooked to one of them. I lost my last tank due to a LONG power outage. The cost of the Vortechs and a back-up is nothing compared to the 1000s lost in corals.

The overriding reason I went with the MP-10s was I wanted as little crappy looking stuff in my tank as possible. Those Amano aquariums with absolutely no equipment seen are awesome. I think on my next tank I will spend whatever time it takes attempting to hide everything but that will be a long time from now.

well everyone keeps crying to defend the vortechs cause they are over priced. If they all stayed as quiet as you claim there wouldnt be so many threads about showing how to replace bearings and noisy vortech and all. In past my MP20 and MP10 where both very quiet but a Mp40 I tried sounded like a jet revving up and down and ecotech claimed it was normal. This pump is perfect for anyone who doesnt wanna spend a fortune and get just as good of flow be 100% dead silent and not cost the entire price of the pump everytime it goes down. For price of replacing a wetside cost as much as these jebao pumps once they hit amazon but no one complains about paying that to fix a pump that already cost a fortune in short amount of time. You dont ever hear Tunze pumps needing all kinda pricey parts to fix. The Vortechs are cheaply made and price tag preys on they hey look how cool I am. its the apple of the reef world.

Calling something overpriced is merely an opinion and not a fact.

Also a rotor is $32 and an Axle is $20 and a nozzle is $10. If something breaks on the wetside, you can buy the specific part, you don't need to spend a full $62 on a wetside. That would be silly.

masterbuilder

I don't understand why the Jebaos are being so directly compared to the Vortechs in the first place. They really dont have much in common other than they are both controllable pumps, with the Jebaos having somewhat limited control.

IMO...they are a knock off of the controllable Tunze pumps. Thats where the comparison should begin.

Jebao.jpgTunze.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics....not enough interest to look for better ones :D

masterbuilder

Ok....to me it looks like a Tunze more than a Vortech. Same mount, same wire, same controller, same flow ratings, etc.

Not picking a fight....I see nothing wrong with any of these pumps.

the WP25 yea i would say are basically a Tunze but I think the new RW8 doesnt look like a tunze at all I think they look like Vortech on a mount.

masterbuilder

1105.jpg260.jpg339.jpg

There ya go..... I see your point though. Looks like a Tunze and a Vortech got naughty. I still feel that its a Tunze knock off. Too each their own.

anyway. I am very pleased with my pump and its a GREAT bang for the buck. It will be an even better deal once they all hit amazon.

Steensj2004

Calling something overpriced is merely an opinion and not a fact.

Also a rotor is $32 and an Axle is $20 and a nozzle is $10. If something breaks on the wetside, you can buy the specific part, you don't need to spend a full $62 on a wetside. That would be silly.

Just replaced the shaft and backplate of the wetside for 20.00....do that with your Jebao...lol

I am not saying one is good and one is bad. But simply demanding one is ,"Better" based on your opinon doesn't magically make it a fact. Arguments like ,"They are overpriced" and," People are just rying to justify spending big money" are ridiculous. :rolleyes:

If and WHEN Jebao comes out with a pump that has a controller that is as controllable and well built as a Vortech, you will see it costing 200.00. Furthermore, it has been established 100x that mis-aligned wt/dry sides are the cause of bearing wear and noise. You cannot blame user error for the quality of the item.

jedimasterben

Furthermore, it has been established 100x that mis-aligned wt/dry sides are the cause of bearing wear and noise. You cannot blame user error for the quality of the item.

Not just. Heat is the real killer of the bearings, and while compounded by misalignment, the MP10 motor temperature gets much too high in such a small area. The MP40 and MP60 both have metal casings, versus the plastic on the MP10, and this helps out significantly and is why both are much quieter over time than the MP10, all things equal (such as proper alignment, etc). The MP60 goes a step further and is actively cooled.

Steensj2004

Not just. Heat is the real killer of the bearings, and while compounded by misalignment, the MP10 motor temperature gets much too high in such a small area. The MP40 and MP60 both have metal casings, versus the plastic on the MP10, and this helps out significantly and is why both are much quieter over time than the MP10, all things equal (such as proper alignment, etc). The MP60 goes a step further and is actively cooled.

Your right, forgot about that, you have mentioned that before. Just curious why it is ok to be a fanboy of Jebao and not of Vortech? Thats all, lol.

Again, I would like to try one of the new ones. Wasn't overly impressed of the original ones.

Just to mix things up even more. I'd get one of these if the Maxspect Riptide hadn't been announced. But now I'm just gonna use my tunze pumps until the Riptide is released. WOOOOOOOO

Steensj2004

:huh:

Just tired of people comparing the two and insisting that because the vortech is expensive it is a bad purchase. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Jebaos aren't Vortechs, and Vortechs aren't Jabeos....

Just to mix things up even more. I'd get one of these if the Maxspect Riptide hadn't been announced. But now I'm just gonna use my tunze pumps until the Riptide is released. WOOOOOOOO

I am really curious on those! Look pretty sweet! Can't find much info on them yet though...

Yeah, I'm following Coralvue on bookface and twitter waiting for the tiny tidbit of info to come out. Really excited to see more about the control app and what can be done. Just hoping I don't have to sell an arm and a leg to buy one.

Archived