Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jebao RW-8 vortech style pump review

05XRunner

Roshan8768

so your saying ONLY the powerhead could cause electrical problems. All those other things like heaters with cords in the tank. your skimmer pump with cord in the tank or a return pump in the sump with its cord in the tank NONE of that could ever cause any electrical risk. ONLY the pump cause its not a vortech with its cord on the outside. Give me a break. Someone is just trying to justify they paid SOOO much money for a pump to have a wire on the outside.

Yeah, I pointed out the same flaw in his logic, but hey... to each their own. If he wants to pay for and likes the mp10-40s better... then that's up to him :)

I think this pump looks a lot better than the wp series that I held off on buying... I'm seriously tempted to pick up one of these. Great review... hopefully the video with the flow pattern will demonstrate what it looks like in person a little better

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ClownTriggerDude
so your saying ONLY the powerhead could cause electrical problems. All those other things like heaters with cords in the tank. your skimmer pump with cord in the tank or a return pump in the sump with its cord in the tank NONE of that could ever cause any electrical risk. ONLY the pump cause its not a vortech with its cord on the outside. Give me a break. Someone is just trying to justify they paid SOOO much money for a pump to have a wire on the outside.

I agree, but that's why I always have a grounding probe in the tank and plugged into a GFCI outlet.

Even a light stray can affect or kill fish and corals.

Mine will be here Friday. I'm stoked!

Unlike some fan boys, I have owned and own many different pumps. I dont care if the pump is German,Us,Chinese, ect. A good pump is a good pump. Do I think these pumps have the same build quality as ecotechs?...nope...

I have 4 vortechs and love them. Sometimes they are a little loud, anyone who has owned one knows that.

It's all personal preference. My new tank is sooooo quite, the damn vortech sounds like a jet engine. The noise is killing me.

The more I check out all the crazy dope sps tanks overseas., I noticed they run in tank pumps. I've actually grown to like the look of the pump in the tank again. Call me crazy but it's true!

I get what your saying, but isn't the risk almost the same for any piece of equipment we stick in our tanks? If you have a heater, reactor or any kind of pump on your system doesn't it pose a similar risk? You should have a grounding probe in any case

Yup and I would gladly pay a premium to remove that risk if the option was available. Less wires in the tank still = less risk. Like I said the cost of a couple frags vs the potential to lose thousands of dollars (which I have done) to a pump with electrical components in the water is well worth it to me.

Also a grounding probe doesn't really remove the risk it somewhat lessens it but it directs the current to the probe but it doesn't make it just skip anywhere else and magically hop to the probe lol

Until the vortech gets all noisy and you want to throw it against the wall.

I have had mine for over 2 years now and the bubbles popping in my skimmer are louder. Yes it has gotten a little noisy once, I cleaned it tightened the screw on the wet side like 1/8 of a turn and presto back to being dead silent after I properly aligned it again ;)

so your saying ONLY the powerhead could cause electrical problems. All those other things like heaters with cords in the tank. your skimmer pump with cord in the tank or a return pump in the sump with its cord in the tank NONE of that could ever cause any electrical risk. ONLY the pump cause its not a vortech with its cord on the outside. Give me a break.

Nope, not at all what I said. Any cord in the tank poses a risk, unfortunately the technology isn't available to really remove the risk from certain components..... if it was it would be worth it to me to pay the premium for that reduction in risk.

Someone is just trying to justify they paid SOOO much money for a pump to have a wire on the outside.

LMAO..... sure your not just someone trying to justify being cheap? :P

Yeah, I pointed out the same flaw in his logic, but hey... to each their own. If he wants to pay for and likes the mp10-40s better... then that's up to him :)

No you misunderstood what I said, or tried to twist what I said to make it seem like I am saying nothing else poses a risk. Anything with cords/ electrical components in the water pose a risk..... but with every cord/ electrical component you remove from the water the lower the risk is.

I paid the premium for my mp40 because to me it is worth it. The price difference is just a couple nice frags, sure as hell beats risking a tank full of coral.... unless you had just gsp/xenia/kenya tree/ other various weeds....

Arkayology

I have had mine for over 2 years now and the bubbles popping in my skimmer are louder. Yes it has gotten a little noisy once, I cleaned it tightened the screw on the wet side like 1/8 of a turn and presto back to being dead silent after I properly aligned it again ;)

You are lucky. I have had 2 mp10s and an mp40 and all became noisy on the dry side after a year or two of using reef crest.

Get an empty tank and fill it with water and throw in something that will float around the water like beads then do a test video. Something like this:

You are lucky. I have had 2 mp10s and an mp40 and all became noisy on the dry side after a year or two of using reef crest.

The 1st year and a half it was ran on reef crest peaking at 100%. The last few months it is running about 70-80% on the 40B because it was pissing my scoly and rics off at 100% despite being half way (rics) and on the complete opposite side (scoly) of the tank.

The dry side has a slight hum, but it is only noticeable with everything else in the house and tank off and the kids sleeping.... the water entering my overflow box is louder then anything the mp40 puts out lol

if i was cheap I wouldnt have a Radion over my tank. Even then I am not 100% impressed now with it. I was at first but its not really showng its worth. None of my SPS look anywhere near as good as they did under the T5 light.

I am not buying an extra tank. adding water taking my pump out and doing all that. I posted videos of it moving water around and thats as far as I am going.

Hey I'll take 3" of wire in the tank if it means a quieter, cheaper pump that puts out more gph!! Would you say that one of these would be enough for a 40 breeder?

Get two pumps... two pumps is always superior to one. Even if they are two smaller pumps.

I think i will be adding the RW-4 to my tank when it is released just to give a little bit extra behind the rock work

It's not some huge difference in how wide the spread. But you can tell it's a little wider as it hits corals closer to it with flow the wp25 would take a little further before it spread out. I just poured in my vitamin c dose earlier and it's a cloudy mix do you could see the flow pattern. Tomorrow when I dose again I will make a video so everyone can physically see the flow pattern.

I bet the Rw-15 would be wider the the wp40. I think the look of the pumps alone are worth the small upgrade price from the wp models.

So for someone who hated the flow pattern of the WP series. This pump isn't as good as it looks?

I like the undertow Vortech's create, but it sounds like the RW isn't much different than a WP?

I think it makes more undertow then the WP series did. I would bet if you put the RW8 in a tank with an MP10 how wide and amount of undertow would probably be pretty close to the same.

I see it pulling some debris off the sand directly under it at times. my WP25 never seem to be able to do that and it is placed in basically the same spot in the tank as my wp25 was

I think it makes more undertow then the WP series did. I would bet if you put the RW8 in a tank with an MP10 how wide and amount of undertow would probably be pretty close to the same

I am guessing you don't have a mp10 to make a comparison? :( I would love to see someone pop a RW8 and a MP10 in a empty tank with the beads and film each to actually see whats going on here.

I have owned an MP10 before but that was a long time ago but I do remember it was in my old 30 breeder that was 30x18x12 and I always thought it felt a little underpowered in there. this RW8 in my 40breeder seems to move much more water in a larger tank with what looks like very little dead spots.

jedimasterben

I am guessing you don't have a mp10 to make a comparison? :( I would love to see someone pop a RW8 and a MP10 in a empty tank with the beads and film each to actually see whats going on here.

Buy one and I'll be glad to test them side-by-side. :)

I have owned an MP10 before but that was a long time ago but I do remember it was in my old 30 breeder that was 30x18x12 and I always thought it felt a little underpowered in there. this RW8 in my 40breeder seems to move much more water in a larger tank with what looks like very little dead spots.

Yeah a 40B would do best with 2 mp10's. I guess I am not concerned more about how the flow works than how far it shoots across the tank. In a perfect world I would do two RW4's > 1 RW8 anyways.

Everyone jerked off to the WP series but when I bought 3 of them.. they were like hot-tub jets and I resold them after 14 days and went back to my koralia's (not the nano ones) because they produced a wider flow.

Buy one and I'll be glad to test them side-by-side. :)

I already made that mistake with the WP's lol I probably will break down eventually... I have 1 WP left and it works fine in a 12g frag tank but I don't have high hopes for it in a 20g with an actual bioload so considering replacing it with a RW-4.

it still shoots across the tank pretty hard because at full power its pushing 2000gph. but I will say I am running mine in else mode in teh same spot as my WP25 and I am not blowing sand all over on the other side of the tank and dont need the use of the variable powersupply I was using on my WP25 to cut back its power. but its still moving ALOT of water where I went it to be so I would think that its throwing a good bit wider stream to disperse the flow and push the same gph but not cause as much sand storm

Talking about cords in tanks and electrical issues and not wanting to nuke coral... I feel like I am the only person on the planet who bought a MP10 because it has a 72 hour battery backup.

Looks good to me, very competetive price too, my WP-10 has a massive 2.5 inch of wire in the tank, running meseley voltage compared to my heater, and really i cant see any argument on the cable front.

I'll be ordering this new "gen" as soon as I can, never was one for vortechs to be honest, to much money for what they do, with a gimmicky cableless argument for marketing, but thats my view.

Lee

The RW-8 looks interesting.

In one tank I am running the Jebao WP10. In my new tank I now have the Vortech MP10. I have to admit, the Vortech is really nice. It is one of those all-around well-constructed devices. Function-wise I absolutely think Jebao is a close equal. In my case I am running a AIO nano tank with Euro-bracing in the main chamber. Running a WP10 cord up and over the Euro-bracing was not an option!

Thanks for making the videos and testing. I love the scape in your 40, but that's beside the point. Once these are a little cheaper I'll try on opposite my MP10 in my 40. I'm not sure the wider flow is something I want, but it's worth a try. I run my WP25 on a shorter pulse to keep it from blowing my sand around, so if a wider flow pattern means I can put more overall flow in the tank then I guess I'll have to buy yet another Jaebo pump. :)

ok here is another quick vid. I am dosing my daily Vit C and I am trying to show the pattern and how wide the flow can get. I feel like i should have done it in wave mode because the pulse would give a better look at the flow pattern instead of constant mode

Archived