05XRunner

The pump is in.

Here are some quick shots next to the WP25

JON_4490_zps1c1e915f.jpg

JON_4489_zpsa48a6111.jpg

JON_4483_zps039f04bc.jpg

JON_4485_zps16d87ea6.jpg

JON_4486_zpsc624764e.jpg

As you can see its just a tad shorter then the WP25. but the mouth is much larger opening. It basically looks like a MP10 in a little cradle as the whole unit in the tank instead of half/half.

You can only adjust the unit up and down no more 360 style like the old unit. It is dead silent even on full power.

The control box gives you more control then the old unit. as you now have 8 levels of power control instead of 3 so you can use it in smaller tanks and not blow up a huge sand storm.

I find it to be more visual appealing looking in the tank over the WP25.

The flow definetly seems to be a bit wider and doesnt push as far and narrow.

I can have it set to full power on else mode and it doesnt blow my sand all over on the other side of tank but its still giving very powerful flow all over in the tank and it does seem to cover a larger area and not as much of a jet like.

In W1 mode it seems to make my GSP swing back and forth more forcefully as it is pushing water harder in a wall and pulling harder creating a stronger undertow it seems.

overall for the price i paid was $101 shipped and once it hits amazon I will bet around $70 its EXCELLENT. I would have no need to want a MP10 over this. It has wide flow like it. Pushes 500gph more and is dead silent. Sure its not as neat having the motor on outside. but at almost 3rd price I dont mind.

The control box itself feels a bit cheap like the old one but it does the job it needs and has more flexibility then the previous one so thats a win to me. I think these 2 units the RW-8 and RW-15 are really going to give vortech a run now. They have the same design of the pump with the wide flow just dont have the motor outside but they are pushing water the same way now and little more then the compared respected model. I was running a Tunze 6015 with my WP25 to fill in dead spots in back of tank but I dont think i need it with this pump with its wider flow and stronger undertow it seems to be making.

Videos are uploading and will post shortly

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have to excuse my video LOL. When i filmed the quick WP25 I was good. Didnt realize i had phone turned other way so the video of the RW-8 is reversed cause it was upside down in the editor and I had to flip it. I shot the video in 4k its nothing special but gives a quick idea

Spiderguardnano

Super sick man can't wait till this hits amazon.

When will the video be posted?

I'm also just very curious on what e vortech comment on this is.

i am uploading another video..it will be done in a few min. its just to try to give it a look running in my tnk on else mode. and not backwards like the first video LOL

Nice review, appreciate the info! That is interesting with the models on the manual, i'd like to see an smaller one like an rw-4

has nothing to do with wires in tank..the pumps can talk wireless to each other if you have 2 or more..just like the Vortechs do.

has nothing to do with wires in tank..the pumps can talk wireless to each other if you have 2 or more..just like the Vortechs do.

So still really not comparable to a vortech then..... Until they can get the wires out of the tank its just another pump with a wire in the tank to me. I couldn't care less about pumps talking to eachother, you can run them through a controller and make them do whatever you want, its the wire not being in the water that makes it worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$ and different then anything else on the market ;)

jedimasterben

So still really not comparable to a vortech then..... Until they can get the wires out of the tank its just another pump with a wire in the tank to me. I couldn't care less about pumps talking to eachother, you can run them through a controller and make them do whatever you want, its the wire not being in the water that makes it worth the extra $$$$$$$$$$ and different then anything else on the market ;)

nuh uh

Roshan8768

hey if you wanna spend 3 times the cost for like 3" of a wire in tank be my guest.

Hey I'll take 3" of wire in the tank if it means a quieter, cheaper pump that puts out more gph!! Would you say that one of these would be enough for a 40 breeder?

mine is in a 40breeder and I feel like its enough. Its pushing alot of water around in the tank. it makes pretty much zero noise. you have to listen to hear the slight hum ramp up and down but if your not paying attention for it you dont hear it

Adrnalnrsh

How wide is the flow/spread compared to the WP25?

I feel that my WP40 could be wider.

Nevermind, I should of read the full review

It's not some huge difference in how wide the spread. But you can tell it's a little wider as it hits corals closer to it with flow the wp25 would take a little further before it spread out. I just poured in my vitamin c dose earlier and it's a cloudy mix do you could see the flow pattern. Tomorrow when I dose again I will make a video so everyone can physically see the flow pattern.

I bet the Rw-15 would be wider the the wp40. I think the look of the pumps alone are worth the small upgrade price from the wp models.

hey if you wanna spend 3 times the cost for like 3" of a wire in tank be my guest.

If it was only from an viewing pleasure stand point sure its not a huge deal breaker.... but IMO that 3" of wire and all the electrical components being inside the tank is just a risk of potential failure/ stray voltage..... its worth a couple frags to remove that potential risk IMO ;)

Roshan8768

If it was only from an viewing pleasure stand point sure its not a huge deal breaker.... but IMO that 3" of wire and all the electrical components being inside the tank is just a risk of potential failure/ stray voltage..... its worth a couple frags to remove that potential risk IMO ;)

I get what your saying, but isn't the risk almost the same for any piece of equipment we stick in our tanks? If you have a heater, reactor or any kind of pump on your system doesn't it pose a similar risk? You should have a grounding probe in any case

Arkayology

Hey OP, how about a video on w1?

Until the vortech gets all noisy and you want to throw it against the wall.

so your saying ONLY the powerhead could cause electrical problems. All those other things like heaters with cords in the tank. your skimmer pump with cord in the tank or a return pump in the sump with its cord in the tank NONE of that could ever cause any electrical risk. ONLY the pump cause its not a vortech with its cord on the outside. Give me a break. Someone is just trying to justify they paid SOOO much money for a pump to have a wire on the outside.

Archived