SaltCritters.com

10 gallon Starfire build!

CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW
Well. I bit the bullet. After a few years in the fresh water scene I made the move and took down my 10 gallon shrimp tank. Due to my budget I wanted to keep things small for now. I know the whole debate about nanos but that aside here is what I'm up to.

Tank is a 10 gallon starfire tank from aqua inspiration.

45x27.5x30 cm so that's about 17 by 10 by 12 inches.

u8evenut.jpg

The aragonite I got for free from a user

As you can see its a shallow bed, just enough for the live rock to sit nicely.

This is pinky. My partner in crime. He always joins me when I clean my tank ( he chases the bubbles in the siphon lol )

3ydane7e.jpg

Picked up a goose neck 30 cm with tank mount for my par38 bulb. Gooseneck was from fragbox (great place ) and the bulb was from aquatic kingdom. Same ones they use to run the stores.

ebaja9e6.jpg

Picked up one of these for flow. I initially was going to use an empty nexx filter but the pump is an eye sore and so I picked this up for flow instead. Love it. Controller module is pretty cool as well.

7e9y6e6a.jpg

Here is what I got so far. A random power filter I found for flow. Then the power head on the opposite side. So far I see some great flow with no dead spots. (When it was just the power filter on there were tons of dead spots ) the live rock was from that same user I spoke of earlier. Picked up about 15-20 pounds or so.

ama8ytap.jpg

I made sure I have roughly an inch or so around the whole parameter of the tank for circulation , and easy glass clean up. I have a magfloat algae thing for my 55 but it would be too big.

You guys think I should get the uber small version of it or the blade with the long stick ?

Thoughts , opinions etc. water and rock have been there for a few days. Had some cycled water too from his tank. Salinity at 1.023 may raise it a bit more. Haven't tested parameters yet. Also for my temp at a steady 78 degrees. Shot everything with my iphone 5, was too lazy to take out the DSLR. maybe once I get some zoas and shrooms in there ill go to town on some proper photos.

NorthGaHillbilly

Looks great! Be careful with that substrate, it will hold a lot of detritus with the grains being so large

CatfishSoupFTW

Nice tank looks uber clean. Welcome aboard.

Two Fishies makes a great nano-glass cleaner.

much thanks, ill take a look a it!

Looks great! Be careful with that substrate, it will hold a lot of detritus with the grains being so large

yeah i was worried about that. I got good flow though it seems so maybe it shouldnt be too bad. ill have to see. so many things you hear about sand or gravel etc, that sometimes you just gotta go for it. xD

CatfishSoupFTW

Great start! That's a clean little setup you have. I really like that light clamp you have.

much thanks. I got it from fragbox.ca the store was located in my city so i visited them, got it for 30 bucks flat. the two head model was 40 bucks but i dont need that right now. pretty sweet deal as most goosenecks i find are 40-50 bucks. I think Coral compulsion ? sells tem for 45 or so.

it was scary clamping it down onto the glass. you gotta bend the gooseneck before you put it on the glass. its real strong.

CatfishSoupFTW

I got a question for anyone who sees this.

what are thoughts on live stock? I would like a clown, but im worried about bioload.

i know many do pistol shrimp and goby, but can i do pistol shrimp and clown?

or shrimp, clown, star?

NorthGaHillbilly

I doubt youll have any problem with the clown and goby as long as you are careful with your feedings.

CatfishSoupFTW

I wouldnt go too bananas on feed.

what im eyeing are a few things.

2 clowns one shrimp and maybe a hermit crab?

1 clown one shrimp one crab

1 clown one shrimp one goby?

most of the tank will be zoas, so if i do get a clown, my concern would be refuge. what can i grow in the ten gallon? I also have quite a bit of live rock in there, 15-20 pounds or so, which is quite a bit. its tight, but there is space all around. like a tower almost with a cave ( as seen in picture)

• 2 weeks later...
CatfishSoupFTW
Front shot of the tank ! :)

ytujeben.jpg

A nice zoa colony I have. Not sure which. Some identification would be nice !

ejujuba7.jpg

sezysyry.jpg

Acan ?

eva5ybaz.jpg

Shroom ?

ydy8a5ur.jpg

Green polyp Can't wait until it carpets !

ubuvetap.jpg

pyvameme.jpg

Another zoa. Bare with me on the picture quality. If they don't look good on the thread (via iPhone and tapatalk ) I'll bust out the dslr. It's just nice and convenient through the iPhone. too much purple too with the lack of dynamic range and w/b

Thoughts ? :) also got five blue legged hermit grabs. :) they are pretty active. Se have changed shells too.

• 2 weeks later...
CatfishSoupFTW

One shot with a corrected white balance, and another one where my iphone said otherwise, but works for the better. lol I dont have moon lights yet, but im trying to see what I can do in that department. Also, picked up a green tipped Hammer head, which I love !!! when I get clowns i hope they get along.

Also picked up.. not sure what its called, but its in the middle to the left, if someone could identify that would be great. Also, on the right hand side, with the red skeletal body, and the minty green tips, if someone could identify that. Its similar to my green polyps but with a skeletal body.

5tmttu5vtplfl1zfg.jpg

8sj3775b67p37hwfg.jpg

1jhggwowo5jw4y8fg.jpg

Nice. Looks good so far. What you thought was an acan is definately an acan lord. It's a pretty nice looking one, too. I like the green in it. And the one you asked if it is a shroom, is actually a blasto. Blastos are really cool!

On your last post, the one towards the left is a favia, I believe. I am not quite sure what the one towards the right is, though. Need a closer picture.

CatfishSoupFTW

Nice. Looks good so far. What you thought was an acan is definately an acan lord. It's a pretty nice looking one, too. I like the green in it. And the one you asked if it is a shroom, is actually a blasto. Blastos are really cool!

On your last post, the one towards the left is a favia, I believe. I am not quite sure what the one towards the right is, though. Need a closer picture.

Much thanks ! Once I get back home at the end of the week I'll get a tighter shot of the one on the right ! Still trying to learn all these god damn names. Haha

• 2 weeks later...
CatfishSoupFTW

unynyqu3.jpg

Anyone know what this is ?

It's the only coral that hasn't opened ever since I bought it. Gave it a dip in revive and kicked a lot of nasties. It's been in the tank for 2-3 weeks. Doesn't look it's best.

• 3 weeks later...

unynyqu3.jpg

Anyone know what this is ?

It's the only coral that hasn't opened ever since I bought it. Gave it a dip in revive and kicked a lot of nasties. It's been in the tank for 2-3 weeks. Doesn't look it's best.

Pipe Organ Coral

CatfishSoupFTW

Yeah my pipe organ hasn't been doing too well. I got a poly filter and it's been helping a bit. Noticed more extension but it's gonna take a while.

Also

Anyone know what this is ? The tiny thing with the orange leg. 3ugu2uru.jpg

Because whatever it is. It's moving

• 2 weeks later...
CatfishSoupFTW

I got a question for the community.

so, my tank... I love it. 10 galllon build, no issues yet. been running since april. BUT... I got too much live rock, and its been running for a few years (8) so i dunnno if I should take it out and let it dry orrrrrr do the following.

a. Get my 2213, empty it out, put some LR in it, but not too much.

b. 22 gallon starfire cube, drilled, maxijet return pump( which i own, 500 gph at 3 foot head max, and it would only travel about half that) and a protein skimmer

c. all in one set up.

option a, its free basically. no extra expenses.

option b, the most expensive. tank about 200 ish for a 22 starfire cube , plus plumping, plus protein skimmer im looking at another 400 or so.

option c, I can get an AIO from china, 25 gallon with chambers, for 170 including shipping, and then maybe grab a skimmer.

now financially i cant say ill be blowing 10023343 dollars, but, id like to do things right, in which would make me happy, and if it requires a bit more savings then so be it. Option B sounds amazing, but again financially dunno.

option C is this

http://www.fireaq.com/Marine%20Tank/135.aspx

the tank is only 52 bucks US which is a joke haha. but shipping the guy said about 120 i think - but even then, still cheaper than most quotes from local shops. 200 -400 plus.

i dig the AIO, but i dunno... i know i dont NEED a skimmer, but having one would be nice, and i dunno how id feel with having it up top showing. but then again, im used to seeing equipment, as i got a 55 fresh water with 3 canisters, and 2 power heads. lol oh and a heater.

so , what does le internet thinks?

• 4 weeks later...
nubsauce2010

i personally like the aio but if you have a free option why not take it free means use money for other things like corals :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sweet looking tank! Im from Toronto as well! March at Fragbox is great and I've had my eye on a 7 gallon cube from AI for a long time now. I might just get it.

CatfishSoupFTW

Sweet looking tank! Im from Toronto as well! March at Fragbox is great and I've had my eye on a 7 gallon cube from AI for a long time now. I might just get it.

this quickly turned into a 10 gallon sump, on a 21 cube from AI. reason being is I got too much equipment on the back, and decided to make a sump/overflow etc. havent posted the upgrade yet, but with this set up, I feel like I have more space to breath. MY fish have more space too, as I found I ended up too LR heavy in the 10 gallon.

this quickly turned into a 10 gallon sump, on a 21 cube from AI. reason being is I got too much equipment on the back, and decided to make a sump/overflow etc. havent posted the upgrade yet, but with this set up, I feel like I have more space to breath. MY fish have more space too, as I found I ended up too LR heavy in the 10 gallon.

I can relate to that.. 10 pounds of live rock took up a whole lot of space in my standard 10. Upgrading to a custom 35 with a 20L sump. Using my 10 for ATO. Can I ask why you chose the par from AK over Fragbox?

Archived