Pod Your Reef

Dry Rock cycle help!

aviator300

aviator300

I'm starting a 10 gal tank in a few days and using dry BRS Reef-saver rock and basic (non live) Aragonite sand.

I'll be doing the "Dr Tims one and only" bacteria starter thing along with liquid ammonia to get the cycle going.

I have 2 questions.

1. I plan on only floss and carbon in my filter while cycling but do you think that carbon will slow things down and affect the cycle?

2. Should I leave my protein skimmer off during the cycle since it may remove some of the things i'm trying to establish?

Thanks very much in advance for everyone's help in this matter. AVIATOR300

If you are cycling, you don't need any media. You can save your money until you have some livestock in there. Just let the bacteria do its thing.

masterbuilder

My 2 cents...no carbon or other media. If you're set up to use mechanical media like filter floss or pads, go ahead and use those and change them as needed. Once they cycle is complete, I run carbon (and gfo if needed) for a few of days. Then a 50% water change. Leave the skimmer off.

aviator300

That is what i thought, but i wanted to run it by those who have more experience than I..Thanks very much.

Archived