Pod Your Reef

Mirya's Floridian Flower Garden - All kinds of new things!

Mirya

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spenseriana

Maybe some people trying to get rid of aggressive dottybacks without tearing down the tank will have to get some St.Thomas shrooms. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled upon this video today. It is an interview with Kara of KP Aquatics about their business and what it is like collecting out in the Keys. Nice to know that they hand net all their fish and hear a little about their fish holding procedures:

FlowerMama

Yeah, I watched it a couple weeks back. I'd love to see where they are the next time I go to Key Largo & the Keys, if possible.

I stumbled upon this video today. It is an interview with Kara of KP Aquatics about their business and what it is like collecting out in the Keys. Nice to know that they hand net all their fish and hear a little about their fish holding procedures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlCK9b4zHU

Kara's awesome! Thanks for posting this...I really enjoyed watching it :). So cool about the future of their live rock too!

So cool about the future of their live rock too!

Yup, sounds like it is just going to get much more beautiful as time goes on! The live rock in this tank is from KP Aquatics, and I've been quite happy with it. Though I will say, I've loved the Manicinas that come in on Gulf Live Rock.

I'm making upgrade plans for this tank! The repair I made to the seam I popped in February is still holding. However, I will be moving in the next few months, which I figure will afford the perfect oppurtunity to upgrade the tank! I love the long shallow look of this tank (36" x 13"), but I hate that the display area of the tank is only 9" deep. I thought a lot about getting the Mr Aqua 22L low-iron. Roughly same footprint by a 3" deeper display but 1" shorter. I figured why not try to maximize my space; my stand can accomodate a larger tank. The stand can't take a 40 breeder unfortunately, it can only take a tank 16" deep. Therefore I'm thinking of ordering a custom tank with the dimensions: 40" x 16" x 16".

And, I'll have a sump! Which means figuring out a whole lotta plumbing stuff. :o So to help out with the process I've started a brainstorming thread for building questions. It's located here: Floridian Flower Garden Upgrade Help.

I even downloaded SketchUp so I can make horible renderings of ideas I'm having:

New%20Tank%20Back%20Overflow_zps3fjw5dxb

FlowerMama

Yeah, def go for it and the other tank as a sump will be perfect, less water in it, even less likelihood of a seem busting. I never did this before either and I learned so much, it made it fun.

Awesome! I love the long, panoramic tanks. If you don't want to order a custom tank, have you considered a standard 30 gallon? Those are 36" x 13" x 16".

I have attempted multiple times to create something in SketchUp. Usually I'm very good at figuring out new software, but I just don't get it!

What light would you put over a 40" tank?

I have attempted multiple times to create something in SketchUp. Usually I'm very good at figuring out new software, but I just don't get it!

What light would you put over a 40" tank?

I'd continue to use my NanoBox Quad. I know it will be a little dark on the edges, but with a little extra wiggle room I wouldn't have my scape completely abutting the glass. Besides I do have some cup corals that are NPS if I'd really want something on the edges.

I have hemmed and hawed about things too. I made a cardboard mock-up of the tank dimensions. Contemplating cutting the length down to 38".

I think I'm going to cut the length down to 38" and the width down to 14". I like having the lip around the tank on the stand. (The top of the stand is granite.) I can set stuff there while feeding, I can have my Apex water sensors hiding behind the tank on it. Etc. I'll see what quotes are for that dimension and compare it to a Starphire 30gal. I did take a look at some 30gallon tanks yesterday, and the proportions aren't quite what I would like. Anyways, to make the proportions of a 38" long tank equal to my current tank (which I love the proportions of), the height of the tank should be 14". However, I'm thinking of stretching it a hair up to 15" since I like gorgonians.

Here is a SketchUp of a 15" high on the left vs a 14" high on the right. Even in this picture I like the proportions of the 14" high more, but I figure once I have a sand bed in there the 15" will be good.

15v14_zpswzwrvac6.jpg

Deciding where I want to put the overflow and return line. If I have the overflow in a corner, I'd put the return in the opposite corner. If I put the overflow in the center, I guess I can have dual returns on either side of the overflow or still put it in a corner? Someone suggested I put an overflow in each corner, but that seems like overkill? The overflow I'm looking at is rated for 800 GPH and this tank is about 34gallons. The back box on the left of each tank is my Gyre pump btw.

New%20Tank%20Back%20Overflow%203_zps4bbm

Finally learned how to do some video editting and uploading!

Here is a video taken May 27, not long after I bought the two serpent stars. The green banded serpent decided to get too close to Jawfish's personal space.

Finally learned how to do some video editting and uploading!

Here is a video taken May 27, not long after I bought the two serpent stars. The green banded serpent decided to get too close to Jawfish's personal space.

I was expecting a war LOL. But the jawfish was so gentle :). That starfish is so pretty. If I were to get another someday I'd definitely look for the green.

Been getting quotes from various aquarium builders for the upgrade. Looks like I will be choosing between SC Aquariums, Oceans by Design, and Reef Savvy. If I had all the money in the world I'd go with Reef Savvy no hesitation, but...

I've been looking at sumps as well. My sump space is somewhat limited based on the way my stand is constructed, so I need to go with a cube sump. I think I have narrowed it down to either Advanced Acrylics Basic Cube Sump or Building an Obsession Cube Sump. IDK that I really need a refugium area in the sump since I do have some macroalgaes in the display. I mean, it would be nice and all but space is at a premium. I like that the BAO sump has an adjustable height for the water depth in the skimmer section though. The BAO, once you include shipping (free shipping on the AA sump) is $180 more than the AA sump though!

Cough reef savvy ;) beyond beautiful tanks but yea $$$ he'll make my 48x24x16 next year if upgrade again lol.

Yeah, I think when I eventually get a big ass tank I'll go Reef Savvy, but for now... Reef Savvy is about $200 more than SC Aquariums or Oceans by Design. Of course, that $200 difference likely comes mostly from the phantom bottom I asked for in the quote. Ugh, I need to sleep on it.

Anyways, I am looking at other pieces of equipment for the tank too. Skimmer research occurred today. I stalked a lot of the tank threads I'm subscribed to and looked at what skimmers others were running. There was a lot of Vertex Omega 130. A very nice skimmer for sure. It also has a big footprint though. There were also some Bubble Magus Curve 5 and Reef Octopus 110. THe later has a biggish footprint considering one of the sumps I'm looking at. A few people were using the HOB Aquamaxx as well.

So I looked at a lot of online aquarium stores and tried to narrow down skimmer choices based on things relatively energy efficient, reportedly easy to clean, not reported to make tons of microbubbles, and not too huge a footprint. (The BAO sump has a 10.5x9 skimmer chamber, the AA a 15x9 skimmer chamber.) I think I have things narrowed down to:

- Aquamaxx WS-1

- AquaMaxx Cone S CO-1

- Bubble Magus Curve 5

- Skimz SN143 Monzter Mini (late addition!)

Any other skimmers I should consider? Which of those 3 4 do people prefer?

Reef Savy is amazing. My only issue was the 8-10 month wait they had.

What about Pico on here?

PicO isn't building for the rest of the year while he sources a new glass supplier. :(

HarryPotter

PicO isn't building for the rest of the year while he sources a new glass supplier. :(

What dimensions are you looking for?

Does CadLights do custom work?

Archived