Pod Your Reef

Mirya's Floridian Flower Garden - All kinds of new things!

Mirya

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful new additions! I just got a swissguard basslet too! Had ordered a swales that was sent out on the wrong order, so the store offered to send a swissguard at the same price. Lovely fish, and that new St. Thomas is :wub:

• 1 month later...

Fish and new additions are all doing great since I got them last month. I love, love, love the Swissguard. Now that he is settled in he isn't shy at all and spends a lot of time swimming out and about. He does like to go to his cave for bedtime though. At mealtimes he is really polite about letting the neon goby grab something to eat first before he grabs anything. He will grab food from right in front of the jawfish though. To be fair, the jawfish is pretty territorial and very food motivated, so what comes around goes around!

I have another Caribbean mushroom that I will be adding soon. Discosoma neglecta. Should come in two weeks. I ordered it from AquaSD tonight:

RainbowDiscoNeglectaB-RETAILPRICE-100-SA

They are expecting some red Balanophyllia that I want to add to my Nuvo8 in a week, hence no shipment for closer to two weeks.

thats one sweet mushroom

Whoa, that shroom looks awesome.

Thanks guys! I love the dagged edges on this one.

D. neglecta is a lot slower growing than its Pacific counterparts. It doesn't pop up for sale too often. KP Aquatics has them occasionally, but they don't have WYSIWYG ordering.

Oh Pretty! I never saw a mushroom w/ that fringe before. Nice find Myra. I'm always excited to see something I've not seen- of course there are many things I haven't seen.

Updated pics on the Brain and Rose Coral?

I'll have to work on that! Maybe this weekend. :) The rose was so fat and happy tonight when I fed him. The brain has been a little pissy because I've tried moving him around in the tank to find a place where he won't attack of surrounding corals. (He burned my gorgonian.) He really prefers this one spot where unfortunately he can get sweepers out to hit areas where I would like to put other corals. I might need to rehome him. :(

In the meantime...

evening-espresso-20-photos-414.jpg

Whoot, got my e-mail from Saltwateraquarium.com today that my Gyre XF130 has shipped! I've been dieing to see how this pump would perform for this nice long tank. I'll probably have a MP-10 on the market soon. :D

Right before Christmas, Saltwateraquarium.com had a special on gift certificates. I bought a $250 gift certificate and got a free $100 gift certificate. I used the $250 to pre-order the Gyre, so now I have $100 fun money to use with them on whatever I want. :)

Updated pics on the Brain and Rose Coral?

Put on your shades, the Rose has been getting really bright! I swear this isn't Photoshop trickery!

Rose_zps213bfc49.jpg

I love the little red streaks that are starting to come in.

Here is a kinda wonky angled view with a distorted grumpy jawfish photobombing in the background:

Skewed_zps482e1629.jpg

Some macroalgae started shading part of the brain. I didn't realize it was getting tissue recession under there as a result until after I moved it. I'm sure it will bounce back though. It is a tough coral.

Brain2_zpsbf2277b8.jpg

Jelly! Still no word from marine depot.

Ouch, bummer. I'm sure it will be coming soon though! MD said on another forum that they will have plenty coming to fulfill all their pre-orders with.

Put on your shades, the Rose has been getting really bright! I swear this isn't Photoshop trickery!

Rose_zps213bfc49.jpg

I love the little red streaks that are starting to come in.

Here is a kinda wonky angled view with a distorted grumpy jawfish photobombing in the background:

Skewed_zps482e1629.jpg

OH MY!! Where do I get one of those?

OH MY!! Where do I get one of those?

Collecting hard corals from the Caribbean is illegal unless they happen to have settled and started growing on aquacultured live rock. I happened to get this piece from Nemonlizzy here on the forums, who had gotten both the rose and the brain with some cultured live rock. Not sure which vendor he got it from. Guits has a fantastic tank of Caribbean hard corals that he all got as hitchhikers from Gulf Live Rock.

Collecting hard corals from the Caribbean is illegal unless they happen to have settled and started growing on aquacultured live rock. I happened to get this piece from Nemonlizzy here on the forums, who had gotten both the rose and the brain with some cultured live rock. Not sure which vendor he got it from. Guits has a fantastic tank of Caribbean hard corals that he all got as hitchhikers from Gulf Live Rock.

I ordered some Gulf Live Rock to start up my tank in hopes of getting one. No luck this time, but I will be trying again.

They are tough to find, it helps if you can go and pick it out yourself. That rose was one that I picked out when it was a baby baby. No bigger than a dime when I picked it out. The brain about the size of a silver dollar. Not ALL corals are illegal to harvest from the Caribbean or the Florida Coast. Just gotta read up on the laws.

jedimasterben

They are tough to find, it helps if you can go and pick it out yourself. That rose was one that I picked out when it was a baby baby. No bigger than a dime when I picked it out. The brain about the size of a silver dollar. Not ALL corals are illegal to harvest from the Caribbean or the Florida Coast. Just gotta read up on the laws.

All stony corals, regardless of species, are illegal to harvest from the Atlantic.

facepalm_zps9d4c3c5c.jpg

I swear somewhere I read the dimensions on the 130, checked it out with my tank, and saw that it would fit (barely), and then placed the pre-order. WTF was I thinking? (Admittedly the perspective of the above shot makes the 130 look even wider than it actually is in comparison to my tank though.) That was before my surgery even, so I can't blame it on the Percocet. /sigh I guess I will just be waiting on the kit to mod the 130 to run just 1 cage.

Some macroalgae started shading part of the brain. I didn't realize it was getting tissue recession under there as a result until after I moved it. I'm sure it will bounce back though. It is a tough coral.

Brain2_zpsbf2277b8.jpg

Ouch, bummer. I'm sure it will be coming soon though! MD said on another forum that they will have plenty coming to fulfill all their pre-orders with.

What species of brain coral is this? I've found several different species through online retailers but none that looks this classically brainy.

Saw this tank today! Just beautiful! It was nice to meet you, Mirya.

It was really nice to put a face to the name, Spenseriana! And now I will have to hound you to get that Cardiff cycled! ;)

What species of brain coral is this? I've found several different species through online retailers but none that looks this classically brainy.

My guess is that it is Diploria labrynthiformis, the Caribbean grooved brain coral. It isn't available through a retailer, you need to luck out on getting it on some live rock cultured in the Gulf.

Archived