Pod Your Reef

Reason behind cerith snail quantity?

Bropez

Hey there,

I was planning to bulk up my current clean up crew and was wondering why the bulk of your packages are certiths? Are they the secret key to a spotless tank? Or just readily available to you?

jedimasterben

The dwarf ceriths are stupid common and are really, really tiny. John just takes a bigass scoop and is all 'yeah, that looks like 10' and puts them in a bag, usually you order 10 and get 2-300 of them, ranging from 1/4" to specs of sand.

The dwarf ceriths are stupid common and are really, really tiny. John just takes a bigass scoop and is all 'yeah, that looks like 10' and puts them in a bag, usually you order 10 and get 2-300 of them, ranging from 1/4" to specs of sand.

You should see the floor of my tank :) It is now a cerith shell bed.

jedimasterben

You should see the floor of my tank :) It is now a cerith shell bed.

I had a little pistol shrimp that loved them. Would break them and use them to hole up in a rock lol

My urchin likes to use them as a disguise every so often, and it also likes to try and pull off my magnet cleaner but it is too strong

johnmaloney

Sorry if anyone is upset with the size of the dwarf Ceriths. You can get the Florida Ceriths in the future they are larger. Send me an email when you can and we can work something out for you.

Ceriths are versatile cleaners and probably my favorite genus of snail. If you prefer crews that do not feature them you can order a la carte crews if you like.

jedimasterben

Ceriths and dwarf ceriths are both awesome, and its something of a wonder to behold when dumping a few hundred into the tank and watching them crawl away en masse :)

Hey there,

I was planning to bulk up my current clean up crew and was wondering why the bulk of your packages are certiths? Are they the secret key to a spotless tank? Or just readily available to you?

They're definitely my favorite snail. The Mexican Cerith variety are shiny and black with some white dots on their spiral shells. Mine sticks to rock and glass mostly, But the Caribbean variety love to burrow in the sand, which is highly beneficial to your tank health. Carribean Ceriths eat off of the rock and glass too, though!

Look into Banded Trochus Snails! Amazing as well.

Available eat nasty GHA and do not bull doze frags ...IMO

This x 1000. They're such delicate, beautiful creatures.

My skunk cleaner shrimp pair makes a meal out of dwarf ceriths. :( So I have a crap ton of shells that I would really like to get out. I need one of those sifters that would allow the sand through but not the shell. Ideas?

My skunk cleaner shrimp pair makes a meal out of dwarf ceriths. :( So I have a crap ton of shells that I would really like to get out. I need one of those sifters that would allow the sand through but not the shell. Ideas?

A fish net?

Jacob042426

Dwarf ceriths are my favorites, I don't glue my frags, and I don't have to worry about the ceriths knocking everything down. They are also able to get all the nooks and crannies in the rocks.

Just in case anything was mis-interpreted here, and I think it was, I was just wondering if there was a REASON for the mass of the CUC being ceriths. I guess my answer is:

Cerith snails rock your socks because they dig through the sand bad, keep the glass clean, get into all the nooks and crannies, and dont knock all your frags all over the place ALL whilst hiding and not being unsightly for the most part EVEN THOUGH they are apparently beautiful.

Archived