inTank Media Baskets

Luxeon Rebel ES 'Lime' - pics and PAR

jedimasterben

I think that is a lemon, not a lime ;)

Google image search would not lie to me. This is the internets!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

So perhaps this was obvious to everyone but me, but these lime uglies might be the solution for the folks having issues with LED's because they insist on making them too bright. Having a diode that greatly increases the perceived brightness without adding too much PAR is a good thing.

/Captain Obvious

Overall brightness is only one part of what makes these LEDs work well. They change the perceived color of the light in a way that I can't quite describe. The only way I can describe it is that you go from a light that says "yeah, that's LED", to something more like "can't quite tell if it's LED or MH".

jedimasterben

Overall brightness is only one part of what makes these LEDs work well. They change the perceived color of the light in a way that I can't quite describe. The only way I can describe it is that you go from a light that says "yeah, that's LED", to something more like "can't quite tell if it's LED or MH".

It is extremely noticeable if I switch from using 4K high-CRI whites to just lime - the light is as bright, but just plain different, but it's certainly not a bad different - just different to what we typically see from LEDs. :)

I've actually been playing around with no white LEDs at all :ninja:

So perhaps this was obvious to everyone but me, but these lime uglies might be the solution for the folks having issues with LED's because they insist on making them too bright. Having a diode that greatly increases the perceived brightness without adding too much PAR is a good thing.

/Captain Obvious

This is the best argument for lime emitters so far. Of course we can do this by adding more whites. With limes we alsom must balance blue.

The only other argument I've seen bandied about is that it adds a certain je ne sais quoi. Personally that one just isn't persuasive.

Paleoreef103

It is extremely noticeable if I switch from using 4K high-CRI whites to just lime - the light is as bright, but just plain different, but it's certainly not a bad different - just different to what we typically see from LEDs. :)

I've actually been playing around with no white LEDs at all :ninja:

I'm pretty sure one of the pacific sun fixtures lacks whites. I think they used standard ambers, but obviously some PC Ambers and Limes would be much preferable.

Edit: Yep. http://www.pacific-sun.eu/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=119&Itemid=213

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Higher CCT means more blue, less of everything else, so adding anything other than blue will decrease CCT.

Higher CCT means more blue, less of everything else, so adding anything other than blue will decrease CCT.

Ahh ok. How come in the BML custom spectrum maker if you put a 2700K and a 5700K but then add a green LED the CCT goes up? That particular green is bluer than lime?

jedimasterben

Ahh ok. How come in the BML custom spectrum maker if you put a 2700K and a 5700K but then add a green LED the CCT goes up? That particular green is bluer than lime?

There is no green LED that is more blue than any others, both green and lime do not reach into the blue range.

Rebel%2520and%2520ES%2520lime%2520PCambe

Rebel%2520and%2520ES%2520color.png

Their estimates are just that - estimates.

• 2 months later...
jedimasterben

So I just put this together for Metrokat, it's her revamped fuge light.

IMG_20140823_140022139.jpg

2x 5000K Rebel ES white, 4x Rebel ES royal blue, 2x Rebel blue, and 2x tristars that each have a Rebel ES royal blue, Rebel ES lime, and Rebel red. My cell picks up the red above all else (which is what happens with reds), and the light it casts looks pink-purple on the phone, but it's a very crisp blue color with no purple. Really a beautiful light. I'm really liking the tristars, it's a great combination IMHO.

I'll try and figure out some way to hang it and get some pics with a DSLR.

... Really a beautiful light. I'm really liking the tristars, it's a great combination IMHO...

660nmreds? I presume this is to give the macro algae in a refugium a boost in growth?

Great combination for what? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

jedimasterben

660nmreds? I presume this is to give the macro algae in a refugium a boost in growth?

Great combination for what? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

No, not deep red, just red. These were more for a test than anything, but she wanted to be better able to take pictures without getting a crapload of red from the 3x deep red I put in it before, so now there are only two 630nm reds.

The royal/lime/red combo is a great tristar that looks white but still gives good color. Like RGB, but not crappy :)

No, not deep red, just red. These were more for a test than anything, but she wanted to be better able to take pictures without getting a crapload of red from the 3x deep red I put in it before, so now there are only two 630nm reds.

The royal/lime/red combo is a great tristar that looks white but still gives good color. Like RGB, but not crappy :)

what valtage would you run the tristar at , would you need anyother suplamental leds to ballence them out for a light over the main tank

jedimasterben

what valtage would you run the tristar at , would you need anyother suplamental leds to ballence them out for a light over the main tank

They aren't for use as primary lighting. LEDs aren't voltage-driven, they are current-driven, so run them on a constant current driver with a maximum current that is at or lower than the max current of the LEDs.

Well now, that's interesting. Better colour rendition than the blue, turquoise and red combo of an ocw?

Does this change your opinion on the use of 630 reds in a light or would you still not bother over your tank?

jedimasterben

Well now, that's interesting. Better colour rendition than the blue, turquoise and red combo of an ocw?

It doesn't have the same strange look as the OCW does, it has a different look to it, but it's still not that bad.

Does this change your opinion on the use of 630 reds in a light or would you still not bother over your tank?

My next array probably won't have any dedicated reds except for possibly moonlight (moonlight is almost all red anyway), but it is nice to know that I do not get any banding from the reds when used on tri-stars. :)

NirvanaandTool

Liking that color mix there. Might have to steal that for my eventual new fuge light. I've got some cheapo 10W LEDs but I feel like I could get so much better growth using some RB & Red.

jedimasterben

Liking that color mix there. Might have to steal that for my eventual new fuge light. I've got some cheapo 10W LEDs but I feel like I could get so much better growth using some RB & Red.

This was my old fuge light.

20121223-IMG_0227.jpg

Had 28x 660nm and 6x 450nm, all LEDgroupbuy 'exotics' at 700mA. About 15.7 watts of deep red and about 4.2 watts of royal blue (optical/output watts). Was pretty wicked, about 300 PAR at the bottom of the fuge (which was like 24x12x14 or so, a section of a 40B). If I did it again, it would probably use the combo I made for kat because I'd want it to be a display fuge, but if it was only for growing macro as fast as possible, I'd probably still use just deep red and royal blue, maybe with some violet and lime in the mix for accessory pigments. You want as much intensity as possible for a fuge.

NirvanaandTool

Dem reds. Bet that grew macro like crazy.

Yea I want more of a display fuge cause I enjoy looking at the macro filled space. Might even put a mantis shrimp in there like in my old cube cause I'm a sucker for keeping something in my fuge. That's why the new design really appeals to me. Grow macro, look good and not be a crappy cheap 5000k 10w led.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the useful information in this thread. I have recently added limes to my array because of this thread and can say that I am really liking the appearance they provide.

Just wanting to know if anyone has anything more to add on the "PC ambers"? Specifically when they are used with limes to minimize the need for the 4k whites. Jedi - I do recall reading that you were playing around with a "no-whites" array, any news on that?

Nothing really yet, I honestly haven't been playing around much with it. I will say, though, the above array with the whites disconnected still looks pretty good.

PC amber is more similar to a neutral white of a lower CRI, typically higher CRI chips peak around 620nm.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this.

So my thinking has come full circle to now believe that Lime LED's might be what actually fixes most of the issues with LED fixtures, perceived brightness. I'm looking at the spectrum of Halide and my Razor and noticing that if I bump my white channel to reach the same green level of the halide bulb I am bring a bunch of other frequencies that are absent or at a much lower level in the Halide bulb.

Since our eyes are most sensitive to green I am thinking most of us turn our white channel up way too high in order for the tank to look "right" to our eyes. We might set PAR correctly, but the light balance is all wrong so the corals look like crap. Turn down the whites and the coral colors recover and might even look as good, but the tank appears dark. It seems to me just a few lime LED's could solve this issue by greatly increasing the perceived brightness of the tank without bringing up everything around it.

20K Halide

Figure2.jpg

Maxspect Razor

figure_4_maxspect_razor_spectrum.jpg

See all the other crap I'm bringing along with the 550? There should be a sharp peak at 550, not a smooth curve IMO.

What do you think Ben?

Archived