SaltCritters.com

Harlequin feeding question

blogpotato

blogpotato

Just a quick question. I'm feeding my harlequin shrimp starfish legs as of the moment. How long should i let the leg stay in the tank? Should I wait until the shrimp finish? I'm asking this because the leg might rot during the process and could pollute the tank.

Thank you for any replies. :D

I don't have one so take this with a serious grain of salt, but when I was thinking about purchasing one at my LFS, they said to hack off a leg and throw it in and the shrimp would finish it off quickly enough that I wouldn't have to worry about pulling it out. Just passing on what they told me, don't really know how helpful that'll be.

I guess I'd jsut watch and wait. If it starts to look funky I'd pull it (no sense in risking your whole tank). And if the shrimp doesn't eat it fast enough maybe you could chop off just a piece of a leg (it seems so gruesome, doesn't it lol) next time instead of the whole thing??

blogpotato

Thank you for the input. Indeed what i did was chop off a piece of leg and fed it to the harlequins. That was my problem, i can't seem to determine whether the chopped-off leg looks bad or not because when the shrimp was feasting on it he was massacring it. It hasn't been a day since i dropped the leg so i think it's still okay. Nevertheless, ill take it out after a day more just to be sure not to pollute the tank. :D

Archived