Cultivated Reef

Java's 5 Gallon AIO

JavaJacketOC

JavaJacketOC

Have you ever had one of those weeks where when you get to Friday you just want to go out after work and get hammered?

Yeah that was this week for me...

VqAqd0K.jpg?1

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JavaJacketOC

I have had no luck finding a fish I just couldn't live without and since I'm not in a rush I need your help to decide! Please use the poll to vote!

P.S. If there is something just amazing that I don't have listed please leave a comment :)

JavaJacketOC

Picked up a few new additions earlier this week, just waiting for everyone to settle in before snapping pictures.

Also...very tempted, I can't stop looking at it:

0604141-067.jpg

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata)

JavaJacketOC

Ok so I've had a couple additions this week and all the sudden by iPhone pics aren't coming out all blue, not sure what I did but decided to take advantage of the situation :naughtydance:

• Maxi-Mini Carpet Anemone
  • 3 Ricordea Yuma (Green/Yellow, Orange, Blue/Grey)

Also decided to add a small portion of Mineral Mud to to the fuge area, good thing I took these pics before...it dirtied up the water a little bit.

Yuma Garden

uhUNqQ5.jpg?1

Side Tank Shot (Maxi-Mini is tucked away under the red zoas in the middle...hoping it'll move out into the open)

PM0sh7B.jpg?1

JavaJacketOC

love the yuma garden

Thank you! I love Yumas....I don't know what it is about the but they've always captivated me.

JavaJacketOC

I finally got a decent picture of the Maxi-Mini....it's still mostly in the shadows but it seems like it's slowing moving into the light each day.

5crSa97.jpg?1

JavaJacketOC

Thanks to those who voted on the fish poll. I decided I wanted to go with something omnivorous so I'm not stuck feeding meaty foods in a small tank.

I hit a LFS that I came across a couple weeks ago which had a Court Jester and a couple Hector's goby's. I originally went in wanting the Court Jester but it looked a little skinny....the Hector's on the other hand looked really good so that's the one I opt'd for.

He has been named Hex Hectori

Ed1WZy5.jpg?1

I'll try and get better pictures over the next couple days but he's already managed to find somewhere in this 5 gallon tank to hide...He pops out to snoop around every now and then but I'm sure he'll be more active as he settles in

• 2 weeks later...
JavaJacketOC

It's been a while since I've posted (that just made me feel like confession or some form of support group :)) and although I haven't added much I've moved a few things around and am now relatively happy with the layout of the tank.

First the update Side/FTS:

• Pinkish Brown palys are acclimating in lower right of pic
  • Superman Shroom? acclimating
  • Mounted the Hammer Coral to the arch (I'm probably going to have to move the big Yuma since it's almost completely shaded)

N8KV0tB.jpg?1

Top down

fv6w6Lh.jpg?1

So I went to the LFS about a week and a half ago and noticed there was a random shroom rolling around in a tank. I asked the employee if it was decent looking since I assumed he would probably sell it to me cheap because it was unmounted. He said it was "decent" looking and that it was $5.00 but followed with "I have a better looking one on a small piece of rock that you'll like for $5.00 too". By the time he found it and I made it over to the tank he was at he'd messed with it and it closed up a bit so I couldn't really tell what ti looked like but figured what he hell it's only $5.00. Superman Shroom?

1jAgrwt.jpg?1

And last but not least, Hex. He's been more bold over the past week or so but generally only ventures out in the mornings and through mid day. Sadly this means I don't see him much except for the weekends or if I decide to work from home. He's managed to carve out a whole array of hiding spaces while he's not out grazing. He did come out one evening when I was feeding the coral but didn't seem interested in any mysis but he does like to graze the LR and sift the sand. I think I've had him for a little over a week now and haven't directly fed him once...but it looks like he's getting his fill :D

These 2 shots are at the very front of the tank under the large rock

XqtwiAi.jpg?1

hUHvOTO.jpg?1

This was a top down shot of a hole that leads from the middle to the back of the large rock

TOS1n6C.jpg?1

• 3 weeks later...
JavaJacketOC

I picked up a porcelain crab a few days ago, hoping it would host the maxi-mini. I tried to drop it close to the maxi-mini but he did the crab swim in the opposite direction and nestled in some rocks...haven't seen him since :(

My only pic

bt7SyKz.jpg?1

Today I saw this guy and decided to pick him up

MwaUPdF.jpg?1

JavaJacketOC

I believe thats a "she".... (The tail hump looks large.)

No broken band though, so I assume it's a boy.

TFcsdlj.jpg?1

JavaJacketOC

Definitely a dude, judging by the last pic you posted.

Ive never heard the band thing before.

I found the info about the band in a thread here so assuming that's the easiest way to sex them. Sadly he was the only one left...now I'm on a mission to find him a couple ladies.

No broken band though, so I assume it's a boy.

TFcsdlj.jpg?1

Had to come check out your sour apple monti :wub:. Are the polyps green?

Oh...and fellow socal'ian checking in :).

JavaJacketOC

Had to come check out your sour apple monti :wub:. Are the polyps green?

Oh...and fellow socal'ian checking in :).

Oh hai! Yes the polyps are green, you can't really see them even when they're extended...they just look like texture. The dark spots on in that picture are the shadows being cast from the polyps. It it literally is the color of a green apple. :D

Oh hai! Yes the polyps are green, you can't really see them even when they're extended...they just look like texture. The dark spots on in that picture are the shadows being cast from the polyps. It it literally is the color of a green apple. :D

Green's my favorite color :)
JavaJacketOC

Couple additions from the Saturday LFS Circuit

One LFS got some turbo snails in and I asked one of the employees if they got any small ones...sadly he said no. Then I saw this one hiding...score! it's a little smaller than a marble.

j2MP9ip.jpg?1

Second pick up was a Monti ...hoping it colors up a little bit, a few red things things I've put under this light seem to intensify a little. It's not MetroKat's Monti but it'll do for now. Probably going to place it on the upper right side of the tank in front of the Hydor.

0MdBIUI.jpg?1

New FTS

UrvBiDw.jpg?1

Side Shot

47pALFm.jpg?1

Top Down

oQN7Zhq.jpg?1

JavaJacketOC

Looks like a montipora digitata. Nice.

You're probably right, the LFS sold it to me as a setosa but I can't say I'm familiar enough with them to be able to tell the difference. Looking at pictures though it does look like a digitata

JavaJacketOC

Setosa looks smooth with more spacing between polyps.

I'll keep looking, although I don't think I have any more real estate :(

Archived