Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dry rock suggestions?

Steve973

I can appreciate the benefits of live uncured rock and also the benefits of dry rock. I'm about to start up a tank, and I've decided to go with dry rock. I'm trying to decide between Bulk Reef Supply's "Reef Saver" rock and Reefcleaners' Florida Reef Rock. Any opinions about which is better and why? Am I missing any other vendors that I should consider? For this setup, I prefer dry rock that is as clean as possible.

i used the reef cleaners and id say its very clean, and you get some really good size chunks i was able to build a whole rock wall and still have rock left over for the 20L im cycling right now, plus you can beat their price and free shipping

I purchased my dry rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater.

- I asked for smaller pieces for my sized tank and they accomodated that perfectly.

- Extremely stackable; like you can stack in literally a minute or two and have a beautiful design just by grabbing random pieces and plopping them on top of each other

- packaged SO well that there wasn't ANY rubble in the box upon unpacking (they pack it just like LR, inside styrofoam and plastic with filler paper to cushion)

Dislikes:

- it seems to be pretty heavy with phosphates; I'm still dealing with a little nuisance algea from that every time I slip just for a second on weekly water changes (rock has been in for 6 months now but I didn't 'cook')

- it's light weight but I don't know as though I'd actually say "porous"; I would have rather maybe had it a little more 'holey', it's pretty solid (though I will say that the shaping of each rock makes up for that with all it's nooks and such - still has a very large amount of surface area for bacteria)

I'll see if I can find the pics of my unpacking and the rocks I got for you to take a look at. I bought the 25 lb. package. brb...

Of the two in the OP, the BRS looks to be a little holier then the reef saver rock.

I have Key Largo dry type rock, looks similar to the BRS rock. It is nice. Very consistant in colour and texture.

I agree with the sentiments of it being nice and easy to scape with.

I used Reef Cleaners in my Nuvo8. It was well packed, yes there was a few chunks of rubble, but nothing major. (I just saved those for gluing frags onto anyways!) It is clean, porous, and stacks easily. Plus you can let John know the dimensions of the tank you are setting up so he gives you appropriately sized pieces. Here is my tank when it was still really new so you can see the rock structure:

tank020314_zps8b8c7d94.jpg

I would choose the BRS reef saver everytime. I have BRS reef saver and reefrocks.net in my tank. I bought the reefrocks cause i couldnt find all my extra BRS reef saver I had in another bucket. so only had like 8lb of BRS lost it in move. I bought the reefsaver rock cause BRS shipping seem to have just gone up alot. I wish i woulda paid the shipping the reefrocks is nice dont get me wrong but the reef saver rock i feel looks alot better and interlocks alot nicer due to being alot more holes in it and the overall shape. the reefsaver is very very pourus but it isnt as well shaped it is more rounded off and doesnt interlock as nice as the reefsaver making it look like 1 large natural reef.

Archived