Cultivated Reef

When your wife wants her own tank....Nanobox Synergy build...New Pics

Alex B

Sooo clean!!!Following!!
Looks great! Following you on R2R too :)

Thanks! Also following along your 20 long.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the way to pick up a canister. My local petsmart price matches drfoster smith so I'll just grab it there. Should I go with a eheim 2213 or a fluval 206? I've always had good results with eheims in my planted tanks. They don't make the 2211 anymore looks like.

BattleAthletics

Thanks guys!

Been working on the rock work. My wife has a idea. It's not exactly what I would do, but I think I can pull it off. She wants to leave the tank bare bottom which I like! It looks super cool with that black glass underneath. She wants a island of acans, and then a bonsai structure. She likes movement in the tank so she wants the top of the bonsai to be some cool torches or gsp. Not a fan of the gsp idea, but I get what she wants. Something that actually looks like the top of a bonsai. Then on the rest of the branches and rockwork she wants chalices, cyphastrea, ect stuff that encrust with crazy color.

Anyone else have any cool ideas?

I know I'm late to the party but look at my inspiration list, I really want to replicate pisces4u's old tank.

I know I'm late to the party but look at my inspiration list, I really want to replicate pisces4u's old tank.

Which tank is that? I remember seeing a sps heavy tank from him.

Lol...my wife is gonna freak out when she sees that. It's basically what she told me she wanted. Torches up top to look like a bonsai, bare bottom, ect. Without even knowing about that tank she has been heading in that direction. Thank you for that. This is going to make her day. It's funny the rockwork is even similar and on the same side of the tank!

BattleAthletics

Lol...my wife is gonna freak out when she sees that. It's basically what she told me she wanted. Torches up top to look like a bonsai, bare bottom, ect. Without even knowing about that tank she has been heading in that direction. Thank you for that. This is going to make her day. It's funny the rockwork is even similar and on the same side of the tank!

I hope I didn't ruin anything! Lol

No...lol..she will be happy. My version will eventually be different. We were worried about the torches up top looking funny. This seals the deal for me. It looks great. I may lean toward less color though. Keep the top as one big torch of the same color. Prob a Aussie gold. There is going to be a lot of color with other lps so I don't want to go over board with color.

Hopefully my version can look just as good! :)

BattleAthletics

No...lol..she will be happy. My version will eventually be different. We were worried about the torches up top looking funny. This seals the deal for me. It looks great. I may lean toward less color though. Keep the top as one big torch of the same color. Prob a Aussie gold. There is going to be a lot of color with other lps so I don't want to go over board with color. Hopefully my version can look just as good! :)

Oh most definitely, that tank was a ten gallon, imagine yours, nothing but win!

Your wife is going to look at you like never before! Lolol

Hey hey!!! :)

Thank you Kat!

Just got everything installed. Looks fugly with the fluval intake and outflow, but it's working. I definitely think it will be enough flow for the tank. Pretty stoked! Now I just need a hydor heater for canisters and I'm all set! Water went from cloudy to clear in 10 minutes lol. Lovin it

Lily pipes ordered! Should be here next week. In the meantime here's a couple pics with the bulky fluval intake and outake pipes. Also tank is cycled and ready to rock and roll! I cheated and built the rock structure with rock from my sump ;)

Insta cycle! Also added a whole bunch of rock rubble to my canister.

14503878446_123902c592_b.jpg

Untitled by touchofklasse, on Flickr

14525952132_3712c27763_b.jpg

14503880166_81f8689a02_b.jpg

Wanted to post a lil update. It's a long one....you have been warned

So this light has the new lime array from Dave. The new 13up board. He had just released the news about it when I decided to do this tank. Well, when I jumped on the tank I asked if I could try those limes...Dave delivered! I

In this hobby there is always the latest and greatest. You know how it goes ;) Every once in a while though something really cool that works, and deserves praise comes out! The color this light puts out is amazing. I'm not saying this will make U the über reefer, but if your like me, it will make your day. That extra color in the skirt of a zoa, or brightness in the tip of a acro you didn't see before. That's what makes my day!

I can't add anything till the 1st for the Nano in 90 contest, but I wanted too see what some corals would look like. I brought over a couple frags from my big tank, and wow. I really can't wait to get this little tank stocked!

Only bad part is, now I need to go spend money on my hybrid light and add limes to that. ;)

Hey Alex, did you get a chance to use the canister filter yet? I have the worst time getting it to open for cleaning. pretty much have to break a couple of nails in the process. I must be doing something wrong.

Hey Alex, did you get a chance to use the canister filter yet? I have the worst time getting it to open for cleaning. pretty much have to break a couple of nails in the process. I must be doing something wrong.

Which one do u have?? My fluval has this quick release system. That's actually why I bought it. I also like how it had the media racks setup. My eheim was a lot harder to open.

So close to stocking!!!!

Yes sir. I'm so glad I had rock already cycled for this tank. It's like opening a box and POOF....

Insta reef!...hmmm...maybe I should look into that. God knows not a single reefer has any patience. I have a lot of stuff ready to go in this tank.

Hey everyone....sand or bare bottom???) gotta figure this out tonight. That way I can pick up sand tom if I need it.

Which one do u have?? My fluval has this quick release system. That's actually why I bought it. I also like how it had the media racks setup. My eheim was a lot harder to open.

Fluval 305.

Fluval 305.

Does your have the quick release valve up top connected to the hoses?

In my lil 106 I can close the valve and remove the hoses without loosing any water. Then I can pull the canister and pop the lid off. Once the hoses pop off and pressure is relieved it opens up pretty easy. Atleast this one does.

Does your have the quick release valve up top connected to the hoses? In my lil 106 I can close the valve and remove the hoses without loosing any water. Then I can pull the canister and pop the lid off. Once the hoses pop off and pressure is relieved it opens up pretty easy. Atleast this one does.

Yes I have the quick release valve. The hoses are currently off of it, but the darn thing is stuck like glue. As it always is.

Next you time you open it, put a lil vegetable on the o-ring that seals the top. Sounds like your having a hard time because the top gets stuck to the body. The oil will not touch the water so have no fear. It's just to keep the o-ring lubed up. (Enter dirty jokes)

Looking great! I almost got the fluval for my tank but went with the new cobalt aquatics canister, so far I like it a lot, but I hope the fluval works well for you.

And I vote sand ;)

Archived