Pod Your Reef

When your wife wants her own tank....Nanobox Synergy build...New Pics

Alex B

So some may have seen my other build. My cad tank is a zeovit tank, and basically all sps. I'm a big sps guy.

Now here comes the problem. My wife isn't. She loves the pop and glow of lps. She shares the passion for the hobby, and really wants her own tank. Figured I'd keep her happy, or those little gifts of a frag here and there might go away. On to the build...

I'm very anal about the look of a tank. No wires, no bulky equipment in sight, ect. Here's the plan.

Equipment

12x12x9 acrylic Nanobox Synergy tank. Blue rimmed.

Nanobox mini. Light is going to be light grey and blue to match the tank.

Fluval 106 canister with do aqua lily pipes.

Livestock

Tank is going to be all lps. Scolys, euphilia, chalices mostly. Lots of pop!

Maybe a clown goby, if not it will be fishless

Have about 20 pounds of rock left from my other build. Going to make a nice bonsai scape

Bare bottom, or maybe black sand. Not sure yet

Plan to keep the tank simple, and as maintenance free as possible.

Pics to come soon, what's a thread without them!

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think about the x aqua? Think I can get enough flow trough it?

Would look pimp without a pump in the tank. Think it will be enough flow?

I'm sure you can get enough flow through it for that small of a tank. I'm running a MJ900 for my return and no powerhead on my nuvo and my LPS seem to love the flow. Remember, you don't need a ton of flow for lps. Honestly, the MP10 would probably be way overkill, anyways.

The thing I would be slightly concerned with is making the flow random. My torch, for example, loves the random flow it gets from having the spinstream. Maybe you can find a way to use a spinstread with the x-aqua return. Just some food for thought.

Other than that, this is gonna be an awesome LPS, wife-approved tank. Can't wait to see more.

Never-mind my last post. I just read up more on the X-Aqua and it looks like it has a pulsing return. In that case, this thing is awesome....other than the cost.

Also, I happened to find a post on another forum of someone who made their own DIY x-Aqua. Came out pretty nice. Looks like he had some issue with not having enough flow, but you could probably fix that by using a larger diameter bulkhead/plumbing.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2148823

What do you think about the x aqua? Think I can get enough flow trough it? Would look pimp without a pump in the tank. Think it will be enough flow?

Yeah, you should probably stick with x aqua just for the aesthetic appearance of the exterior sides.

Yeah, you should probably stick with x aqua just for the aesthetic appearance of the exterior sides.

I have a friend that works with acrylic and plexiglass. I just talked to him. He said we could make something similar to the x aqua...but clear!

I think it would look super legit. Only worry is algae. Gotta think it trough.

Yeah....for sure algae will grow in it, no doubt....I had eheim canister filters with clear lily pipes. Shiet got dirty in a week, it gets worse too. Not worth it imo, should get black or ......white? That might make it more clean looking if your room wall is white. But the inflow intakes would build up algae...

I have a friend that works with acrylic and plexiglass. I just talked to him. He said we could make something similar to the x aqua...but clear! I think it would look super legit. Only worry is algae. Gotta think it trough.

Hmmm....I'm assuming you are going to leave the back panel clear?

Yeah....for sure algae will grow in it, no doubt....I had eheim canister filters with clear lily pipes. Shiet got dirty in a week, it gets worse too. Not worth it imo, should get black or ......white? That might make it more clean looking if your room wall is white. But the inflow intakes would build up algae...

Yea i figured as much. My lily pipes on my planted tanks were a pain. White would prob look nice! I think I will just grab a true x aqua and call it a day. I will hide most of it wih my rockwork. Should look legit!

Hmmm....I'm assuming you are going to leave the back panel clear?

I am. I love clear backs. I ripped the vinyl off the cad. Wish I didn't have a a center overflow but it doesn't bother me much. I think I'm going to do a custom background on the cad. Got the idea from one my fav sps builds. Look up " a reef in the sky"

Tank is ridonkulous!

Yeah you should paint the back panel black. For that cleaner look hiding the wires and everything.

Shouldn't have any wires. Everything will be in the sump.

Lps does look good with a black background though I'll admit. Makes it pop even more.

Sps in my opinion looks awesome with a clear back if the wall behind it is white. Makes it look more lit, and bright. Guess I'll cross all that when I get there. For sure though I'm going with the x aqua. I think it's the cleanest look for a little tank like this.

Yeah black background with black sand....my gawd, that's my build lol.

The nanobox wire will be shown through the back no?

Nice, I see. When's the synergy tank coming? What color you getting/

I should have everything by next week. The tank is blue to match the light.

Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome little tank! I'll be following :)

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

Teaser...better pics after I get it all setup today. So this is my wife's tank. I can't decide anything with the coral, can't tell her what fish to get, nothing. I get the pleasure of setting it up though, and paying for everything. I think I got shafted in this deal. Ohhh well.

Also I cannot say it enough times. Anyone thinking of going nanobox, Dave is the man! I was not going to set this tank up until I finished everything with my other build. I've been making some changes to the other tank, with one of them being to get a bluefish. Well I told Dave i would grab a bluefish in a couple weeks and use my storm for the little light. I was just going to have to wait to get this one setup. I had been buying tons of frags, apex, new pumps, all types of stuff for the other tank. Needed a couple weeks to recover the wallet :)

Well I open the box and....what do you know. Dave sent me a storm to use until I figure out the bluefish stuff. You don't get that kind of service with the big guys ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14288662730/'>14288662730_c1fe487424_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14288662730/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14474085174/'>14474085174_c98d4a30f1_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14474085174/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

Got some work done today. If I'm not tired after lunch I'm going to mess with some dry rock. It's going to be tuff to do anything amazing in a small footprint like this, but maybe I can work some magic. Have to decide now if I want to sump it, or lily pipes. Almost feel bad drilling holes in it. The tank is so pretty.

Light out of the box. New array with the limes ;)

14295835459_1c6be26da9_b.jpg

DSC_0144 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

14502594303_32d08bd68d_b.jpg

DSC_0145 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

70 inches of hi def and a reef tank on one wall. Winning....

14482460735_ca8273be55_b.jpg

DSC_0146 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

14459366626_404ab2a195_b.jpg

DSC_0166 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

14482462725_2fa87b8851_b.jpg

DSC_0169 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

14481248394_95f55ea42e_b.jpg

DSC_0158 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

14459367936_3610a9f155_b.jpg

DSC_0157 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

14481248964_874f6db706_b.jpg

DSC_0154 by touchofklasse, on Flickr

Woo! I want my own tank too, but mainly so I can tell my husband he doesn't get to pick and choose what I buy for it. We've had trouble compromising with our 40 gallon lately lol.

Archived