SaltCritters.com

New 40 breeder build

Wilkinsontnt

Wilkinsontnt

Hi I have just finished a new 40 breeder build. This build has been about 4 months in the works doing a little bit here and there. I have custom built my stand and a load of research picking up pieces here and there. I am currently running a 10g nano which has been doing very well.

So to my questions. I have been running my 40 breeder for 3 weeks now I used a piece of shrimp to start the cycle and live rock from a friend that I am not sure how well it was taken care of but it was cured. Light cycle has been 8 hours on the rest with moon lights. I have been watching my parameters very close and tonight did a full run through and the only thing that was high was my phosphates @ .5ppm. My diatom bloom is in full swing also.

By no means am I going to rush putting any live stock into the new system and am still going to wait another week before doing my large water change to rid the system of anything negative. I am wondering though after I do my big water change and retest and it's all ok would it be safe to start adding my clean up crew? And when should I start running my protien skimmer to get all aspects of the tank running? I will have my LFS test water against my tests to be 100%

Ca. 404

Dkh 196

Ph 8.4

Phos .5

Amonia. 0

Nitrates 0

Nitrites 0

Light cycle 8 hours. 2nd hand non dimmable Chinese led to get started with

Coralife 65 skimmer/

Will add pics of setup after putting kids in bed.

Any great advice welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you got a pretty good start to it.

You'll hear different opinions about running the skimmer before adding livestock.

My personal opinion, you might as well run it. Especially given that you're not aware of the care of the live rock before you got it and you have a little phosphate.

What size sump are you using? You might want to consider adding a phosban 150 or a similar media reactor to the system once it's cycled to effectively remove phosphates from the water.

As far as the clean up crew goes, I'd wait and add it as you add different things. That way you can keep the size of your clean up crew appropriate to the bio load in the tank.

Archived