ReefCleaners.org

id this mantis?

Bropez

I can't really tell from the video. What color are its mural spots?

This is where the mural spot is:

meral.jpg

I can't really tell from the video. What color are its mural spots?

This is where the mural spot is:

meral.jpg

I'll check in the morning. I think the claws are solid blue though, maybe a lighter blue/white mural spot

Neogonadactylus curacaoensis

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_curacaoensis

or

Neogonadactylus wennerae

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_wennerae

or

Neogonadactylus bredini

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_bredini

These guys have white mural spots, the pages list other distinguishing characteristics. Keep in mind the body color of a mantis can vary greatly in color from green to brown to red, ect.

rock came from florida so I am thinking its def one of the first 2. Hopefully wennerae but pretty sure its curacaoensis. Looks exactly like the picture

FlowerMama

Please get new feeding forceps, those are rusted and not healthy for the tank. But he appears to be a colorful shrimp so you're lucky. I'd hate to see anything die in your tank due to the rust.

My forceps are the same way. There must be a way to get that rust cleaned up without harsh chemicals. Any ideas and how much rusty forceps can affect livestock ?

Please get new feeding forceps, those are rusted and not healthy for the tank. But he appears to be a colorful shrimp so you're lucky. I'd hate to see anything die in your tank due to the rust.

Isnt rust ferric oxide? aka GFO?

I did plan on buying knew ones anyway though

FlowerMama

hm, I've heard people say always rinse them off with fresh water and dry because the salt is so corrosive so I always figured it was bad but now I don't know. I was told to throw away my Little Fishies nano-mag after it rusted bad. So, now I'm confused.

hm, I've heard people say always rinse them off with fresh water and dry because the salt is so corrosive so I always figured it was bad but now I don't know. I was told to throw away my Little Fishies nano-mag after it rusted bad. So, now I'm confused.

I mean it could be. I dont know lol. Neogonadactylus curacaoensis are supposedly not so hardy so I better be careful just in case

Isnt rust ferric oxide? aka GFO?

I did plan on buying knew ones anyway though

If in fact they worked as good as chemi-pure, I would just leave them in the tank. Lol but I don't think it is that simple. But I wonder what ill effect it might have by short exposure in tank water......... I'll try to research some ways (no chemicals) to clean that rust and post it here if it works.

Might be worth trying:

1. Salt + Lime: Sprinkle a little bit of salt on the rust, then squeeze the lime over the salt until it is soaking. Let the mixture sit for 2-3 hours and then remove the rust with the lime rind. This can also be done with a lemon.

2. White Vinegar + Aluminum Foil: One smart reader dipped aluminum foil in white vinegar and scrubbed away the rust.

3. Baking Soda + Water: Put baking soda directly onto the rust, and then with a toothbrush apply water and scrub. This reader suggests going with the grain depending on what you are cleaning.

4. Vinegar Soak: This smart reader places smaller rusty items in an overnight vinegar soak, like rusty tools, and hasn't needed to scrub any of them!

5. Potato + Dish Soap: Emily Ho recommends cutting a potato in half, and then dipping the cut end in dish soap or baking soda. Then apply the soaked end to the rusted area and rub. To keep going, just cut the potato's top layer and re-apply the soap.

Archived