inTank Media Baskets

Red algae good or bad

darkdancer333

It feeds off gaseous exchanges of anaerobic areas, at least do your homework before slating me, flow does help so does skimming, but if you read it, it is time that can be the key thing here. I argued <0.03 because someone argued high phosphates, again please read, and no, phosphates isnt a key "lunch" !

I had a massive growth of cyano in my upflow ATS, which had a limewood airstone and air pump oxygenating it. It is NOT an obligate anaerobe.I have no idea what slating someone means. One can have Zero detectable phosphates and still grow unwanted algae or cyano in the tank.All life on this planet needs phosphorus, indeed it is lunch. It is used in almost all cells as ATP(ADP&AMP), and all cell membranes are made of phospholipids(bacteria have cell walls, of course). Phosphates are just the most readily available form of it.

I can! My phosphates never test high when I let the algae go...this was especially true when I had a fuge with macroalgae. Let me explain it this way... If a case of beer were phosphates, and I was green hair algae, and my refrigerator was the aquarium water, your test would find no traces in the "aquarium water", of any "phosphates", because "I" would be consuming it all before you got there.

Exactly!

Fair enough, just seems odd to me that mine grows on the sand bed and no-where else, as I say though, it tends to be a phase of a cycle, and it generally passes with little headache, unless you have a large problem :)

Archived