Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's coral pony corral!

vlangel

Well I picked up the tank and stand along with a few other things. I got a 4 bulb T5 fixture similar to the one I have on the coral tank. I will be painting the back of the pony tank black like the coral tank. I also need to finish making the box for the multilevel look and move some power strips on the coral tank. In fact the whole coral tank needs to be moved to the right about 2". Uhggg!!! Can't say I relish that but we'll "get her done".

post-82793-0-14647700-1400065413_thumb.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we "got her done" and I think it went well, (meaning the tank is moved over to the right 2", put back together and I don't think anything leaks) haha. The seahorse tank now fits nicely in the space that is left for it where my wonderful hubby laid new old laminate. The laminate is old since we bought it 10 years ago to go under the 1st tank, but it is now newly laid under the seahorse tank. Sometimes it pays to not throw the leftovers away! Also all the power strips have been relocated to where they need to be and the light fixture has the legs assembled and is ready to use. Its slow but its progress.

Dave, my husband and I were talking and he was trying to understand how I am hooking the 2 tanks together using the same sump. I explained that my returns splits iinto 2 runs just above the pump and check valve. One run will remain in the LPS tank the other run will be moved onto the seahorse tank. Both overflows will run into the sump so the same amount of water should run through the sump. I will make up the loss of flow in each tank with power heads. Dave being an engineer asked what keeps the higher seahorse tank from syphoning into the other tank when the power was out. I replied the check valve but after much discussion I realized he was right! I will need to drill a breather hole in my locline to break a syphon on the return of the taller seahorse tank. Good save, Dave!!!

Yesterday I painted the back of the seahorse tank black. I debated using my artistic backround and considered painting like a sunset sky for the backround but decided since it is next to the coral tank they should match. Also I built the plexiglass box for the multilevel and decorated it with rubble rock. I bought a small rio power head to put in the box that I will drill a hole so just the output will stick out. Today I leak tested the tank, added salt and nitrifying bacteria, along with sand and rock. Here's where we are at now. Let the cycle begin!

post-82793-0-24349200-1400260830_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-61906900-1400260846_thumb.jpg

I did a dumb thing yesterday, I dropped my tall rock structure I built and broke it. Bummer! So out comes the silicon sealant again and I will have to recreate it. It won't be as tall though.

The pony corral is clearing up and now I could check out my aquascape and decide if my vision worked. I was happy with it. I also did an ammonia test and it is .25ppm. I had hoped it would be more but its only been 3-4 days. I decided to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" by putting 3-4 mysis in the tank and watch how it stayed suspended in the water column but also to see what my ammonia does to better determine where the cycle is at. The flow was really working well and will be even better when I get the 2nd rio pump in the multilevel box. It should be moderate near the bottom of the tank. Also the overflow box and return will add gentle flow as well near the top of the tank. The middle of the tank where the hitching posts will mostly be should be very comfortable for the ponies.

post-82793-0-59155600-1400452056_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-87102500-1400452057_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-91664700-1400452058_thumb.jpg

Ordered an Eshopps nano overflow box for the tank tonight from Amazon. With free shipping under $50. It should be here by the 28th. Tomorrow I will do another ammonia test and see where we are at in the cycle.

I also ordered a HOB prism pro skimmer and a power strip timer for the lights. When I bought the Coral life 4 bulb T5 fixture I thought it had a built in timer like the Aquatic Life fixture. So lots of goodies coming. I tested the ammonia and its at 2.0ppm. I will be going out of town this weekend and am hoping the cycle will be winding down when I get back.

Tested the ammonia before heading out of town. Still some where between 1-2ppm. Here's hoping when I return Monday evening that the cycle has progressed!

Well I'm back in town and tested my ammonia. It was still pretty high, 1- .50ppm I think. I've always cycled with mostly LR and this is my first cycle with dead formerly LR. Its a much longer process, even with the addition of nitrifying bacteria. That's OK, I am not in a hurry. My Eshopps overflow box went to Utah where it was supposedly delivered! I live in Pennsylvania so hopefully Amazon gets that straightened out.LOL. Since the tank is not cycled I don't need it yet anyhow.. My skimmer and light timer did arrive and are ready for action.

This morning my ammonia was down to .50-.25ppm. I don't have a test kit for nitrites so I took a water sample to the lfs since I needed to pick up the 2nd Rio 90 pump anyway. The poor girl who worked there was so sympathetic when she told me the nitrites were 2.0 ppm, not knowing that I was hoping they were high! All in the name of progress. I noticed some diatoms at the bottom of the tank too, so more progress. I installed the Rio and both pumps very effectively keep particles suspended off the bottom which is great!

Finally the ammonia is 0 and yesterday when I had the lfs check the nitrites they were around .5 so we are definitely almost at the end of the cycle, which is awesome since my Eshopps nano overflow box finally arrived. I am chomping at the bit to install it and connect the 2 tanks. Sharing the sump should give the new seahorse tank instant stability. I need to get a cuc in there as the diatoms are really looking bad. I've always cycled with LR and so never had a big diatom bloom before but I am thinking that connecting the tanks will help with that as well.

Well, after all this time I think we are cycled, yoohoo! I did a 10g WC to help drop the nitrates which it did so I plan to connect the 2 tanks to the same sump and have 1 marine system. The seahorse tank should gain instant stability from the established coral system. I will put a clean up crew in there as soon as the tanks are connected to begin working on the diatoms. It'll be fun to start adding corals!

The tanks are hooked together and are now 1 marine system. Everything is working like a charm. Both tank appear to have plenty of flow even though it is split between them, (nothing a power head can't fix anyhow). I moved all the macro algae into the seahorse tank and removed the ancient strip light that was on the sump. That thing scared me and was an electric hog. Just have a small efficient 1 bulb unit so I can see when I am working in there. I already moved some mushrooms, GSP and a leather into the seahorse tank. Yippee!

Ok, so now that the tanks are connected to the same sump I moved the macro algaes from the sump to the seahorse tank. Also I moved a few soft corals from the LPS tank into the seahorse tank. Everything is doing pretty well so I will soon be ordering pods and buying corals from KP Aquatics to really get the tank ready for my ponies!

post-82793-0-15977000-1402623359_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-94984200-1402623411_thumb.jpg

post-82793-0-52799100-1402623439_thumb.jpg

I finally checked my parameters and it was just as I thought. The PH is 8.2, the Alkalinity is around 8.6dkH, the CA is 420, the Mg is 1410, and the nitrates are 0-5. I am pleased with how this tank has cycled and settled in.

I stopped at the lfs and bought a green sinularia, or at least I think it is...it was only marked as a leather. I've had beautiful sinularia in the past and I think seahorses would like hitching on it. I also enquired about them taking care of my tanks when I am away??? It wouldn't be cheap but it sure would be peace of mind.

Trusted seahorse sitters are worth their weight in gold.

That's what I am thinking and I used to work there so I know they are good. Probably the owner would be the one who would watch over my tanks.

Hope everyone had a happy Father's day weekend! I know I did and I am the mom in the family, ha ha! We took the motorcycles out and had dinner at Primanti Brothers, which just happen to be next to a different lfs. We came home with a leather, a colt coral and 3 peppermint shrimp,(which I hope weren't traumatized from a ride in the motorcycle bags!).

I ordered 1000 amphipods and copepods,( buy 1 get 1) this morning to seed the tank and hopefully get them established in there before the seahorses come.

So my husband wanted to go to our lfs to check something out but he made me promise I wouldn't buy anything for the seahorse tank. I was good with that cause I've spent a lot of money lately on it. As we were walking past the 220g coral tank, he says to me, "what's this?". On the glass in front of a coral I debated on getting was written, " HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DAWN!". What a sweetheart, today we've been married 33 years!

I ordered 1000 amphipods and copepods,( buy 1 get 1) this morning to seed the tank and hopefully get them established in there before the seahorses come.

Where did you order from? I'd love to do this with my new tank, just to get some life in there quickly.

Grats on 33 years! We are on year 24. :)

Where did you order from? I'd love to do this with my new tank, just to get some life in there quickly.

Grats on 33 years! We are on year 24. :)

I ordered from reef2go. They were $49.99 for 1000 but then you get 1000 buy one get one. There was $14 some shipping too. I don't know if that is a good deal but they came in 2-3 days in good shape.

Ah so you have a silver anniversary coming? Dave and I rode the motorcycles to Key West for our silver, it was awesome! Funny but it doesn't seem that long ago either.

Archived