Top Shelf Aquatics

Aiptasia among zoas

Danjsim

Ok so I recently bought a small of colony of roughly 15 polyps, they all opened up for awhile and half of them now won't open at all. Did all the tests to see if something was out but all was good.

I noticed when I woke up a nice little aiptasia nestled inbetween the polyps that haven't been opening.

This is the first time I've had to deal with one and I've read how to get rid of them, but with it being so close to the polyps I'm not sure how to go about it?

Will it be too risky to inject it and have it not work and spread? Or try and get a flame to it and make a tiny sacrifice?

Thanks

brandon429

consider something online for a hundred bucks

Im about to pony up and buy one, not happy, but after trying everything known its come down to a majano wand. Ive used em before, its a good kill. the aips on zo rocks are easier to get at than aips that retract back into the rock base on a lr structure...ones inside zo colonies can be gotten to with this tool and killed. Ill be using it to beat red mushrooms, same basic attack. if fire, injection, juices, boiling kalk, anything worked as well thats what Id be using. in my opinion it doesnt, so here goes another hundred bucks into this one gallon vase. I think we're up to 30 times now :) so with a mere three thou pent up in a pico reef whats another benjamin lol. majano wand on amazon.

of course 100 is too much to spend on a single aip, so the testimonies that will come shortly about this or that, what injection worked, will mimic those you can find on any basic search engine so your real recourse is to just pick a method and run it, see if it works.

yup, just got AptasisX for the first time. Mine seemed to close around needle it comes with so not really hitting any zoas around it. If you have one, there is a good chance there are 50 eggs you haven't seen yet. peppermint shrimp eat aptasia as well (most of the time) it just takes them a while to get comfortable and go after them.

Aiptasia X has always worked for me on those zoa/paly clusters that inevitably have one or two nestled among them. Depending on how established the glass anemone is it may have a few daughter clones around its base - that's one of the reasons you see them appear to come back post treatment. Just follow the directions and make sure the gob covers the oral disk... repeat as needed and eventually you'll get them all.

Now for whole-tank infestations you probably would need something more livestock oriented that'll hunt them down - either peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranchs or the like.

Thanks, I think I might try the Aip-X and see how that goes.

It's only relatively small and only comes out in the dark!

Probably the best time to treat it will be when the zoas are closed up - either wait until dark, or LIGHTLY tap them to make the zoas close up, usually an aiptasia will open much faster afterwards and you can hit it with the syringe more easily.

I have used berghia nudibranches before. They do a great job as long as there is nothing that will eat them in your tank.

RollaJase

If it is a rock with zoas only, do a fresh water dip on it, that should kill the aiptasia. You can also annoy the zoas so they close up and dab a bit of superglue over the aiptasis, trapping them in the rock.

I use Aiptasia RX sometimes but find it takes 2-3 attempts to kill them off. It also bleaches the coraline on the rocks which I don't ike but that's just me.

Archived