Pod Your Reef

Overdue update- LVCaniac's 50gal Artisan II Build

LVCaniac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks incredible...great job

Thanks!!! That means a lot. I've been following your tank since I've been on nano reef. Your tank is amazing! One of my favorites on here!

Just picked up some new guys. A blue/green chromis (probably gonna add 2 more) and a feather duster along with a CUC from reef cleaners. Pics to follow soon

For whatever reason though the ceriths from reefcleaners never seem to survive the ship. Only a few make it....

Nanofreak79

My ceriths have never done good either. I lost all the last time and 4-6 the last. I did get credit, which I'll use since I only order from there anyway.

My ceriths have never done good either. I lost all the last time and 4-6 the last. I did get credit, which I'll use since I only order from there anyway.

weird. Everything else does fine. The nerites LOVE escaping haha

Nanofreak79

I'm still finding nerite small over the floor. I usually hear them hit the floor and go on a hunt. There really loving the whole I'm a tidal snail with no rules thing. How about you stay in my tank and eat some algae, not make baby eggs everywhere. Lol

I'm still finding nerite small over the floor. I usually hear them hit the floor and go on a hunt. There really loving the whole I'm a tidal snail with no rules thing. How about you stay in my tank and eat some algae, not make baby eggs everywhere. Lol

I used to have to follow their snail trail every morning. It was a daily routine.

Just got an order in from BRS. Got some GFO and Carbon along with a 4" sock to add to the sump. Also added some chaeto to the sump.

Hoping to notice cleaner water longer with reduced algae outbreaks. I had issues with that in my 20 gallon.

And here is the most recent FTS :lol:

B24F1402-AC36-4C94-BB25-1D07A1045002_zps

Muddy Waters

looks very nice , love the clean look of the tank and stand.

do they make a screen cover for this tank? wondering as you mention have some "jail" breaker action going on :P

looks very nice , love the clean look of the tank and stand.

do they make a screen cover for this tank? wondering as you mention have some "jail" breaker action going on :P

Thanks!!

It did come with two glass covers. I just prefer the cleaner look without them. So far the jail breakers have behaved and only hang out by the water line. :lol:

I am going to open the can of worms for a bunch of tang opinions. I have braced myself for the worst haha

Thoughts on getting a small Kole Tang:

50 Gallon Tank

Two occelaris clowns

1 chromis (eventually adding 2 more)

1 lawnmower blenny

From what I've read 70+ gallons is ideal

I didnt know if it would be ok to have a small one in a 50 for any period of time.

Please be gentle. :scarry:

Angel<3Nanos

Sweet!!! Idk about the kole tang tho. I say go for it. Or get an Anthias, Sonny at Aquatic Treasures has the hardiest of them all.

Muddy Waters

Thanks!!

It did come with two glass covers. I just prefer the cleaner look without them. So far the jail breakers have behaved and only hang out by the water line. :lol:

may seem silly but , im a silly noob lol

these two glass covers I will assume its one cover on front half of tank and one cover on back half of tank, not left and right side. so, if I assume correctly, does the back glass cover, actually cover the back "hidden" business part of the tank as well?

and how do the cover stay in place? some plastic clips go on lip(rim) of tank and have a channel that they covers slide into or what?

sorry for silly questions, and thanks for your time ;)

may seem silly but , im a silly noob lol

these two glass covers I will assume its one cover on front half of tank and one cover on back half of tank, not left and right side. so, if I assume correctly, does the back glass cover, actually cover the back "hidden" business part of the tank as well?

and how do the cover stay in place? some plastic clips go on lip(rim) of tank and have a channel that they covers slide into or what?

sorry for silly questions, and thanks for your time ;)

It depends on how you place the plastic clips on the rim of the tank. you can either have front and back pieces or left and right pieces. Fortunately it doesnt cover anything but the overflow as there is a sump underneath the tank in the stand

Sweet!!! Idk about the kole tang tho. I say go for it. Or get an Anthias, Sonny at Aquatic Treasures has the hardiest of them all.

did you ever hear what happened to desert reef co? I went to pick up some water one day and they were closed for an emergency of some kind. and never reopen. last i saw their store was gutted. :tears:

Angel<3Nanos

It depends on how you place the plastic clips on the rim of the tank. you can either have front and back pieces or left and right pieces. Fortunately it doesnt cover anything but the overflow as there is a sump underneath the tank in the stand

did you ever hear what happened to desert reef co? I went to pick up some water one day and they were closed for an emergency of some kind. and never reopen. last i saw their store was gutted. :tears:

Well I heard one day he just closed the shop. Ive heard from a friend who used to work for him, that he and his brother got into a fight and closed (because his brother owned half the business). And I also heard he's pursuing his career or something. Idk anymore lol

Well I heard one day he just closed the shop. Ive heard from a friend who used to work for him, that he and his brother got into a fight and closed (because his brother owned half the business). And I also heard he's pursuing his career or something. Idk anymore lol

damn that sucks!

Angel<3Nanos

damn that sucks!

Yeah man. He was a cool guy. Now I just go to sonny at AT. Do you have a Facebook man? We have a group called Vegas Reefs. Check it out. Join us. Its all local.

Yeah man. He was a cool guy. Now I just go to sonny at AT. Do you have a Facebook man? We have a group called Vegas Reefs. Check it out. Join us. Its all local.

right on will do!

• 4 weeks later...

Ive got a 1" frag of green pocillipora i accidentally broke off. it has great PE if anyone wants it. $15

post-78504-0-22748200-1406260082_thumb.jpg

What are your overall thoughts on this tank? I was considering the IM 40G fusion for $800. But for just a bit more I can get the CL 50G and have a sump.

Seems like there isn't much room to work with underneath the stand. Also the refugium section looks small from the pics on the CL site.

Also how good is the stock skimmer and pump? One more thing...is the overflow really loud?

What are your overall thoughts on this tank? I was considering the IM 40G fusion for $800. But for just a bit more I can get the CL 50G and have a sump.

Seems like there isn't much room to work with underneath the stand. Also the refugium section looks small from the pics on the CL site.

Also how good is the stock skimmer and pump? One more thing...is the overflow really loud?

I love this tank. I think it is clean and sophisticated. I have to MP10's on it, and the return pump is more than enough for me. The overflow is pretty quiet. If it is too loud you can easily baffle the noise. The skimmer is tough to find the sweet spot and keeping it in the right level can be a challenge so somedays it skims well and other days it doesnt.

Archived