ReefCleaners.org

Automatic water changer?

charleydiesing

charleydiesing

I plan on setting up a 4 gallon Nuvo soon, and have been thinking about water changes etc. and how to get a more stable system.

This is my idea,

I've been thinking about using some 1.1ML per hour automatic dosing pumps I have to perform water changes for me.

Concept:

I'll have one pump taking out old saltwater, and the other dosing pump putting in new saltwater, these pumps will run simultaneously to each other for about 10-12 hours a day.

Over the course of a month the system will change around 5-6 gallons of water.

Any thoughts?

-Charley

post-79014-0-29332000-1399156763_thumb.png

charleydiesing

I think you would risk taking out too much new water to be worthwhile.

I see your point but I would have them on different ends of the AIO sump compartments, to where that would not be an issue...

Also I would this running 1 hour on 1 hour off throughout the day. So it wouldn't just be going 12 hours non-stop.

Thanks for your input!

Any other ideas? Has anyone tried this or something like this?

-Charley

• 1 month later...

Did you ever try this ? I was thinking about having something similar to this. Like running 2 AquaLifter,a float switch or two and running each one on a timer. I wasn't going to have it running as frequent,only twice a week for however long it takes the Aqualifter to drain a gallon and replenish a gallon seeming my system is small,7 gallons.

This would be pretty awesome to have/do on a nano system that had sps only other something. But is also awesome for people who are busy or too busy to keep up with water changes.

i would attempt to find one way check valves to run inline of the intake and outtake tubes just to avoid a siphon on either end of it. the only downside i can see this having is the check vavle clogging. totally possible though, lets do it for science.

One of these days I will get 2 aqualifters to do this. As long as you are using the same pumps and a reliable timer you shouldn't need a float switch.

Archived