Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Elegant Blenny info and care

Maniu

D51F02CB-B4FD-4AF6-AE87-35701560A21B-250

From colder waters of Japan, this guys are kind of rare to find at your LFS.

Info on care and requirements for these guys is also very limited.

Subtropical I believe, probably has care similar to other combtooths except the subtropical part. 20 gallons, live rock so they can nip at algae, ect.

Subtropical I believe, probably has care similar to other combtooths except the subtropical part. 20 gallons, live rock so they can nip at algae, ect.

I asked about it in one of coldwater threads and was told that this blenny is indeed coldwater specie. But there is very little info on the web concerning care for Elegant blenny. Basic information I found was skimmed generalization at best. Based on characteristics of the areas these blennies are usually found, it is clear that it isn't your typical tropical fish. Water temperature in those areas is lower but what is the optimum range for these guys is still not clear to me. Their diet is also sketchy...... Some sources categorize them as algae grazers while others recommend meaty food as the main source of nutritions. All in all, without any real hands on experience, it will be frustrating to care for this guy. At the moment, he is a resident of 12" cube. Temp is set at 76F at the moment (it probably should be wayyyyy lower). One thing I can say with confidence is that it seems like an extremely shy little fish.

This guy is SUPER SHY. It has been in my cube about a week and I barely see it. Same goes for his roommates, pixy hawkfish and hector goby. The most active is pistol shrimp with his nem. This nem just can't stand still and moves around the tank quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

He seems to be a lot more social lately. Making it possible to snap few pics. He is actually very curious and charismatic. I suspect that adding few tankmates is what attributed to his bolder behavior. No problems at feeding as he doesn't seem to be too picky. Temperatur remains at 76 degrees and it doesn't seem to botter any fish in this tank.

20140524_161347-1_zpssb2quxkz.jpg20140524_161334-1_zpsgfgfbyez.jpg20140524_161636_zpsdcp631lx.jpg20140524_161942_zpsco3f0kjl.jpg

JavaJacketOC

Interesting color variation between the picture in the 1st post and your real life shots. Does he color up to a full yellow like in the 1st post or is his coloration maybe due to being young? Cool looking fish.

Interesting color variation between the picture in the 1st post and your real life shots. Does he color up to a full yellow like in the 1st post or is his coloration maybe due to being young? Cool looking fish.

I could be wrong but it might be juvenile patern/coloration. He is about 2.75"- 3" long. Very cute and adorable guy but very hard to come by locally (or on the net).

I like his white head! I read somewhere these guys can adapt to higher temps. I am having a hard time deciding between fish for my cold water, this is one that I was looking at too. Ugh.

I like his white head! I read somewhere these guys can adapt to higher temps. I am having a hard time deciding between fish for my cold water, this is one that I was looking at too. Ugh.
I have tailspot blenny and general census is that those are super adorable fish with plenty of character. This is generally true and the same applies to elegant blenny (or even more so). If you thinking of getting one, I would say go for it. As a side note regarding aggression: some sources reported that this guy is very shy and easily bullied. I would agree that Elegant Blenny can be reclusive and shy but this should not less long if you provide it with adequate living conditions and rather peaceful tankmates. I call him a "Tiger" since he is occasionally chasing my most aggressive fish (according to aggression charts) which is latern basslet. Interestingly, he doesn't mind pixy hawkfish or percula clownfish. However, Bass is the newest addition to the tank and perhaps with time it will grow bolder.

Edit: Ocellaris not percula

• 4 months later...
I could be wrong but it might be juvenile patern/coloration. He is about 2.75"- 3" long. Very cute and adorable guy but very hard to come by locally (or on the net).

I have a full grown adult in a 10 gallon coldwater setup with a catalina goby. I keep him with a "real" strawberry anemone, a moonglow anemone, an orange beadlet anemone and a bunch of "strawberry anemones" and "jewel anemones" corallimorphs. He looks exactly like the OP pic and is "beefy", the one posted later seems pretty scrawny and poorly colored so he's either a different subspecies or doing poorly. I keep my small coldwater tank at 60 degrees which is a little warmer than most of them like it but any lower and my tank starts "sweating".

Archived