Coral Vue Hydros

Nanofreaks Shallow 45 CADlight

Nanofreak79

I'm gonna go ahead and like that. Lol. I expected a bigger skimmer honestly, yes I know it shows dims. My BM wasn't producing any skim even with raising the water level as much as I could for the sump. I don't have the cash for the skimmer I wanted and for one that works in shallow depths. I have a high bio load so no skimming is bad for me. Hopefully this breaks in and does the job for now. It fits in my ten gallon sump which is where it'll go when I get a better skimmer. I've read lots of good reviews? I dunno, fine for now.

Yeah I know I have read a ton of good reviews for the one I have too, but it still after I dunno how many months (3-4??) needs regular adjustment to pull anything.... maybe I just got a bad one or somethin but I have a semi-decent bio-load with 5 fish (1 being a tang) and regular feedings while running bio-pellets lol. But I agree on the looks like a play toy compared to other skimmers, that thing was surprisingly small....even for the box it came in lol

Either way, hope it works out for ya man. :)

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nanofreak79

Decided to clean up the look a little and hang my fixture. Diatoms are dying down, but still present in a fairly large patch on the sandbed. I'm also getting a little cyano.....thinking from not having a skimmer up and running has made this possible. I'm hoping it doesn't get out of control and my new skimmer breaks in soon.

http://flic.kr/p/of3qGX'>14598753175_d7fdcbcd39.jpghttp://flic.kr/p/of3qGX'>20140707-143241-1 by -Nanofreak79-

I think it's 36x24x12. I know this because I have been drooling over it for months......lol.

Those are pretty sexy dimensions.

Nanofreak79

Been looking for sps......having trouble finding a quality vendor with nice pieces and decent prices. I'm almost willing to go to my expensive LFS. I also went to change my RO membrane and couldn't get the housing unscrewed. I went to Home Depot to get a big channel lock and still no luck, finally ordered a new housing. This sucks because I waited for the membrane and need to make water. I've resorted to distilled for my ATO.

Look at PacificEastAquaculture,and check the $15 under section. It's always slapped full with super nice sps frags. Check out MyReefToYours as well.

Been looking for sps......having trouble finding a quality vendor with nice pieces and decent prices.

Goodluck just a bunch of bs or freshies out there right now IMO. :( There isn't even much on Cherry's site. I know they get a bit pricey, but atleast it is never fresh cut and they quarantine everything and make sure it is good before listing it for availability. One of these days I will probably just get ahold of Todd and drive down and pick through the warehouse.... they have a couple large vats (like 8-12'x 3-4') full of SPS. Just need to find some time and a desire to make a day outta it as they are about 1.5 hrs drive each way and Todd likes to talk coral :)

Idk if you got my text or not,I screen shot the huge list of sites I have. If anything I'll PM them to you. I'm sure you e probably heard or been on a few of them.

Nanofreak79

Yeah I didn't see much at PEA. I looked at cultivated reef, which seems to have some nice selection of sps. There just really nice pictures though, no wysiwyg section. I looked at the other place, my reef to yours and they seemed like they had better looking coral but a small selection.

Idk if you got my text or not,I screen shot the huge list of sites I have. If anything I'll PM them to you. I'm sure you e probably heard or been on a few of them.
I'll PM you my new number. I got a different phone.
SouthFlorida_Tron

The cost of the frags isn't always the gripe, its the damn near $40-50 shipping charge, oh, and the handling "fee" lmao

Nanofreak79
Yeah,PEA is hit or miss sometimes. Alright,sounds good. I have a list f probably 40+ sites lol.
Daaaaaaaaayum.

The cost of the frags isn't always the gripe, its the damn near $40-50 shipping charge, oh, and the handling "fee" lmao
I like straight forward shipping prices and no extra bs charges myself.

Man if only vendors ever had a chance at free shipping.... lol

Handling fee is a joke tho.

Nanofreak79

Free shipping I'd you hold out and put in a decent amount of cash is still a good deal. For me I try and order up to there free shipping amount. I figure if I'm gonna pay $50 to ship something that's a nice frag or two maybe.

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished setting my 45 gl shallow reef and transferring my 14 gl biocube over. I had to attempt to put together the stand 3 different times before I broke down and asked them for a better set of instructions. What they sent was nearly laughable. It was the exact same set of instructions in Chinese with 6 steps for putting together the stand in English. SIX! Needless to say, it took a lot of guessing with lots of leftover parts to worry me but it was up, stable and holding the tank. I'm considering designing my own stand to ease my mind a bit.

Nanofreak79

Yeah the stand directions I got were for a totally different stand. I washable to figure it out, after I got the right part. Lol. I like it, but it could use better instructions and be just a little taller. It works for me,because I can sit on the couch and see into the tank easily, plus I like being bale to look down into it easily.

Nanofreak79

So I got up today and cyano is almost gone! I've been using the coral snow form KZ and just purchased a bunch of other KZ bottles along with some of there cyano clean. I'm trying zeobak and coral snow mixed together.mand then now using cyano clean staring today.

I just ordered a apex controller to,replace my broken RKL. Pretty excited to get this controller. I,didn't have enough cash to buy all the extra modules I wanted, but will save for those. Al, in all the tank is looking pretty good since the transfer.

Nanofreak79

Besides the cyano, im just getting the lights dialed in. With only 10" or so of water it's hard to keep everything happy, with the right amount of light. I think I have the light close to being dialed in. Everything else seems to be settling in nice otherwise. Sps are being a little finicky now. I ordered a bunch of KZ bottle to help out with the tank. I finally broke down and bought them after having good luck with the nano package.

Yeah, must just be that time of year, new tanks and cyano. It's just weird because I had no issue w/ cyano like this in the other 3 tanks.

30 shallow by Deep Blue is also really nice. Someone has one here and it's a beautiful macro tank I just subscribed too, darn it, can't remember their name.

Nanofreak79

Yeah I previously had the DB 34 gallon. The cad is 24" deep where the DB is 18". The build of the tanks is slightly different. I think the cad deffimetly has a leg up on the quality. Both are great tanks. I personally don't prefer AIO tanks, unless there nano's. The fusion doesn't give you a full depth to work with because of the rear chambers. Not to say fusions aren't nice tanks. I'll get some more FTS up this week.

Archived