Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nanofreaks Shallow 45 CADlight

Nanofreak79

Reefkid88

That's total bs man.. honestly you could build one for cheaper than $400 !!! And it'll probably look better and be more reliable. I would never trust a tank that big on one of those particle wood ass stands! That's just me. Some people don't mind it nor spending the money on it,but if I can do better myself for cheaper,I will/would.

You figure:

- Wood = $60-$70 ( a sheet or 2 of plywood,2x4's,wood to make shelves inside the sand ) maybe tack on a few more dollars for some good looking doors and some fancy edge molding/trim,

- Screws and other misc sh*t ( sand paper,sand paper tool,hinges,braces ect ) = $25-$35

- Wood glue,sealant,prime,paint or stain ect - $50-$60

- Tools - $100-$150ish ( Nice drill, electric sander,tiny hand saw with some good blades,big bits to make some decent holes )

That's $305 -/+ for a stand that you can make look amazing,sturdy as hell,last you longer than the tank will ever be up for and something you put your own time and effort into,if you're down for that type of thing lol. I know me and my brother n law built one for this 40 breeder for under $150 and that thing was a beast. It had doors,shelves on the inside and we mounted a t5 light strip underneath and ran it off of one of those as seen on tv switches and sockets.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nanofreak79

I built a stand for my 120. I'm not totally against it, just don't want to mess with all the bs. I agree that it's cheaper, can't argue that. I'd need 4 sheets of ply, and those aren't cheap for nice ones. I have a nice drill and saw, but not a table saw, router, jigsaw and other stuff I'd want to do it right and make things easy on myself. My buddy has a framed up 24x48 right now. It basically needs the finishing. Idk, I've been thinking of what to do all night honestly. I can still cancel the stand up until the end of the week. Hmmm..

If the DB stand is the one you want, continue as planned. If it comes in damaged and they won't use another carrier then I would consider making your own.... I know some tank manufacturers won't warranty their tanks if they aren't on their stands as well so that is something to look into also.

Wow that is some serious damage. I wouldn't put all the blame on the drivers though, the packing looks pretty bad. All of the wood and pieces are right against the cardboard. Most flat pack, or partial assembly required furniture comes with lots of sturdy styrofoam and thick cardboard Ls to protect corners.

Reefkid88

Like Chris said,whatever you think is best. I'd call DBS and see what they say,if they'd still warranty it then I'd say screw it,get a good plug in dremel and with some different attachments and you're golden. I'd just hate to see the stand come in looking like Andre the Giant played kick ball with it again.

Nanofreak79
If the DB stand is the one you want, continue as planned. If it comes in damaged and they won't use another carrier then I would consider making your own.... I know some tank manufacturers won't warranty their tanks if they aren't on their stands as well so that is something to look into also.
That's very true. I'll look into there warranty. I actually like the stand. My 34 is using there's as well, with a little modding on the center brace, which I removed to fit my fat head into.

Wow that is some serious damage. I wouldn't put all the blame on the drivers though, the packing looks pretty bad. All of the wood and pieces are right against the cardboard. Most flat pack, or partial assembly required furniture comes with lots of sturdy styrofoam and thick cardboard Ls to protect corners.
I'll have to agree. If ikea can do it, why not DB. I actually thought I'd have to put it together myself. My last stand came assembled to.it was also from DB.

Like Chris said,whatever you think is best. I'd call DBS and see what they say,if they'd still warranty it then I'd say screw it,get a good plug in dremel and with some different attachments and you're golden. I'd just hate to see the stand come in looking like Andre the Giant played kick ball with it again.
I agree. Why you guys gotta give me anxiety. Plus now you have me being mr. Indecisive. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it figured out. I might make another call to amazon and see if they know where it's shipping from and if they can somehow stick there nose in and get it here in one piece and not beat to hell.
Reefkid88

hahah because there's options mannnnne,always think outside the box dood !!!

On another not,my camera blows the skin flute while trying to shoot under blue leds.. SO GRAINY :furious:

Nanofreak79

Pi appreciate all the comments and suggestions, I'm just bent right now. Hahaha on the camera. I had issue until I found one with white balnce control and some other manually done settings. It's still ok for tank shots but I wanted the DSLR. My new/old DSLR I got is gonna be way better, even being am older model. KEH has some really good deals and I must say my camera looks like new, granted I have t used it yet but it seems like I got a good deal so far. Might want to look there. Peeps on here hate on them shitty pics.

Damn this freaking autocorrect....trust me I'm saying it right it just looks like terrible grammar. Lol.

Reefkid88

I'm the end man,on whatever topic it may be. Do whatever you feel is right ( speaking on the stand ).

As for the camera,I'm sure it'll be just fine. They don't make the adapter anymore for my camera ( Sony DSC-H20 to be exact ) but I have one in storage lol along with 5+ macro lenses and other filters from my photography days. I'm really thinking about using the 5s I got just for tank pics and getting this iPhone lense kit for like $100 and just using that lmao. Screw it,it'll do.

Nanofreak79

I got the 5s. It's decent but blues look like shit IMO. I'll have to check into the lense kit, sounds pretty sweet.

Reefkid88

You should,it comes with a fish eye,wide angle,macro,polarizer,telephoto and the super fish eye is a add-on. And free shipping over $50.

I'm thinking about getting the same pack.

Also,there's always the OlloClip for the iPhones.

Nanofreak79

I had to help the ups guy load the broken stand into his truck. I cancelled the other stand from amazon, and they also pulled it from there website. She told me they would look into other means of transport, aka freight. They have that option for certain items, but not this one? Any away, now I'm building one. This whole day has got me twisted from a broken azz skimmer and a no go on the stand. FML.

Reefkid88

Glad you decided to build your own stand man,which I think is the overall better option and choice. You can out your own touches,add your own options and do things the way Freak wants too.

What happened to the skimmer ?

I had to help the ups guy load the broken stand into his truck. I cancelled the other stand from amazon, and they also pulled it from there website. She told me they would look into other means of transport, aka freight. They have that option for certain items, but not this one? Any away, now I'm building one. This whole day has got me twisted from a broken azz skimmer and a no go on the stand. FML.

Build one like Urbaneks ( I think that's the name) omgomgomg.

Sorry about the twisted day :(.

Sorry to hear about all the bs with the stand bro, can't wait to see the tank get going though!

Nanofreak79

Picking up the stand tomorrow. I'll try and finish right quick. Hoping for weekend move. I'll see how things go. It would be nice to have the $400 right now.

interested on how this tank will turn out. subscribed.
Me too! Thanks for watching.

Sorry to hear about all the bs with the stand bro, can't wait to see the tank get going though!
Like Chris said, it's a sign!

Build one like Urbaneks ( I think that's the name) omgomgomg.Sorry about the twisted day :(.
I'll check it out, thanks.
Nanofreak79

I'm picking up a 2x4 stand my buddy has in his garage. Little bit of lipstick and I'll have either a pig with lipstick or a decent stand.

I'm picking up a 2x4 stand my buddy has in his garage. Little bit of lipstick and I'll have either a pig with lipstick or a decent stand.

;)

So ups strikes again. They busted my first stand, now the second. Let's hope third times a charm! Here's some pics showing my package and how well it was taken care of.

http://flic.kr/p/nyHWnP]14153802513_52e63a8bde.jpg[/url]http://flic.kr/p/nyHWnP] by -Nanofreak79-[/url]http://flic.kr/p/nfsn4D]13947066839_7d96a57af6.jpg[/url]http://flic.kr/p/nfsn4D] by -Nanofreak79-[/url]http://flic.kr/p/nwFTgy]14130768842_15b9d68441.jpg[/url]http://flic.kr/p/nwFTgy] by -Nanofreak79-[/url]http://flic.kr/p/nuUhJY]14110556156_128f486b47.jpg[/url]http://flic.kr/p/nuUhJY] by -Nanofreak79-[/url]

Now the stand won't be here until Monday. I'm dreading the delivery after seeing this one. The first didn't even make it off the truck.

Aww man...this is bull$. Hopefully everything is taken care by the seller?

Archived