SaltCritters.com

2 Gallon "Cookie Jar"

Jimmyboo

Hi guys,

This is my first shot at an aquarium and so far things are going off pretty good.

Specs:

Filtration:

Mini filter adjustable right now 58 GPH flow.

Heater:

25 Watt heater. As of now it is a bit too big for the tank so the bottom half inch or so sits in the sand. I hope thats ok.

Salinity:

1.026 Trying slowly to get that down to 1.025

PH:

Just checked for the first time: 7.8

Live Rock:

2LB of Fiji Live rock from premium aquatics. So far no hitchhikers :(

Live Sand: 5lb of carib sea

Lighting:

Par 30 about 18k.

FAQ

How old is the tank?

As of now, just under 24 hours old. ;)

Future Plans?

TBD. Input welcome.

Guess thats about it :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright so I am sure a lot of people want pics so I made sure to take a few and can take specific ones if anyone asks. While the pics come out very BLUE, the actual look of the tank is much whiter/natural.

As of now I have seen absolutely 0 life in any form around the tank, but hope that changes as time goes on :)

Best,

JB

I cant seem to upload any photos here because they are too big... So check out the album:

vvvv PICTURES HERE vvvv

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35641952@N08/sets/72157644068927269/

^^^^ PICTURES HERE^^^^

post-84368-0-25973200-1399058253_thumb.png

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see things progress.

1.026 is a fine SG for corals.

You will see some life soon enough. You can sprinkle a very tiny amount of fish flakes etc every 3-4 days. Or read some other threads on cycling your jar.

Compress them.

ehh. click the link, they are all right there. Still have yet too see any life yet which is disappointing.

ehh. click the link, they are all right there. Still have yet too see any life yet which is disappointing.

takes time... forget the tank for 3 weeks

Takes time too see hitchhikers?

Sure does. They don't come out until the conditions are right. Especially pods. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Sure does. They don't come out until the conditions are right. Especially pods. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

What else do you think could still be in there?

Mermaids, maybe a blue whale if your lucky.

:D

but really, at this point I have scoured the tank in hopes of seeing something cool.... Nothing has made itself clear... :mellow:

Stomatellas.

If your lucky you will have a mantis in there.

Be-careful what you wish for... Could get nasties like aiptasia, cyano, and other unwanted guests.

Stomatellas.

If your lucky you will have a mantis in there.

Be-careful what you wish for... Could get nasties like aiptasia, cyano, and other unwanted guests.

You really think those things could still be in the tank at this point?

It will happen, give it a bit.

You may see little pods running around, maybe some little feather-dusters etc, etc.

My little frag tank just started going nuts with these cool (IMO) little pineapple sponges.

I got a little starfish stuck to the wall now too.

Some of the action may/will come in on frags too.

It will happen, give it a bit.

You may see little pods running around, maybe some little feather-dusters etc, etc.

My little frag tank just started going nuts with these cool (IMO) little pineapple sponges.

I got a little starfish stuck to the wall now too.

Some of the action may/will come in on frags too.

Very cool, well I certainly am keeping hope up, but idk. How long did it take for your hitchhikers to start showing up? I am at about 60 hours now.

Anything there will be in small numbers, your tank will cycle over the next couple of weeks or so and start to stabilize etc etc.

I guess I am around 3 months or so now, but my first visible hitch-hiker was aiptasia on the back of a blue mushroom from the lfs.

Actually what I do like happening now in my display tank is some nice dark purple coralline algae action happening on my Key Largo dry rock.

When I had livestock in there originally coralline algae would not take hold, despite me shaving some off of some rubble to try and seed it. (lol probably a newb thing.)

Anyhow in the early stages I had a quick diatom bloom, then a moderate amount of nuisance algae etc. that was occupying the rock, would have been out-competing or interfering with coralline establishment.

I have been collecting a few frags here and there, now I have a reasonable selection I can decide were to place what. I want to frag my frags and glue these to the live rock.

It appears you already have liverock so in some ways you are father ahead then me. Your rock should have all kinds of stuff on there.

Now I am a little more patient, things are really staring to happen.

Think of your rock as filtration and a foundation to put frags on. What more are you expecting? I never see pods b4 about 2 weeks in, and they are so small you need to know what your looking for.

Think of your rock as filtration and a foundation to put frags on. What more are you expecting? I never see pods b4 about 2 weeks in, and they are so small you need to know what your looking for.

hmm interesting. good to know.

So, even though I am a couple of weeks away, Im interested in peoples thoughts on CUC and corals are? Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, what should I look for when at a store hoping to buy some? obviously make sure they are not dead, but anything specific?

Did you get that Elite mini filter? I picked one up yesterday for my jar.

Don't worry about a CUC, look into some easy to care for animals like mushrooms, zoas, GSP etc.

Did you get that Elite mini filter? I picked one up yesterday for my jar.

Don't worry about a CUC, look into some easy to care for animals like mushrooms, zoas, GSP etc.

Elite mini filter rocks!!!! (so far) It can make some noises so I just shut it off and checked inside and it was filled with soot. Took it out and its 100% back to normal. I run it at its lowest setting.

I want a crew though :happy: coral can be boring on its own.

Just checked out the tank. Sulfurish smell present especially on the live rock. Seems like an ammonia buildup which to me sounds like the cycle has started. Hopefully done in a couple weeks.

Just noticed Hitchikers on the GLASS!!!

Copepods... And tones of them.

Next I was looking at the bottom of the tank moving some sand away from the heater and I noticed some weird brown thickish thing. It kept expanding and a long white featherish thing came out of its "mouth" and it grew to about twice it size. Then it got smaller and the process repeated. Not sure what it was but within a min or two it had dug itself in the sand probably never to be seen again.

I do have a video, but its dicey.

EDIT:

Ok, Here it is (note the pods running up the glass in the vid too bottom left at the 30ish second mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOFdoQrSYRA&feature=youtu.be

Best,

JB

Archived