SaltCritters.com

Urbanek's 250

urbaneks

Still one of the the most impressive builds I have seen in the hobby. Absolutely gorgeous.

RollaJase - Those are strong words and I really appreciate them. Thanks so much!

Starry blennies are so cool, I love mine. Such a ham!

Jedi - Agree so much, never had one until last week. Can't believe I've been missing out all this time.

WOW, I think I see a starfish in the shrimp's grasp/hands/claws. Guessing based on the caption, that was intentionally captured while the shrimp was eating?

Micoastreefing - You are correct! He never goes without a starfish in his grasp. I had a huge population of starfish and it's getting down to slim pickins. I will have to start buying a starfish now and again just to keep him fed.

• Like 1

Just subbed. Now you have 100 followers for your build!

Such an impressive tank. Truly unbelievable :wub:

Elizabeth - Thanks for subscribing. I didn't realize you could see the subscriber count. That's pretty cool.

At any rate, your comment inspired me to post new shot that I just got of my Starry Blenny. I think it's my favorite photo I've taken this year.

Starry%202_zpsolmwevx6.jpg

Starry Blenny - Back lit by sunlight coming in our sliding glass doors. I love how the light is coming through the eye lashes.

• Like 9
Elizabeth94

Really great shot! You can see every dot on him.

I really need to invest in a half decent camera.. this phone can not handle reef lights.

That picture is fantastic!

Teeny - Much appreciated. I'm loving that photo.

Beautiful pictures on the previous page.

metrokat - Thanks a bunch for stopping in, taking a look and taking time to comment.

Really great shot! You can see every dot on him.

I really need to invest in a half decent camera.. this phone can not handle reef lights.

Elizabeth - Agree, all reefers need a good camera! They are great reefing tools and the two hobbies blend well together.

• Like 2
mitten_reef

Elizabeth - Agree, all reefers need a good camera! They are great reefing tools and the two hobbies blend well together.

Perhaps you've mentioned it before, but what are the different camera equipment you use in your photography? Clearly starting out with a good camera, then add a Macro lens for the close-up?, any filter?, always shoot with a tripod? any gadget like the port hole for under water shot? Most of your shots look like the camera would need to be within inches of the subjects, or can your camera just focus and zoom right through the water/glass surface, or was that just the focus stacking you mentioned a while back?

Perhaps you've mentioned it before, but what are the different camera equipment you use in your photography? Clearly starting out with a good camera, then add a Macro lens for the close-up?, any filter?, always shoot with a tripod? any gadget like the port hole for under water shot? Most of your shots look like the camera would need to be within inches of the subjects, or can your camera just focus and zoom right through the water/glass surface, or was that just the focus stacking you mentioned a while back?

My camera body is a Canon 70d. 90% of the photos I take, I take with a 100mm Canon Macro Lens. I don't use any filters when I shoot the aquarium. I rarely shoot with a tripod unless the camera settings call for a shutter speed slower than 1/30th of a second. Most are able to hold steady enough to compensate for about 1/30th of a second. With that said, a tripod will always make your photos better. I do have a port hole which is a fantastic tool. Mos of my shots are in tight but I'm also able to take photos and crop if needed. As for focus stacking, I've only done it 2 times which was back in January. It's a time consuming process that I don't do very often.

• Like 2

I like that photo too, you don't get to see very many sunset fish photos.

Ben - Thanks for view and comment. True about the fish sunset photos. :) Hope all is well with the frag plugs.

Thanks! Headed to your area for a few days to soak up that balmy Arizona weather.

Ben, If you are anywhere near Chandler, give me a shout. Would love to have you over to see the tank.

July 30th, 2016 - Photo Update

Time for my weekly photo update. Thanks to all those that continue to view and comment.

July%20FTS_zpszgpxzeu4.jpg

We will start today out with a current FTS.

Right%20Side_zpsatjtdysa.jpg

Here is a bit more of a detailed shot of the front right of the aquarium. For scale, the slimer is 18" from left to right.

PB_zpsa9uwalmz.jpg

ORA Pearl Berry - One of the GOAT

Starry%202_zpsolmwevx6.jpg

My new Starry Blenny - Love this addition

Tazardi_zpszhdn7ew6.jpg

Tazardi - Really like how this lone stalk stands out among the other branches

FoxFlame_zpsz3gvl8ml.jpg

Jason Fox - Fox Flame

Midnight%20Stag_zpsp6o0godg.jpg

Midnight Stag - Love the details in the coralites

Goni_zpsmvzd6vku.jpg

WWC Red Goni

Lobo_zps8p8x25nl.jpg

Lobo

SkullCracker_zpscdsjjp9w.jpg

Rocky Mountain Corals Skull Cracker

• Like 6

Project%20365%20Month%207_zpsn0zwxjnf.jp

July Recap - Reliving the Dog Days of Summer

As I've done a the end of each month, here is a quick recap of my favorite photos from the month, rolled up into a single image. For those following along on one of the other forums, I've been doing a Project 365 where I post a photo of the tank each day. As I reflect back on 7 months of reefing and photography, its difficult to believe I've made it this far. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm a good starter of things, not always a great finisher. This is a real test for me.

Thanks for looking, comments are always appreciated!

• Like 6

Lobo_zps8p8x25nl.jpg

This Lobophyllia is beautiful. All of your corals are gorgeous, but I'm a sucker for Lobophyllias. Also, you could make the ugliest and worst aquarium nuisance look stunning. Great work!!

I would love to stop by! I will be close-ish, so I should be able to pop over this weekend.

Ben - Sorry that I missed you while you were in town. Hope you were able to stay cool while in AZ.

Wow.

Your reef is stunning!

myarmolich - Thanks so much!

Your tank is obviously beautiful, but the pictures you take of it are incredible as well! Love seeing updates on this!!

hinnenkm - Thanks for the kind words on the reef and photos.

This Lobophyllia is beautiful. All of your corals are gorgeous, but I'm a sucker for Lobophyllias. Also, you could make the ugliest and worst aquarium nuisance look stunning. Great work!!

Nick - Appreciate the view and comment. The lobo's are sweet.

August 2nd, 2016 - Photo Update
Here is a quick photo recap of my Project 365 for the first 7 months of the year.

Thanks for looking

Project%20365%20Month%207_zpsn0zwxjnf.jp
July

Project%20365%20Month%206_zpsddpb0iv6.jp
June

Project%20365%20Month%205_zpsyifzl8mr.jp
May

Project%20365%20Month%204_zpseqb8phig.jp
April

Project%20365%20Month%203_zpsvgf7bfvb.jp
March

Feb%20Wrap%20Up_zpshullfs8h.jpg
February

January%20Wrap%20Up_zpspiotcrjl.jpg
January

• Like 2

It would be awesome to stitch 12 months worth of your updates together and have them printed out on some photo quality A3 or A1 paper, it would make a pretty impressive poster.

It would be awesome to stitch 12 months worth of your updates together and have them printed out on some photo quality A3 or A1 paper, it would make a pretty impressive poster.

RollaJase - I've had a few folks suggest and ask for a poster or calendar. As the year end draws closer, I'll figure something out to make good use of this work.

• Like 4