Coral Vue Hydros

Mike's First Reef Tank (SOLD! 2/9/16)

michaelrzachmann

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark quick question since i know you have a lot of great reefing experience. just saw my emerald crab flipping around on the front of the tank with one claw (all legs and other claw gone) This isnt what molting for him would look like right? Something must have attacked him and ripped them all off and if so can they grow back or is he def a goner?

That is definitely not a molt. The legs can grow back, but only if the crab can stay healthy long enough to molt a few times.

Oh, and congrats on the birthday!

michaelrzachmann

That is definitely not a molt. The legs can grow back, but only if the crab can stay healthy long enough to molt a few times.

Oh, and congrats on the birthday!

Thanks yeah i dont think he is going to make it the urchin took him for a ride today lol now he is just in the sand only moving his one arm around a little bit. Woke up and saw the urchin muchin on the assassin wrassehole so the tank should be a lot more peaceful now lol

• 3 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

Did a little cleaning today, water change and finally got some aiptasia X to take care of those ugly ass things. First impression looks like it completely destroyed all of them in a couple minutes. Nothing else much changed hopefully a photo update in the future since i know i hate threads that lack pics.

Question: Anyone running their nano without mechanical filtration, filter floss, or sponge? Im having trouble with the not reef designed back filter in my tank and today just got fed up and took out the filterfloss for now.

I currently have a HOB filter that I only occasionally put floss into. I usually stir up the sand bed and keep the floss in there until the water clears again then take it out.

• 2 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

Clowns and Cleaner Shrimp have now been living happily for one year in my tank. Did a water change today and things have been looking okay recently. Tank has looked better but recently i have been doing way more just sitting back and enjoying it (and not obsessing so much) which is the reason i got a fish tank in the first place. The acans and frogspawn look better than ever but the zoas have not been opening up as much recently. Still nothing added just been doing maintenance and letting the tank be.

photo%204%205_zps3mn6t6gp.jpg

photo%205%204_zps78oyo0nz.jpg

photo%201%2012_zpswer2sdox.jpg

photo%203%208_zpsjd8puvwp.jpg

photo%202%2010_zpsfjqgyoym.jpg

photo%201%2011_zpsdcyfounu.jpg

photo%202%2011_zpsgqlc4ocm.jpg

photo%205%203_zpsuxhqwm2j.jpg

photo%204%204_zps6794lgil.jpg

photo%203%207_zpsh5rexqnm.jpg

photo%202%209_zpsusbvdshn.jpg

photo%201%2010_zpszcv6cg8l.jpg

Zoas are funny that way. I never did learn the trick of keeping them happy so I just quit buying them. Everything else in your tank looks happy and healthy.

• 3 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

switched out the mj900 on my remora for a MJ1200 i had extra lying around and it is working much much much better. Producing 10 times the amount of thick foam and not only more skimmate but darker too. Much happier with the skimmer now

Hi Mike,

sorry I missed the crab question months ago. :) I don't like crabs, well except for acro crabs. Female emeralds can be ok but I hear all kinds of nightmare stories about older male emeralds tearing up corals.

Tank looks great, belated congrats on one year!

michaelrzachmann

Zoas are funny that way. I never did learn the trick of keeping them happy so I just quit buying them. Everything else in your tank looks happy and healthy.

Thanks a lot brotha

Hi Mike,

sorry I missed the crab question months ago. :) I don't like crabs, well except for acro crabs. Female emeralds can be ok but I hear all kinds of nightmare stories about older male emeralds tearing up corals.

Tank looks great, belated congrats on one year!

Thank you thank you and thanks for following your tank is dopeee

Cencalfishguy56

Thanks a lot brotha

Thank you thank you and thanks for following your tank is dopeee

I used the mj900 on my remora and it pulled some dark ass skimmate, the best skimmate I've ever seen haha well close to it but anyways if you want to still know how to make it dead silent then stuff some wet paper towel down in the first chamber to the left, you'll have to also push the inserted sponge down that's alrea in there but I did that and it literally went from day to night real quick haha

• 2 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

I used the mj900 on my remora and it pulled some dark ass skimmate, the best skimmate I've ever seen haha well close to it but anyways if you want to still know how to make it dead silent then stuff some wet paper towel down in the first chamber to the left, you'll have to also push the inserted sponge down that's alrea in there but I did that and it literally went from day to night real quick haha

Mine just has the foam piece and isnt that noisy so i just left it, thanks though

michaelrzachmann

Just got the iphone 6 so tried taking some photos, Combating cyano again but its receding

IMG_0018_zpsfnrngzvf.jpg

IMG_0019_zpsvjqwopdr.jpg

IMG_0020_zpsgwhcjzks.jpg

IMG_0026_zpstlv3rqkl.jpg

IMG_0027_zpsdimikvcc.jpg

IMG_0028_zpsaiobixa4.jpg

IMG_0031_zpstdz3fmu4.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

Just got the iphone 6 so tried taking some photos, Combating cyano again but its receding

IMG_0018_zpsfnrngzvf.jpg

IMG_0019_zpsvjqwopdr.jpg

IMG_0020_zpsgwhcjzks.jpg

IMG_0026_zpstlv3rqkl.jpg

IMG_0027_zpsdimikvcc.jpg

IMG_0028_zpsaiobixa4.jpg

IMG_0031_zpstdz3fmu4.jpg

No problem man! And I'm thinking about getting some macro lens for my iPhone 6

michaelrzachmann

Looks like it's time to frag that monti.

To be honest never even fragged before. It goes through spurts, just going to let it go and see how it grows

Tank looks great!

thanks man, nothing compared to yours but not bad for my first reef. Much greater things to come after i graduate and move out

• 2 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

Still battling cyano but the RBTA was lookin HUGE today. Currently using ultra life red slime remover but i found chemi clean to be much more effective

32AF984D-3674-4FA0-BD9D-3179014F665B_zps

Archived