Coral Vue Hydros

Mike's First Reef Tank (SOLD! 2/9/16)

michaelrzachmann

Barebottom works better for the incredibly high flow for Acropora. It's also easier to remove detritus or keep it suspended so it goes in the sump where it can be trapped and removed.

I have sand, I can't do it. I just used a larger grain and gravel vac on occasion.

Nice tank by the way, I missed this and now subscribed. Keep us updated! :)

On that tank above. He doesn't do water changes because he changes the water with all that equipment. If you have your own water treatment plant built in there is no need to change the water. :D

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michaelrzachmann

Barebottom works better for the incredibly high flow for Acropora. It's also easier to remove detritus or keep it suspended so it goes in the sump where it can be trapped and removed.

I have sand, I can't do it. I just used a larger grain and gravel vac on occasion.

Nice tank by the way, I missed this and now subscribed. Keep us updated! :)

On that tank above. He doesn't do water changes because he changes the water with all that equipment. If you have your own water treatment plant built in there is no need to change the water. :D

i cant either man i think it looks so much better with sand idc if i have to do a little extra maintenance... thanks im subscribed to your upgrade cant wait to see that shit. yah it basically is a water treatment plant its pretty sweet but man that tank is beautiful

snowflake_clown

New to the forum, and just wanted to say your tank is looking great man. Read through this entire thread and it definitely shows you've put a lot of work into it. Sorry about your run in with velvet, but glad to see things are going good for you now. Looking forward to keeping an eye on your updates. Did your bubble tip end up splitting?

michaelrzachmann

New to the forum, and just wanted to say your tank is looking great man. Read through this entire thread and it definitely shows you've put a lot of work into it. Sorry about your run in with velvet, but glad to see things are going good for you now. Looking forward to keeping an eye on your updates. Did your bubble tip end up splitting?

welcome... be careful haha i feel like i been spending more time following others tanks than enjoying my own this can be just as addicting! thanks a lot, a lot of work lol.... no it never split maybe its just shaped like that or ha to do with flow not really sure but its lookin healthy for now and thats all that matters to me

Dude that urchin is sick! I really want one for my tank but I think I am going to get a shrimp instead. Your SPS is looking great! I hope I can get nice growth like that when I finally get around to adding SPS to my build.

michaelrzachmann

Dude that urchin is sick! I really want one for my tank but I think I am going to get a shrimp instead. Your SPS is looking great! I hope I can get nice growth like that when I finally get around to adding SPS to my build.

you got way nice LED's then me, with stable parameters you should be good to grow any sps.... and why not get both!?

michaelrzachmann

Sps looking good man. They are addictive you will be upgrading soon. I smell a 40 breeder

thank bro, they really are, i rembember when i first got into saltwater and all i wanted was LPS lol that didnt last too long. Im already dying to upgrade already but although 40 breeders are nice sizes it wont be that and it wont be until i graduate from college have my own place and the money. Hopefully it will be a shallow rimless cube i really like the looks of those

The AI is nice - but it's barley enough light for full coverage of the tank - so anything demanding is going to have to be pretty centralized. I will probably have to build a custom mount and raise it up a bit to get better coverage. I could get both an Urchin and Shrimp I suppose. I just don't want to over stock with critters as I already have 4 fish and plan to add a bubble tip at some point - and those things are pretty messy lol.

michaelrzachmann

I like the urchin, very cool. Is it being a model citizen?

besides carrying my smallest colony of zoas and two snails around on his back yes lol

michaelrzachmann

Photo Dump!

Tank maintenance day (cleaned pumps, changed GFO, changed carbon, changed filter floss, cleaned front glass, vacuumed sandbed, dosed reef fusion part one and ph buffer, and did big water change) and the corals dont look too pissed off

FTS

photo14_zpse6a9600e.jpg

photo41_zps81a55d0d.jpg

Zoas

photo35_zps66156bf7.jpg

Blue Pays

photo42_zps22daa16e.jpg

photo25_zpsb8c350ce.jpg

These zoas finally startin to open up, really like the colors on them, not sure of ID but dont really care about crazy names

photo15_zpsd06eee61.jpg

Monti Cap still growin a little (hopefully stays that way)

photo5_zpsd2285900.jpg

Cans

photo34_zpse7c2a0b8.jpg

Birdsnest growin like crazy sproutin new nubs everwhere takin all my calc out of the water

photo24_zps393c1a88.jpg

michaelrzachmann

Happy Hollidays all yall... Since i got an hour to kill i took some more crappy iphone pics to give a little update... No major changes just some sps and zoa growth and some hated GHA

FTS

429ac4d4-0502-4c76-89d9-ef6e76658462_zps

Straight angle FTS

photo37_zps8c0494ba.jpg?t=1417560253

Monti (Want this thing HUGE)

photo27_zpsc390e6ae.jpg

Birdsnest (Also want this thing HUGE)

photo17_zpsaab5746d.jpg

michaelrzachmann

That orange cap is showing some good growth. How's your phosphates- that might be feeding your algae

havent tested in a while because im running GFO in reactor, not feeding too much, and atleast weekly 30% water changes... will check tomorrow though to make sure

havent tested in a while because im running GFO in reactor, not feeding too much, and atleast weekly 30% water changes... will check tomorrow though to make sure

With the GFO and your w/c scheduled I wouldn't think phosphates are high then.

Yea, I was going to say. My BTA has been good, it only moved up when lights went out for a couple of days in my old 46. I moved him and the rock to the bottom of my bigger tank and made sure light levels were about the same and so far he hasn't budged. So far ....

michaelrzachmann

Yea, I was going to say. My BTA has been good, it only moved up when lights went out for a couple of days in my old 46. I moved him and the rock to the bottom of my bigger tank and made sure light levels were about the same and so far he hasn't budged. So far ....

luckily mine hasnt moved since he found that little cave up there

Archived