Pod Your Reef

Mike's First Reef Tank (SOLD! 2/9/16)

michaelrzachmann

michaelrzachmann

Today is again HOPEFULLY the last time i touch the tank for a while besides water changes/ changing media etc.... But today i did pick up another coral. With the added light power and with my monti and acro seeming to be doing well i couldnt pass up on this beautiful birdsnest giant frag... Hopefully it goes well because transport and glueing the coral did not go well at all. First i dropped the bag and then when i went to glue the frag onto the rock my girlfriend kept calling me and calling me and i couldnt get it to stick so it dropped in my tank a couple times and was in and out of the water multiple times. Im optimistic that it will be able to recover and atleast for today it is looking great. I also decided to try out purigen after hearing lots of good things and having no way of keeping nitrates down besides water changes and a little chaeto. Anyway hopefully i will have nothing to post for a while except the tank looking awesome and maybe ill even be able to save a little money up.

image59_zpscf7e0242.jpeg

image63_zps8d421d6b.jpeg

image62_zpsc50995af.jpeg

image61_zps8197acd2.jpeg

image60_zpsbf262186.jpeg

Sick video.

Thanks brotha

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

Ive been having a lot of bubbles in my tank lately and goddamn are they annoying! i have had the same skimmer since i got the tank and never had this problem till now. Any suggestions to fix this or what the problem is??? thanks

• 2 weeks later...
michaelrzachmann

well.... i caved and bought a new coral sooner than i wanted to ofcourse. Its a green hydnophora and holy shit is this green. It was so bright i couldnt pass it up. However i have heard these things are aggressive as shit and will kill anything close to it. I had trouble finding a place up high enough secluded and away from my anemone and i fear it may now be too close to my birdsnest. Anyone have expirience with these and can let me know if it is too close to the birdnest?

image64_zpsf2254b6e.jpeg

Those hydnophoras really are goddamn terrorist man. Tank looks awesome though. Back to the skimmer issue, you have adjusted the height it's in have you? I hate microbubbles almost as much as algae. This thing is going to look sick grown out even more.

24 hours after using chemi clean. impressed

image67_zpsfab92b86.jpeg

I just put Chemi clean elite in my system. I hope I get as good a results as you! Nice tank.

michaelrzachmann

Those hydnophoras really are goddamn terrorist man. Tank looks awesome though. Back to the skimmer issue, you have adjusted the height it's in have you? I hate microbubbles almost as much as algae. This thing is going to look sick grown out even more.

Haha so ive heard, didnt research much before i got it (when am i gonna learn lmao), and i havent seen or heard of them too often so i didnt really listen to the guy at the LFS too much when he was telling me how much of a bitch they can be but not problems so far so i guess ill wait and if it attacks something ill move it. As for the skimmer idk if this makes sense but i think the bubbles were due to the cyano bacteria if that is possible and thanks about the tank, im actually very happy with how its lookin for my first saltwater tank and am finally getting some growth (thinkin about upgrading to a retro fit by Dave) but that will prob not be till after christmas if i do but for now im pretty happy with it (besides dying to upgrade to a shallow cube (i like the 45 cadlights system) with a more minimal scape with depth but that wont be until i finish college and move out probably)

Love the tank dude. Looks good!

Thanks brotha!

I just put Chemi clean elite in my system. I hope I get as good a results as you! Nice tank.

Decreased feeding, water change after water change, all levels were good but still couldnt get rid of it so i went for the chemiclean last resort. Within 24 hours 85% of it was gone with corals looking unaffected and 48 hours later (today) it is 95% gone. Very pleased with it

michaelrzachmann

Might have missed it but, what LEDs are you running over it now? A retrofit from Steve's?

I wish! lol

Lighting: Current USA Truelumen Pro 1 12k White/453 nm Blue Strip, 1 453 nm Blue Strip, and 1 Ecoxotic Panorama Pro 12k White/453 nm Blue strip connected with Current USA Ramp Timer Pro

michaelrzachmann

Your light does look good though. Your corals show good color under it.

appreciated bro. its all i got for now haha. That saying "Save and buy the equipment you really want because youll regret it, end up buying anyway and wasting on the crappier shit" (or something like that) is really true

9/11/14 Update:

Been really happy with the way the tank is looking since i got rid of the red slime. Got a couple more zoas including some i never seen before for 9.99 each at LFS and i cant wait till there is zoas everywhere.

FTS

photo31_zps812561b4.jpg

Left Side Corals:

photo11_zpsd00ce9b6.jpg

Right Side Corals

photo21_zps2e83d57a.jpg

michaelrzachmann

I think my RBTA may be splitting?

photo22_zps9f3e7f03.jpg

picked up a sweet freebie purple tipped pin cushion urchin (I think) from the LFS today. Thing is cool as shit

photo12_zpsd2bfd540.jpg

photo32_zps018a3db8.jpg

Tank looks good man that RBTA is huge! Not sure what kinda urchin that is, I had a tuxedo pincushion urchin and it is definitely different than yours. Urchins are awesome though, hopefully someone else can confirm an ID for you.

michaelrzachmann

Tank looks good man that RBTA is huge! Not sure what kinda urchin that is, I had a tuxedo pincushion urchin and it is definitely different than yours. Urchins are awesome though, hopefully someone else can confirm an ID for you.

Thanks man i appreciate it, the clown RBTA combo is my favorite part of the tank. They couldnt tell me what it was exactly at the LFS besides "it's an urchin" lol but i believe i a lot more than them about saltwater on certain topics after only 8 months of trial and research. From what i saw on online dealers it looks like purple pincushion urchin to me lol but who knows there are so many different variations in saltwater, the thing looks and acts cool as hell in the tank and if it doesnt eat coral thats all that matters to me

michaelrzachmann

Finally starting to get some SPS growth even with my "wish i had better LED" LEDs! Looks like my acro is growing a new branch

photo23_zps5f8a825f.jpg

photo4_zps6e7633cd.jpg

photo33_zpsb6182ca7.jpg

Snail on an Urchin on a Snail (Excuse the dirty side glass)

photo13_zps40a0b05e.jpg

whats with all the BB tanks?!

Gotta love em- wish I had the guts to do it but the sand keeps calling me. Gotta be much cleaner if you can keep the detritus stirred up enough for the overflow to pick it up. Hermits struggle getting around though- might try it one day. I like the look- painting the underside too is a good look?

michaelrzachmann

Gotta love em- wish I had the guts to do it but the sand keeps calling me. Gotta be much cleaner if you can keep the detritus stirred up enough for the overflow to pick it up. Hermits struggle getting around though- might try it one day. I like the look- painting the underside too is a good look

i dont like the look at all to be honest haha

Archived