Innovative Marine Aquariums

Current Orbit Marine LED

Paul3x16

I have one of these lights over a 20 long for a year now and they are pretty good - Im moving to a 30 (16" tall) and am a little worried about these lights alone so I may add something else to them cuz I love the controller.

What kind of corals do you have growing in the 20 long?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have zoas, frogspawn, torch coral, leathers, mushrooms, Kenya tree, star polyps, a lot of beginners stuff - Things have seem to have done ok in the 12" deep 20 long.

since im moving all this 20 gallon long stuff to a 30 gallon rimless (16" deep) I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a kessil 160 over the weekend and expecting the JBJ this week. My only debate now on lighting is to keep the current orbit near the front of the tank for the timer settings even if I don't need it. May sound kinda hookie but I do like the cloud cover and lightning storm settings however I don't use them that much (when people come over to show off).

Does anyone for see a problem with putting all my 20 long stuff into the 30 rimless and adding 10 more gallons of water? Im thinking of moving only a little bit of my sand as I have a shallow sand bed after lots of weekly cleaning and sucking up sand. I will probably end up moving about five pounds of it or maybe less and adding about ten pounds of new sand. Opinions?

My rock is well established and has a lot of purple on it. I will move the water into new tank and have a few small pieces of filter floss and media I have in a hob refugium that I change out every week - this will get moved into new tank also. Do you think I will have a problem with recycling? Two clown fish and btanemone with cuc will be moved also.

I have zoas, frogspawn, torch coral, leathers, mushrooms, Kenya tree, star polyps, a lot of beginners stuff - Things have seem to have done ok in the 12" deep 20 long.

since im moving all this 20 gallon long stuff to a 30 gallon rimless (16" deep) I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a kessil 160 over the weekend and expecting the JBJ this week. My only debate now on lighting is to keep the current orbit near the front of the tank for the timer settings even if I don't need it. May sound kinda hookie but I do like the cloud cover and lightning storm settings however I don't use them that much (when people come over to show off).

Does anyone for see a problem with putting all my 20 long stuff into the 30 rimless and adding 10 more gallons of water? Im thinking of moving only a little bit of my sand as I have a shallow sand bed after lots of weekly cleaning and sucking up sand. I will probably end up moving about five pounds of it or maybe less and adding about ten pounds of new sand. Opinions?

My rock is well established and has a lot of purple on it. I will move the water into new tank and have a few small pieces of filter floss and media I have in a hob refugium that I change out every week - this will get moved into new tank also. Do you think I will have a problem with recycling? Two clown fish and btanemone with cuc will be moved also.

Well assuming you aren't adding any additional bioload I don't see why you would have any issues with recycling. You also don't have a deep sand bed so you don't have to worry about that. I would just make sure to test frequently after moving tanks because all that stirring around could release some hidden detritus that gets mixed in with the sand and rock. And if you're interested in getting rid of your current fixture, I may be interested in adding a second one to my 20 long. The only thing that I'm not sure about is how you're going to mount the kessil and the current on the same tank without the current blocking out the light. Like, are you blocking more of the Kessil light than the Current is producing?

[Edit]

And idk why but those beginner ones are actually the ones I like the most. I love the movement you get from the soft corals and some of the LPS corals.

I'm guessing one of these would not work on a bc29 to keep montiporas even at the very top?

You know, I'm no longer really all that sure. So far I've seen someone keep a clam and SPS corals with this light but at the same time they aren't super powerful LEDs. I'm keeping LPS corals between 4-6" from the light and they're all doing well. Earlier today I saw someone keeping SPS corals towards the top of their Mr. Aqua 12 gallon so I'm honestly not all that sure any more. I'm not all that big of a fan of SPS corals (for now probably...) but the LPS are doing great. I haven't tried growing any LPS towards the bottom since I only have 3 and they all fit fine on the top.

fishfreak0114

Well im not giving up hope. I justneed to do a little more research. It such an affordable light. I guess I could always get one and keep what I can and if I want hiherlevel light corals (sps) I can buy a second. Exchange rates are so high right now it cost 30 dollars on top of the 130 to buy it. Haven't seen it in canada yet.

With a biocube I personally would look at getting a Kessil. I think they would work better for that shape tank and more powerful. Idk about in Canada but I've seen Kessil 150s going for $115 USD shipped. The new Kessil 160 is better in that it is controllable but it also means that people are trying to get rid of their 150s in order to upgrade.

fishfreak0114

Would I have to cut a hole in the lid to mount a kessil? Im trying to keep the sleek look of the closed biocube hood. That's why I was interested in this light. Saw a video where someone had one of these inside the gutted hood.

Would I have to cut a hole in the lid to mount a kessil? Im trying to keep the sleek look of the closed biocube hood. That's why I was interested in this light. Saw a video where someone had one of these inside the gutted hood.

BIOCUBE LED Retrofit

trueluman 12" in the hood of my old biocube. cheep.

I think you're right. You might have to cut into the hood in order to get the right spread. I'm really not sure though but most likely. Might be able to look around and see if anyone has mounted the kessil inside.

fishfreak0114

Ikinda feel like we jacked this thread. I have another thread going about this. Itis called current USA orbit marine led fixture for bc29. Maybe we could switch to talking on this thread. Or not, up towhoever wantss to talk. I will be following both threads.

Ya that's the only way ive seen them mounted. I stilllike the idea of the current usa light though. Would I need to run fans with it?

Ikinda feel like we jacked this thread. I have another thread going about this. Itis called current USA orbit marine led fixture for bc29. Maybe we could switch to talking on this thread. Or not, up towhoever wantss to talk. I will be following both threads.

We are still talking about the abilities and limitations of the Current Orbit Marine so I think we're good. I have not been running fans with mine but it also isn't mounted inside of a hood. A fan would definitely help but I'm honestly not sure if it is necessary. If you do happen to mount it in the fan, I would check on it after a few hours and see how hot the fixture gets. If it starts getting a bit warmer than you like then see about getting a small fan to put in there.

Hi, I just want to follow up. My tank is 20 L with the dimension of 12.5"L x 30.25"W x 13"H. With just one fixture, would it support SPS in this shallow tank?

yes it will because your tank is olny 13"H, mine is doing great!

this is how my tank was looking, before i rearrange the rocks

image2

this is how it looks after rearranging the rock, i dont know for a reason i lost some of my SPS wahhhh, but everything is back to normal thank GOD!!!

image13

Paul,

I have a 12 gallon long. What setting do you have your lights on? I have mine at 100% actinic. 75% white. Your tank looks great I'm just curious I want to make sure I have enough light

I got one for a standard 10 gallon, 18 to 24 inch , I never was a fan of the current but it was affordable and the controller is an added bonus, for a simple tank I think its promising, I was surprised but the color you get , looks nice and pleasing to the eye, my only question since I'm cycling this tank, is this light at full output on this small tank going to bleach anything? What are most people running there blues to whites? Also is it me or when I look at the leds I do not see and violet leds mixed in just royal blue and bright whites and warm whites?

The Current Orbit worked great for me for some time since my 20 long was very shallow - I would recommend the light for price point on a shallow tank. No fan working on it but I noticed it doesn't get hot. I also liked the low profile look on top of the tank. You will find people that say it's under powered and that if you get two of them then you are at the cost of a high price led system. If you can get by with one then no doubt it is worth it in my mind.

I ended up setting up the Kessil 160 on my 20 long until my 30 gallon jbj rimless gets here (and hopefully it doesn't show up ups broken again). The Kessil is great but obviously more expensive - If I were to keep my 20 long I would have been happy just keeping the Current. As posted earlier - someones observation was correct the orbit blocks out some of the Kessils light as the 20L is only 12" front to back.

Im thinking of keeping the Current Orbit to put over the back of the JBJ 30 over some Chato as a small refugium because I don't have plans on putting a skimmer back there. Does anybody think this is a bad Idea? Micro Algae growth? Or for any other reason? The back where media baskets and room for Macro is 5" from front to back and the Current will go right over that. Some of the Current's light will be over the media baskets - good or bad??

The only thing is the current doesn't have reds which are great for growing plants, , I'd probally try it put blues at zero and run the whites at the power level you think is sufficient, it does have the warm whites m it might suffice, otherwise try a finnex planted plus. Any idea of the true output at 100 percent over a 10 gallon? Or is it try it low slowly workmyour way up to see what can handle what, talking lps and zoas mght try some forgiving sps

All else fails ill put my radion over this thing

• 1 month later...
NanoMaster32

I have one on my 20 long for the past 5 weeks and my Lps have doubled in size. I am also growing monti cap like crazy under one of these. Just be mindful of the coral placement.

Markburns43

I'm very happy with this light after having it for awhile now. It will grow macros as well, and the corals are happy. Nano master what settings are your whites and blues and how high is your montini toonhave one about midfle of the tank 6 to 7 inches from light. Seems to be fine for now no bleaching. I'm running 80 white 95 blue

Archived