Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

eunice worm

Dr.Brain Coral

Dr.Brain Coral

okay I am wondering i i could keep a eunice worm in a nano reef. i have heard all the horror stories of them eating corals. but if i feed it directlywould it still kill corals? the only other inhabitant would be a wennerae mantis shrimp, blue leg hermit, dwarf ceriths, a small pencil urchin till it gets larger, bristle worms and maybe a nassarius snail.

I couldn't resist posting. Ha ha The choice is yours.

HOLY JEEZ :o

I've seen videos of bobbit worms before but dang I was still surprised. At the end, the bubbles that came out after it dragged down the puffer, was that from the puffer getting punctured and releasing what it was storing???

As for actually keeping one, IMO I'd feel safer if it were just the mantis in there, I'd hate to lose one of those guys to a worm especially as they're so intelligent and in some cases pricey.

Dr.Brain Coral

I had thought about when the mantis molts if the worm would hunt him down. The Eunice worms I would find are much smaller usually that was Eunice aphroditois which are the big head honchos of the Eunice worms. I had thought since the mantis is diurnal and the worm nocturnal they wouldn't be competing for food.

I have a Eunice worm in an 8 gallon tank. He lives with a bunch of pods, and 3 species of crab, some of which look more than small enough for him to eat. He hasn't bothered any of the other inverts, however, if I ever put anything other than SPS corals in the tank, he makes them disappear.

I wouldn't recommend a Eunice in a "reef" tank necessarily, but they do make for cool pets.

Here is mine

Dr.Brain Coral

also i had originally planned for my mantis tank to have a built in refugium and I was wondering if i could keep one in there?

i saw your video and thought smaug was so cool. how big was he?

He is currently around 2' long and the thickness of a sharpie. Depending on the species, they can get massive. Smaug is a Giant Eunice, so he is going to outgrow his tank.

Dr.Brain Coral

wow they are cool but i think i will just stick with a mantis shrimp. maybe some day ill keep one in a species tank. :)

I have a Eunice worm in an 8 gallon tank. He lives with a bunch of pods, and 3 species of crab, some of which look more than small enough for him to eat. He hasn't bothered any of the other inverts, however, if I ever put anything other than SPS corals in the tank, he makes them disappear.

I wouldn't recommend a Eunice in a "reef" tank necessarily, but they do make for cool pets.

Here is mine

577.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I had one that was a centimeter long and less than a milimeter thick when it hitchhiked on a frag. The thing got to be 18 inches long, and it devoured crabs, snails, tiny asterina stars, tiny brittle stars, zoanthids, and it mangled corals. I would definitely avoid these things! They are a horrible, destructive nuisance, and even if you like them, they are almost exclusively nocturnal, so you might not see it very much at all. I was rigorous with my maintenance schedule, but all of the sudden I was battling a lot of hair algae. I believe that with its indiscriminate consumption of whatever it could find, it was creating a lot of nitrates. I guess that I'm saying I would probably avoid these things!

Archived