Innovative Marine Aquariums

An Updated LED Guide v1.1

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Very strange that they would add it to the XP-E line and not the XP-E2. You'd figure that Cree would be putting their production into the newer models.

Very strange that they would add it to the XP-E line and not the XP-E2. You'd figure that Cree would be putting their production into the newer models.

There is not a huge difference in the package between XPE and XPE-2, Primary lens size being the major change. Cree have used SIC3 in XPE-2 and updated flux in colours but fundamentally the same product, same as Luxeon have not updated several colours to REBEL ES from Rebel. Key point is the Cree XPE is same flux as Rebel 350mw at 350ma, but I agree with your point

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Hey Ben,

With the advent of Lime coming into vouge, do you think we can elimate Neutral White and go straight with 4:1 RB:WW with a bunch of lime (and of course the suppliments like blue, cyan, and violet)?

Thanks!

jedimasterben

Hey Ben,

With the advent of Lime coming into vouge, do you think we can elimate Neutral White and go straight with 4:1 RB:WW with a bunch of lime (and of course the suppliments like blue, cyan, and violet)?

Thanks!

Definitely a possibility. Lime misses out on the 'warmer' spectrum like the warmer whites give (this is where PC amber comes in, as it is basically a warm white diode without the blue), so it makes sense.

Paleoreef103

Hey Ben,

Thanks!

I just added a few Limes and 2700K warm whites to my array. Limes + a quality Warm white will definitely do the trick.

Just wanted to thank you on your awesome guide Ben. It helped me with my selection of LED's for one of my next projects :D

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Building a t5ho and led hybrid light to replace my mh.

Any advice on going with full spectrum red green warm white or mostly rb and uv 400-410 410- 420 ac

Building a t5ho and led hybrid light to replace my mh.

Any advice on going with full spectrum red green warm white or mostly rb and uv 400-410 410- 420 ac

Depends. Is the t5 supplementing the led or the led supplementing the t5?

jedimasterben

If you could, please keep the suggestions in another thread, I would like to keep this one on just discussion of what we have and where we should go. :)

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

As Luxeon M has been discontinued and is currently unavailable, what would be the most reasonable substitute, Luxeon K or Luxeon T?

The Luxeon M 12v has not been discontinued and will be available again this quarter. Lumileds has never provided any information that they were discontinued, I am thinking they were just having yield issues.

If you need a replacement like RIGHT NOW, though, then the Luxeon K is what you want.

The Luxeon M 12v has not been discontinued and will be available again this quarter. Lumileds has never provided any information that they were discontinued, I am thinking they were just having yield issues.

If you need a replacement like RIGHT NOW, though, then the Luxeon K is what you want.

Thank you Ben. I have been waiting since last quarter when MIlad said it would be available soon, but it keeps delaying.

jedimasterben

Thank you Ben. I have been waiting since last quarter when MIlad said it would be available soon, but it keeps delaying.

Essentially, if Lumileds was discontinuing the M, they would discontinue the entire line, as they all use the same diodes, the same process, the same everything, except that the 3v and 6v versions are run in parallel instead of series.

jedimasterben

What are the chances of a lime LED from Bridgelux?

Probably nil, seeing as there is no response from any other LED manufacturer. Besides, in their formats, there would be no need for lime THAT strong lol, the ones from Lumileds are almost never needed to run over a watt each.

• 6 months later...
jedimasterben

This needs to be updated with Mint. :)

After running some Nanobox arrays with mint, I can say that side by side with just those channels active, there is a slight difference, but in a full array that already has royal blue, there isn't a difference that is discernable by eye. Mint and lime use the same low-wavelength royal blue as their base, with mint just having less phosphor applied so the royal blue peak isn't as 'covered up'. In an array already well-rounded in royal blue and violet, the change from lime to mint just isn't noticeable. :)

Archived