Coral Vue Hydros

Super cheap calc supplementation?

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

I found this stuff really cheap at a local hardware shop and since my calc is really low no matter what size wc I do on my 75g it never gets above 300 using IO salt. This seems like a cheap alternative since I'm not able to find Mrs wages pickling lime for the life of me. I'm sure somebody has had past experience using this stuff or something similar and I would really live to hear to some feedback from those that are more knowledgeable than myself when it comes to dosing calcium supplements. Sorry if I don't respond back too quickly, Monday's are really busy for me here at the plant but any feedback left is appreciated.

Screenshot_2014-04-28-08-30-38-1_zpsri3o

jedimasterben

Instant Ocean only mixes to around 380 for calcium, so water changes won't help at all (and realistically, water changes are a very poor way of adjusting any of the 'big three').

You should be able to get kalkwasser from any grocery store or places like Tractor Supply if you've got one around. (looks like there is one somewhere near you: http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreLocator?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&latlong=27.8005828%7C-97.39638100000002&URL=StoreLocator%3FstoreId%3D10151%26catalogId%3D10051%26langId%3D-1&city=corpus+christi&state=TX&zipCode=&radius=50 )

That being said, hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide. The picture you have, I'm not sure why the percentages all add up to 611.94% lol

gulfsurfer101

Yeah, I know, lol but tractor supply is a 45 minutes away and this stuff is just a fifteen minute round trip for me. For the price they ask for Mrs wagers around here to is kinda crazy. Something like 25 bucks for small bag as opposed to this stuff. 8 bucks for a 5lb bag of calcium seems like a hell of deal. I've read on another site where this was being used as a viable source of calcium but I haven't gotten any responses bumping old threads so I thought I'd ask here.

jedimasterben

Calcium is really not what this will raise, though - alkalinity will be the main component added by limewater. If it were a perfect world, it would raise both calcium and alkalinity in the exact proportion in which they are used in coral skeletons, but typically limewater adds much more alk than it does calcium.

If you used enough saturated limewater to raise your calcium by 10ppm, you would need to add 1.1 gallons of solution, which would also raise your alkalinity by 25ppm, and your pH would raise by 0.6 to 0.7 if dosed at one time.

References:

http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/KalkContribution.php

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/#13

So, basically, kalk is actually a pretty poor choice for raising parameters if used alone in a large tank, and in addition it cannot be used to raise only one parameter.

If I were you, I would test my calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, with magnesium being the most important test. If magnesium is less than 1300, add magnesium sulfate and chloride mixed to bring it to 1390-1450, then I would begin to dose calcium chloride to raise calcium and sodium carbonate (aka baked baking soda) to adjust alk if need be. For calcium chloride, the BRS supplement is the cheapest, but Red Sea Reef Foundation part A is twice as concentrated.

gulfsurfer101

Yeah I noticed my alk is pretty low as well. I'm not sure of magnesium since I don't have a test for it but if need be I can get my hands on some Epsom and make a solution to bring it up a bit but without a test that's risky business. I'm using a baking soda solution to bring up my alk but it's still very low. 4.8 according to my salifert kit. What would be my best method to raise both alk and calc then.

gulfsurfer101

Ok so after reading a little further into it I see what your saying. I need calcium chloride to raise my calcium level and not bring up my ph and dkh too high in doing so. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I have much research to do before I even think about adding anything into my tank that I've never used before. It's a good thing my dad works for oxychem I may just be able to get my hands on this stuff in bulk for next to nothing. I'll have to see what he says about getting some out the plant.

gulfsurfer101

Ok so using the reef calculator I've dosed 20mL of the baking soda solution to bring my dkh from a very low 3.8 to a still low 5.8 over the course of the last day and a half dosing approximately every 12hrs. Rule of thumb was raise to raise 1dkh a day by dosing 20ml at a time but I've read that every 12hrs works fine. I'll know in the morning before I head to work if I'll be at my next target level of 6.8 before adding another 20ml to continue my progression towards a more suitable level. As far as the calcium chloride, it's not something produced at the plant near here but out of the Houston plant over 4hrs away so brs may just be my best alternative to get my calcium level up using thier two part solution unless somebody knows a quick an easy diy.

gulfsurfer101

Calcium is teetering right at 300 still and I didn't have time this morning to test my dkh so I didn't add any baking soda solution. I'll test street i get home. Ben, so your saying I should bake the baking soda to keep from raising my ph now that I it at 8.2. Was a little low as well but now that I have it there I should use soda ash which is basically baking soda with the remaining water steamed out.

jedimasterben

Baked baking soda has a very high pH and will have the same effect on the tank. Normal, unbaked baking soda has CO2 trapped in it and will raise pH negligibly.

If you don't know where your magnesium is at, dosing anything will probably lead nowhere, as it will precipitate out of solution.

jedimasterben

I think I might actually have one extra now that I think about it. I'll try and look tonight and see if it's in my cabinet or if I'm making that up lol.

gulfsurfer101

I went to several shops here to find one with no luck but I did come across reef advantage calcium by seachem. Basically calcium chloride with magnesium and a small amount of strontium. I was able to get my calcium up to 360 by slow drip. I know that it's really high very fast but I've broken the dosing up by a couple hours and things are looking good. I've left my lighting schedule up a bit longer to monitor everything and to test all parameters I'm able to. I live really close to a shop that charges a dollar per test. I'll stop in tomorrow to see if they offer magnesium testing. If it's low as well, I'll use the reef calculator to bring it up 25ppm a day till I'm on the level. These are the tests I have on hand and I plan to get that mag test but it's just not offered locally I'll have to order it online.

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140426_170637_zps745kdu0z.jpg.html'>20140426_170637_zps745kdu0z.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Ok getting things back on track. Came home today and tested alk at 8dkh and calcium is at 360. I'm going to raise the calcium up 20ppm and let things settle and shoot for another 20ppm in the morning. Since my alk is where I want it,I'll stop dosing sodium carbonate and see how much is actually depleted by this time tomorrow.

gulfsurfer101

Bamm, got things looking real good again. My calcium is now sitting at 450 which is a little higher than my target goal I'll take it. My dkh is 9 which is spot on target. I'm guessing my mag to be between 1300 and 130050 I'll know for certain when I get home tonight. Now to see what rate my values will decrease to get a dosing regime in order.

jedimasterben

Sweet. Yeah, just leave it for a few days and test and then redose to get it back where you want it, then repeat that to verify and you've got it down, then just divide the amount by the number of days between your stopping dosing and testing, and you're good to go!

gulfsurfer101

Muchos garcias JMB! I'll buy you a lap dance from any skeezer of your liking next time I'm that way in the treasure coast homie! You have schooled me beyond the ways of an old fool.

gulfsurfer101

So I changed the name of the thread for anybody interested in looking to start researching on cheap alternative solutions to raising calcium levels as there is a lot of good information posted here by Ben in regards to steps procedures and precautions taken in doing so. I also found this cheap product that many claim to have been using successfully for years now on other forums. You can find this stuff on your local Wal-Mart shelves where they keep the pool supplies and it can be had for around 7bucks for a 4lb bottle. There have been some debates and others have researched it thoroughly as I'm posting an email of all the ingredients you will find inside a bottle. Looks like I found my source of calcium for months to come.

http://s1309.photobucket.com/user/gulfsurfer101/media/20140501_223039_zps7trqzyad.jpg.html'>20140501_223039_zps7trqzyad.jpg

PRODUCT NAME: HTH® CALCIUM PLUS

SECTION 1 PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION

REVISION DATE:03-21-2000SUPERCEDES:03-30-1999

MSDS NO:00014-0014 - 30950

MANUFACTURER: Arch Chemicals, Inc. 501 Merritt 7 PO Box 5204 Norwalk, CT 06856-5204

SYNONYMS: Calcium Plus, Calcium Adjuster, Hardness Adjuster, Calcium

Chloride

CHEMICAL FAMILY: Chloride salt

FORMULA: Not Applicable/Mixture

DESCRIPTION: Chemical used to increase the hardness of swimming pool

and spa water.

OSHA HAZARD CLASSIFICATION: Eye and skin hazard; irritant

SECTION 2 COMPONENT DATA

PRODUCT COMPOSITION

CAS or CHEMICAL NAME: Calcium chloride

CAS NUMBER: 10043-52-4

PERCENTAGE RANGE: 75-80%

HAZARDOUS PER 29 CFR 1910.1200: Yes

EXPOSURE STANDARDS: None Established

CAS or CHEMICAL NAME: Sodium chloride

CAS NUMBER: 7647-14-5

PERCENTAGE RANGE: 1-2%

HAZARDOUS PER 29 CFR 1910.1200: No

CAS or CHEMICAL NAME: Potassium chloride

CAS NUMBER: 7447-40-7

PERCENTAGE RANGE: 3-5%

CAS or CHEMICAL NAME: Water

CAS NUMBER: 7732-18-5

PERCENTAGE RANGE: 13-17%

HAZARDOUS PER 29 CFR 1910.1200: No

CAS or CHEMICAL NAME: Strontium chloride

CAS NUMBER: 10476-85-4

PERCENTAGE RANGE: 1-5%

EXPOSURE STANDARDS: None Established i would say this product is safe to use

Few years ago I got a 5 gal. bucket of Prestone Driveway Heat (ice melt/ driveway salt.... living in MI has one perk I guess lol) I have used it on my sidewalk and my tanks for 2-3.... maybe 4 years now and its still half full...... 5 gallon bucket $17. I found it was an "acceptable form" from http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#4. Not sure if its still safe (its been a while so they may have changed ingredients) but it has worked for me over the years.

gulfsurfer101
Few years ago I got a 5 gal. bucket of Prestone Driveway Heat (ice melt/ driveway salt.... living in MI has one perk I guess lol) I have used it on my sidewalk and my tanks for 2-3.... maybe 4 years now and its still half full...... 5 gallon bucket $17. I found it was an "acceptable form" from http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#4.'>http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#4. Not sure if its still safe (its been a while so they may have changed ingredients) but it has worked for me over the years.

I've also read that ice salt is basically the same thing, calcium hydroxide, but here in south Texas we have many many more pools than we do frozen sidewalks, lol.

• 11 months later...
gulfsurfer101

I've been using this stuff as my sole source of calcium and it's been holding true. It's really cheap for a whole lot of product. This bottle had really lasted me a very long time. I'll probably just grab another one this fall once they go on clearance to hold me over the next year.

Archived