Pod Your Reef

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! My aperture is at f4.0, thats what it was on automatically, so I just left it alone. Should I change it? (higher the f number?)

try f7.1 but then ur shutter gonna drop and result in blurry pics =(. it's give or take.

Sub'd. That's a great looking tank. I have the Current Orbit Marine over my 20 long and I'm still figuring out what kind of corals I can put in my tank. That plate coral looks great. Might have to get me one of those.... I was wondering about your controller and what you have it connected to.

Your tank's awesome! :) I wish I could get my rics and zoas to color up like yours

Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words :) I feed my tank like crazy! I feed the LPS and rics mysid once or twice a week and I feed phycopure to all the zoo's and other softies.

try f7.1 but then ur shutter gonna drop and result in blurry pics =(. it's give or take.

I'll give it a shot, thanks. So basically the higher the aperture goes up the less it will focus?

Sub'd. That's a great looking tank. I have the Current Orbit Marine over my 20 long and I'm still figuring out what kind of corals I can put in my tank. That plate coral looks great. Might have to get me one of those.... I was wondering about your controller and what you have it connected to.

Thank you! I'm glad you like my tank, means a lot! The current usa fixture is underrated in my opinion. I've got softies, LPS and SPS under it and they are all doing fine. I have the Neptune Apex Jr. and right now all I have hooked up to it is my heater and a cooling fan as the only probe I have right now is the temperature probe. I've had some problematic temperature fluctuations previously so it really helps keep things stable.

Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words :) I feed my tank like crazy! I feed the LPS and rics mysid once or twice a week and I feed phycopure to all the zoo's and other softies.

I don't feed very often since I'm currently fishless. That, or something's up with my light.

My zoas, especially the brighter ones, either grow super slowly, or pop out 2 or 3 babies within the first two months and never grow any others. Anyways, I'll be following along :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't feed very often since I'm currently fishless. That, or something's up with my light.

My zoas, especially the brighter ones, either grow super slowly, or pop out 2 or 3 babies within the first two months and never grow any others. Anyways, I'll be following along :)

My zoas do the same thing. Some that are supposedly "slow growers" grow really fast and the ones that are deemed as "fast growers" haven't popped out another head yet. I think its always different from tank to tank lol.

Anyway, I have practicing with my camera but still haven't nailed how to take a good picture lol

heres is a shot of my halloween hermit (ignore the bleached green ricordea)

16426662791_558643a4c8_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is doing well in the tank. The one big problem I'm having right now is that there is a GHA and bryopsis that is starting to take over. What is the best way to get rid of this stuff? Its all over the rocks and back glass.

Everything is doing well in the tank. The one big problem I'm having right now is that there is a GHA and bryopsis that is starting to take over. What is the best way to get rid of this stuff? Its all over the rocks and back glass.

I've battled so many algae's in my tank.. it's probably one of the hardest parts of this hobby. (I'd honestly rank it 2nd, with fish diseases being 1st.)

I had really good luck with my zebra / blue legged/ red tipped hermit crabs eating GHA. They pretty much cleaned it up overnight. I returned 2x my zebra hermits couple weeks ago if you recall, and I've got some GHA coming back.

Bryopsis - I think they will eat this too. I believe I may have had some mixed in with the GHA.

Clean it off the glass as best you can though. Those guys don't seem to venture up the glass for food, rather stay on the rocks munching away.

My emerald crab also seemed to constantly be picking at rocks. Not sure if he ate the stuff (as I know he loved mysis) - but he would pick at it that's forsure!

GHA..pfft! You're golden!! :D:D Bubble Algae, that's the sh*t you wanna watch out for!!! :lol:(I've got some coming back, but now since I only have 1 rock in my tank it has nowhere to go it just goes on the glass LOL gonna take a razor blade to it soon and then siphon every last one out..)

Cencalfishguy56

Wow just covered this entire thread in 2 hours! Lol your tank is incredible! I had a HUGE GHA problem a couple weeks ago manually removed rocks scrubbed them outside the tank removed some sand tried emeralds but they did absolutely nothing! lol finally it's under control with my phosphates down but how's the sixline doing? My LFS owes me a clown still but I'm always finding myself staring at the sixlines lol

I have GHA too. It's almost gone now. I took the with it out and put it in a bucket then used a mixture if 1 parts 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (most common in store healthcare aisle)and 3 parts water on a dropper. I soaked it by dropping directly on the GHA and let it set about 4-5 minutes, then rinsed with tank water from a water change. Added the rock back to the tank and a couple days later it's almost all gone. As a preventive I added a CPR Nano tumbler with bioplastics. I'm also using AlgaeFix which was doing the job, just not as fast as I would like. The rock in question was the only place it was growing. Unfortunately for me it's the largest rock in the tank at about 10lbs. Not real big, but I only have about 1 inch front and back to pull it out from without scratching the glass.

It's interesting.. I've never had one algae problem since starting the hobby. I do 2 gallon water changes on my 16 gallon tank every Sunday with RO water and feed plenty both corals and fish through the week. Lights run for around 10-11 hours each day too. I just wonder what could be the cause of some people constantly battling stuff like GHA.

Most actually battle algae at one time or another. I use RO/DI and change 3 gallons per week in my 17 gallon and feed once or twice per week. I'm certain my GHA came on the rock I purchased from the LFS.

Cencalfishguy56

+1 on it coming on the rock it was on my live rock I think that the spores somehow survived being dried out and when given the correct conditions hence my tank water as I abused it it began to grow this is from my dry rock of course because my live rock has none just my dry rock that I used

Sorry I said that wrong lol

Hey guys, having been doing updates much as I 'm not super thrilled with the current state of my reef /: I am still battling algae and its kicking my butt. Its no bubble algae but it is still a PITA! The GHA seems to have turned brown which tells me that it has died. The problem with that is that nothing will eat the dead algae. Not sure what to do now, idk how I would scrub it off as I have corals all over the rocks and scrubbing would be pretty difficult without causing damage. My whole tank really could use a good cleaning. Here are my plans, please tell me if you think it is a good idea/bad idea, any advice or really any info you would like to share I would appreciate.

I plan to do this on a day I have off from school and work and volunteering so I have as much time as necessary. I will get a two big buckets and two small containers with lids. I will fill the buckets halfway with water from the tank and put my algae/coral covered LR in them. I will use the small containers with lids for the livestock. One with the pistol shrimp and the other with my six line wrasse, hermits and snails. Once the tank is empty of all living things I will take out all media and equipment (koralia 240, stock return pump, DIY media rack, cobalt heater) and scrub all of them very good. I will probably take apart the koralia so if anyone knows of directions on how to do this I would appreciate it. I tried to take it apart a few months ago and didn't have much luck, so maybe I am missing something? Once the tank only has a small amount of water in it and the sand I will mix up the sand and get it very clean and suck out all the detritus. I will then scrub the glass and inside the overflow chamber. After all the cleaning is done I will put new cultured water from my LFS into the tank. My main obstacle right now is figuring out the best way to clean my LR without causing too much stress/harm to my corals. But after the LR is clean everything will go back into the tank as usual.

*I also found some red bubble algae in my tank? I took the frag out that it was on and scraped it all of and then did a dip for precaution and then put the frag back in the tank. Is there such thing as red bubble algae? I had never seen it before.

I've battled so many algae's in my tank.. it's probably one of the hardest parts of this hobby. (I'd honestly rank it 2nd, with fish diseases being 1st.)

I had really good luck with my zebra / blue legged/ red tipped hermit crabs eating GHA. They pretty much cleaned it up overnight. I returned 2x my zebra hermits couple weeks ago if you recall, and I've got some GHA coming back.

Bryopsis - I think they will eat this too. I believe I may have had some mixed in with the GHA.

Clean it off the glass as best you can though. Those guys don't seem to venture up the glass for food, rather stay on the rocks munching away.

My emerald crab also seemed to constantly be picking at rocks. Not sure if he ate the stuff (as I know he loved mysis) - but he would pick at it that's forsure!

GHA..pfft! You're golden!! :D:D Bubble Algae, that's the sh*t you wanna watch out for!!! :lol:(I've got some coming back, but now since I only have 1 rock in my tank it has nowhere to go it just goes on the glass LOL gonna take a razor blade to it soon and then siphon every last one out..)

Love your tank every-time I come here for inspiration.. Gonna get back into this B) BRB going to LFS haha

It's too beautiful :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Whats' going on with the Neptune did you set it up yet!?!?

I didn't get the hermits as you suggested as I really only want on in my tank which is my halloween hermit. I'm afraid with it climbing all over my corals it might rip them with its fairly sharp little feet. The more crabs, the more likely that will happen lol. I did however get some snails that were supposed to be pretty good. They are mexican turbo snails. Pretty cool little guys but weren't able to fully clean up the mess. The GHA is now brown so I think it died off. Also thanks for the kind words kijho coming from you it means a ton. The reason I started a reef tank is because I was inspired by your tank after reading through your thread a while back. :) EDIT: Also, yes! my neptune is set up and has been for a while! It works fantastic! keeps my temperature within in 1 degree at all times. I will have to post some pictures of it soon

Wow just covered this entire thread in 2 hours! Lol your tank is incredible! I had a HUGE GHA problem a couple weeks ago manually removed rocks scrubbed them outside the tank removed some sand tried emeralds but they did absolutely nothing! lol finally it's under control with my phosphates down but how's the sixline doing? My LFS owes me a clown still but I'm always finding myself staring at the sixlines lol

+1 on it coming on the rock it was on my live rock I think that the spores somehow survived being dried out and when given the correct conditions hence my tank water as I abused it it began to grow this is from my dry rock of course because my live rock has none just my dry rock that I used
Sorry I said that wrong lol

Thanks for taking the time to read through my thread man! I appreciate it! I think I will have to do the same, take the rocks out and scrub 'em. Was trying to avoid doing this as I didn't want to destroy my shrimps burrow but I don't think I have a choice anymore. Also the six line is doing awesome! He is super active and has a lot of character. Love the little dude! Just make sure you see your LFS feed him pellets (or whatever you feed) as some six lines won't eat pellets. Mine does luckily. Eats like a champ haha

I have GHA too. It's almost gone now. I took the with it out and put it in a bucket then used a mixture if 1 parts 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (most common in store healthcare aisle)and 3 parts water on a dropper. I soaked it by dropping directly on the GHA and let it set about 4-5 minutes, then rinsed with tank water from a water change. Added the rock back to the tank and a couple days later it's almost all gone. As a preventive I added a CPR Nano tumbler with bioplastics. I'm also using AlgaeFix which was doing the job, just not as fast as I would like. The rock in question was the only place it was growing. Unfortunately for me it's the largest rock in the tank at about 10lbs. Not real big, but I only have about 1 inch front and back to pull it out from without scratching the glass.

Most actually battle algae at one time or another. I use RO/DI and change 3 gallons per week in my 17 gallon and feed once or twice per week. I'm certain my GHA came on the rock I purchased from the LFS.

Thank man. Do you think I should do a H2O2 dip on my rocks even though it is already basically dead algae? I think I will be taking my rocks out and attempting to get rid of this crap lol. I too use RO/DI water from my LFS and was hoping that it would prevent this from ever happening. Oh well, not sure the cause but will get rid of it hopefully soon.

It's interesting.. I've never had one algae problem since starting the hobby. I do 2 gallon water changes on my 16 gallon tank every Sunday with RO water and feed plenty both corals and fish through the week. Lights run for around 10-11 hours each day too. I just wonder what could be the cause of some people constantly battling stuff like GHA.

Lucky you man! I'm jealous! I do a WC every 1-2 weeks sometimes closer to 3 but I never wait too long on it.

Good stuff

Thank man!

Cencalfishguy56

Might a small toothbrush help scrub the rocks where you can? If it's dead I would hope it wouldn't be stuck to the rocks...?

That's how I scrub my rock, with a toothbrush now all I have is very tiny algae between spots I missed if that works great

Might a small toothbrush help scrub the rocks where you can? If it's dead I would hope it wouldn't be stuck to the rocks...?

That's how I scrub my rock, with a toothbrush now all I have is very tiny algae between spots I missed if that works great

I guess these are both options. My issue is how close together my corals are. Im worried of hurting them. I guess its worth a shot though. Thanks :)

Also, I cannot seem to find a minijet 606 anywhere! Does anyone know where I can find you without paying $80 to some guy on eBay? Or what would work the same and that would fit in the return chamber of my spec? Thanks

Cencalfishguy56

I guess these are both options. My issue is how close together my corals are. Im worried of hurting them. I guess its worth a shot though. Thanks :)

Also, I cannot seem to find a minijet 606 anywhere! Does anyone know where I can find you without paying $80 to some guy on eBay? Or what would work the same and that would fit in the return chamber of my spec? Thanks

You could see if you could find a fine toothbrush for in between?

Hey guys,

good news and bad news....

The good news is that I just did a big cleaning and water change and got alot of the algae out of my tank.

The (very) bad news is that in the process of cleaning and WC Water got spilled onto my apex jr. unit and there is water inside. I currently have the unit open with a small desk fan blowing on it and will leave it there for the next 24 hrs or so. I also emailed neptune to see if there was any sort of replacement option. Does anyone know how Neptune's customer service is on replacing broken units? I am really bummed out and hope that I didn't just lose an awesome and expensive piece of equipment to a little bit of water. :unsure::(

I'm sorry to hear about the accident.

I actually fried the SL1 module on my RKL around Christmas time when my tank cracked. I hope Neptune might be able to help, if not you might be able to find a used head unit around for a decent price.

Hey guys, little update on the apex. I put it back together and it runs the problem is that when I touch the metal (screws) on the unit it gives off a small electric charge, like a very small shock that I can feel when I touch it. Why is it doing this? Is there a way to fix it? Is it going to hurt the tank?

Archived