SaltCritters.com

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

You can put your hands in the tank, but make sure you don't have any lotion or soap from a recent hand-washing on them, as this can add unwanted chemiicals to the water.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those params look good. Now, I'm not sure if you've cycled yet or not. One of those rocks you have is certainly live and has life on it. The others are just dry rock.

That rock might not give you a strong ammonia spike. I'd suggest waiting a few more days and monitoring the levels.

If you still see nothing, I'd add a few tiny frozen mysis shrimp and wait a day or two. See if you get a huge spike or not. If you get a huge spike - not cycled. (You can also use a table shrimp from the grocery store, just cut a small piece) - we just need decay/ death haha..

You can put your hands in the tank, but make sure you don't have any lotion or soap from a recent hand-washing on them, as this can add unwanted chemiicals to the water.

Thanks, I just washed them off with a bit of water, seems fine.

The Spec V are making a come back.

Haha yea they are great little tanks!

Those params look good. Now, I'm not sure if you've cycled yet or not. One of those rocks you have is certainly live and has life on it. The others are just dry rock.

That rock might not give you a strong ammonia spike. I'd suggest waiting a few more days and monitoring the levels.

If you still see nothing, I'd add a few tiny frozen mysis shrimp and wait a day or two. See if you get a huge spike or not. If you get a huge spike - not cycled. (You can also use a table shrimp from the grocery store, just cut a small piece) - we just need decay/ death haha..

Thanks Kijho, Thats what I was thinking too. I plan to keep testing everyday until I see some changes and get through the cycle.

Did the tiniest bit of aqua scape rearranging. I added two more tiny little dry rocks to form a cave.

FTS 5/4/14

14106812812_7b00376a55_z.jpg

I added this small dry rock on top to add some more height:

14110268734_3c5003939e_z.jpg

And this small dry rock behind to form a little cave:

14086751566_949b6e0d8e_z.jpg

Mini "Cave":

13923269248_d0f4d194ec_z.jpg

13923219187_ef5bcc9b51_z.jpg

14106635881_6951ae0b55_z.jpg

I definitely think I need some sort of epoxy or glue for this as it is not super sturdy. What do you guys recommend? Also do I have to take the rocks out of the water to epoxy or glue it or can I leave the rocks in the water to do so? Thanks :D

I also think I may take that small white dry rock in the corner on the sand bed out to give more room on the sand bed. What do you guys think?

NanoClown

Go ahead and go for a 2 part epoxy with super glue gel as well. The combination has held up very strong and shown great results for me. I usually just knead the epoxy and form it between the rocks I want to glue together. Then I put a generous dab of super glue gel to both rocks and sandwich the epoxy between it. I usually give it a good 5-10 minutes to cure/dry up before I put it back into my tank.

I really love your rockwork btw. You could probably attach the extra rock to the smaller island to add a little more height to it if you wish. Totally up to you though.

Is it okay to put your hands in the tank? I got a bit more dry rock and I'd like to redo my aquascape or add to it. Will it be okay to put my hands in there to do it? Also I may pick up some putty/epoxy stuff to secure the rocks a bit more. Can I use this stuff in the water or do I have to take the rocks out to epoxy it? Thanks guys :)

just wash you hands all the way to your elbow lol technically wash your hole arm haha... i did not glue any of the rock just in case later on i might want to add another type of live rock or corals that come attach to rocks

post-84328-0-19567200-1399001113_thumb.jpg

Go ahead and go for a 2 part epoxy with super glue gel as well. The combination has held up very strong and shown great results for me. I usually just knead the epoxy and form it between the rocks I want to glue together. Then I put a generous dab of super glue gel to both rocks and sandwich the epoxy between it. I usually give it a good 5-10 minutes to cure/dry up before I put it back into my tank.

I really love your rockwork btw. You could probably attach the extra rock to the smaller island to add a little more height to it if you wish. Totally up to you though.

Thanks mate, do you wait any amount of time after forming the epoxy before adding the super glue, or just do it right away? And thanks! I didn't like it at first but after the slight rearrangement I like it a lot better haha. Thats a good idea, I may play with it a bit more tomorrow and see if I can't get that small one on top of my piece of live rock. :happy: EDIT: also, do I just use normal super glue like you would find at like home depot or lowes? Or does it need to be a reef brand? Same with epoxy, should I be using an epoxy made for reef use?

just wash you hands all the way to your elbow lol technically wash your hole arm haha... i did not glue any of the rock just in case later on i might want to add another type of live rock or corals that come attach to rocks

I like your scape a lot! Especially the rock on the far left, lots of cool crevices. I wasn't planning on using any sort of glue or epoxy but my rocks are pretty loose especially the small one on top and I'm worried that after I add fish, especially since I'm planning on adding a clown and some sort of goby, the rocks will come down. I'd rather be safe than sorry I guess :rolleyes:

NanoClown

Last time I glued my rocks together I just did it quickly to make sure my rocks remained moist. I just kneaded as much epoxy as needed to secure a couple pieces together and applied super glue as needed. Usually the gel will set in a minute or so, it's ok if the epoxy is not fully set/dry before putting the rock back into your tank, as long as you don't mess with it it will harden and become stiff underwater.

Loctite Super Glue Gel is my personal favorite, and it has been proven to be reef safe.

I recently tried out Gorilla Super Glue (its rather gel like) and I haven't found any ill effects on my tank recently. I'd also call that reef safe as well.

Most super glues are reef safe in general, I would avoid cheap/imitation brand if possible just to be sure

About to do today's water tests, hoping the ammonia has gone up so I know this thing is cycling! :happy:

Last time I glued my rocks together I just did it quickly to make sure my rocks remained moist. I just kneaded as much epoxy as needed to secure a couple pieces together and applied super glue as needed. Usually the gel will set in a minute or so, it's ok if the epoxy is not fully set/dry before putting the rock back into your tank, as long as you don't mess with it it will harden and become stiff underwater.

Loctite Super Glue Gel is my personal favorite, and it has been proven to be reef safe.

I recently tried out Gorilla Super Glue (its rather gel like) and I haven't found any ill effects on my tank recently. I'd also call that reef safe as well.

Most super glues are reef safe in general, I would avoid cheap/imitation brand if possible just to be sure

Thanks for your help nanoclown! I plan to pick up some stuff today and get these rocks stabilized! lol I'll post some pics if I do anymore rearranging.

I ####ing love this hobby.

Haha you said it Tucc!

Here are today's parameters:

13928947400_6099f2060b_z.jpg

14112293911_972bfda125_z.jpg

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

Salinity: 1.021 (It seems to have gone even lower? I haven't added any water, fresh or salt...)

It still seems like either my tank doesn't have enough to waste to spike ammonia and cycle or its already cycled... is that even possible? Should I throw a piece of shrimp in there today or give it a few more days and see if it spikes ammonia on its own?

I like the new scape setup dude, any fish you get will love those little caves and crevices!

Thanks! I like it too, i was trying to provide as many caves as possible haha

That ammonia is a good sign of waste. Perhaps not enough however to jump start it. I'd probably add some shrimp and just see where it goes. It's all about patience and trying things out I think! I'd just toss a small shrimp (mysis food, OR if you want a table shrimp (only part of it). See what happens!

Once you put something in that dies it really kicks it into gear. My cycle may not have even been fully over when I put my Goby because I got a spike when I put him in. Thankfully is only lasted very short period of time (some hours).

Also - that salt is SUPER low! You can see on the left side it shows where it should be in the black zone.

Are you mixing your own water?

That ammonia is a good sign of waste. Perhaps not enough however to jump start it. I'd probably add some shrimp and just see where it goes. It's all about patience and trying things out I think! I'd just toss a small shrimp (mysis food, OR if you want a table shrimp (only part of it). See what happens!

Once you put something in that dies it really kicks it into gear. My cycle may not have even been fully over when I put my Goby because I got a spike when I put him in. Thankfully is only lasted very short period of time (some hours).

Also - that salt is SUPER low! You can see on the left side it shows where it should be in the black zone.

Are you mixing your own water?

Yeah I think I'll toss in a shrimp today and see where it goes with that.

I know the salt is low, not sure why it is dropping.. I bought pre-mixed saltwater, and have yet to add either fresh water or saltwater so I'm not sure why it has dropped from 1.022 (which is still way to low) to 1.021 since yesterday. I don't have any salt on hand, what would you recommend doing to raise it, or should I wait until evaporation rises the salinity since I currently have no fish in the tank?

Yeah I think I'll toss in a shrimp today and see where it goes with that.

I know the salt is low, not sure why it is dropping.. I bought pre-mixed saltwater, and have yet to add either fresh water or saltwater so I'm not sure why it has dropped from 1.022 (which is still way to low) to 1.021 since yesterday. I don't have any salt on hand, what would you recommend doing to raise it, or should I wait until evaporation rises the salinity since I currently have no fish in the tank?

I suspect it could just be your hydrometer if you're buying pre-mixed water.

Everyone told me the $20 hydrometers weren't very accurate, but I didn't really listen. For the first week it showed 1.025 - 1.026.

After that it began acting up. It would be at 1.020 one day, then 1.030 next day. Some days it was maxed out and hitting the top part of the plastic inside the casing.

I invested in a refractometer. I got an ATC for $50. Works flawless and I haven't seen anything less than 1.026 - 1.027.

My suggestion would be: Go and buy a refractometer locally and test it out. You can always return it. Just take gentle care of it and clean it off very well after use. It's super easy to use. If it ends up showing you're at 1.026, then you know it was the hydrometer you were using. Then you should keep it because you'll realize how accurate it is hhaha..

OR, you could find one cheaper online but maybe have to wait for shipping.

Yeah I guess I should invest in a refractometer. I may have to order one and try to find it cheaper as I'm tight on cash at the moment lol. For putting the shrimp in, should I shut off the filtration in the tank? I've had it on because I was worried about the water losing all oxygen. Should I leave the pump on and just take out the stock sponge with the filter media in it?

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a decent affordable (in the 25 - 30 dollar range) refractometer?

Yeah I guess I should invest in a refractometer. I may have to order one and try to find it cheaper as I'm tight on cash at the moment lol. For putting the shrimp in, should I shut off the filtration in the tank? I've had it on because I was worried about the water losing all oxygen. Should I leave the pump on and just take out the stock sponge with the filter media in it?

EDIT: Can anyone recommend a decent affordable (in the 25 - 30 dollar range) refractometer?

I'd leave all the filters on and such. Not sure if it makes a difference.. I just left everything in honestly.

I had the old stock filter media though. Changed for purigen and chemipure elite after that a few weeks later.

I used frozen mysis shrimp, which is what I feed my Goby & Shrimp.

Here's one for $29, looks identical to mine: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Temperature-Compensation-Salinity-Refractometer/dp/B00AZ1SMC2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399317611&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+refractometer

I'd leave all the filters on and such. Not sure if it makes a difference.. I just left everything in honestly.

I had the old stock filter media though. Changed for purigen and chemipure elite after that a few weeks later.

I used frozen mysis shrimp, which is what I feed my Goby & Shrimp.

Here's one for $29, looks identical to mine: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Temperature-Compensation-Salinity-Refractometer/dp/B00AZ1SMC2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399317611&sr=8-3&keywords=aquarium+refractometer

Thanks for your help Kijho! I'd checked out that refractometer, I may order it tonight or tomorrow, the reviews seem pretty good on it. :)

Anybody can chime in if I'm wrong but you shouldn't be running any chemical filtration till the cycle is done.If you want to do distilled water and mix your own salt instead of the premixed stuff you can, that's what I do. But you would need to buy a tds meter, which is like 20 bucks. It also takes a bit of a scavenger hunt. I went to 2 walmarts and 3 grocery stores before I found 0 tds water. Buy one jug, take it to the car, test it, ect. Kroger was the winner by the way lol.

Anybody can chime in if I'm wrong but you shouldn't be running any chemical filtration till the cycle is done.If you want to do distilled water and mix your own salt instead of the premixed stuff you can, that's what I do. But you would need to buy a tds meter, which is like 20 bucks. It also takes a bit of a scavenger hunt. I went to 2 walmarts and 3 grocery stores before I found 0 tds water. Buy one jug, take it to the car, test it, ect. Kroger was the winner by the way lol.

I ran Chemi-Pure Elite throughout my whole cycle and I'd put a million dollars that I had completed it, including my large ammonia spike, in about 4 days time. I added my CUC on day 5/6. My rock was pretty clean. I'm battling algae, but nothing that is hazardous such as Bryopsis, but my CUC is getting to the bottom of it. I could probably use a WC maybe, but my nitrates are still undetectable, and my algae is dying and/or getting eaten. I've only done one WC on day 5, and now I'm on day 18.

You never know what works and what doesn't. In my opinion, trying to re-create a reef on such a small scale is insane, and it's impossible to know what to expect. What I'm trying to say is everyone's tank and experience with their tank is unique, and mine is proof. Others on here are proof. Without the others, I wouldn't even be here today.

We are all defying nature. My best advice is to research, and not try to overthink things when you're reading them, because this leads to stress. Just relax. If you upgrade the return pump to a MiniJet 606; and use Filter Floss, Chemi-Pure, and Purigen; then your Spec will have enough filtration for a tank > 10 Gallons, just like everyone elses. It's a great tank.

Well said Tucc! Too much stressing makes the hobby more work and worry than fun, and this is supposed to be fun :)

Your tank is looking great my friend! Also love the new signature upgrade ;) may just have to copy you and Kijho and make one for myself eventually haha

Update:

Got a shrimp to spike some ammonia and hopefully get this tank cycled! Although I got some pretty weird looks when I asked for only one shrimp at the grocery store, the good news it they didn't charge me for it, even though it probably would have been like 20 cents anyway haha

13932405400_b8a2fcb18e_z.jpg

13932352177_ac4752c091_z.jpg

FTS: Cinco De Mayo!!!

14115778601_2dc4de5b58_z.jpg

Archived