Top Shelf Aquatics

Cswan's Spec V | Get Rid of the Shrimp?

cswan19

Sorry it took so long to get the pictures. First day of class is tomor, so I've been trying to get everything together.

I got a really good deal on these! The LFS I went to was breaking down some of their tanks in order to remodel, so all corals were 50% off! So I couldn't help but buy some stuff.

I got two new ricordeas.

The first is a rainbow ricordea Florida.

14931396226_bf8ed7a100_z.jpg

The second ricordea is a gold ric

14954052992_d462436a83_z.jpg

I had a bit of trouble getting it glued down as it was sliming like crazy so theres a bit of visible epoxy, but hopefully it will grow over soon.

I also got a really beautiful orange acan! Really love this, it has about 6 heads total but only two are fairly large.

14767717539_b2b6154d68_z.jpg

I also glued my GSP up on the false wall a couple days ago and hoping it will grow over fairly quickly.

14954399225_eec9d111ae_z.jpg

And finally a FTS 8/17/14

14931461196_587ce5fe03_z.jpg

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ninja! I got them both for $7 a piece which is cheaper than I usually get regular colored ricordeas at my normal LFS haha great deal

Omg... stop!!! :'(

SO BEAUTIFUL!! Looks so good Cswan!! I love the orange acan and all of your Ric's ahhhh stop stop!! So so jealous haha

My .. wallet... I ...must... refrain....

Why did I come in here hahaha

I've been so busy sorry haven't been keeping up this past week but really happy to see your progress doing SO well, looks so awesome and motivates me.

I'm leaving for 7 days on vacation now I won't be home so I'm really hoping things are okay in my tank while I'm gone.

I think with my one clownfish gone and my female clown so depressed I think, I'm gonna become focusing on the corals mostly. Wanna cover my rocks in Acans and rics and then maybe I'll think of something for the back wall like you? .. can I copy?! haha :P

Thanks kijho! Hope you have an awesome time on your vacation! I'm sure everything will be fine while you are gone :)

Yeah! you should get something going on the back wall! I think it is a cool idea, I've seen a few other tanks doing the same thing as well. I think it looks pretty neat

Awesome looking tank! I too use the Current Orbit LED and I have my blues set at 40% and whites at 5% and I think thats more than enough lighting for my corals. Ill mention that I don't get any type of algae growth at all.

Your tank looks awesome, I think I'll have to enjoy your ricordias :P

I don't think I'll ever be able to get one. The $40 ones I found out are only for brown ones, any others range from $200 and much more here :(

Thanks for the compliments everyone! :)

Your tank looks awesome, I think I'll have to enjoy your ricordias :P

I don't think I'll ever be able to get one. The $40 ones I found out are only for brown ones, any others range from $200 and much more here :(

Wow! :blink: Thats crazy expensive for a ricordea! Weird how different things can be from place to place.

I picked up a couple new corals today :rolleyes: I have a problem... haha anyway they are settling in so I will have pictures either tonight or tomor after they open up a bit. While I was doing my coral dips I noticed something waving around so I pulled it off to find out it was a very very small brittle starfish! Very cool! I had already been in the dip for about 2 minutes but I pulled it out and put it in another container with some tank water in it. Is it safe to put this guy in my tank? Do you think he will be okay after the dip? He seems alive right now, he's wiggling around a bit. Here is a picture. I placed a penny under the clear container for a size reference.

14961086716_1b10cf77bf_z.jpg

Update: August 22, 2014

Here are the parameters from yesterday:

14977517066_a354eb954d_z.jpg

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Calcium: 375 ppm*

Alkalinity: 7.8 dKH**

Magnesium: 1000 ppm***

Temperature: 76.5* F

Salinity: 1.025

* Dosed 2.5 mL of nano code A, and will continue dosing until at 420 ppm.

** Dosed 2.5 mL of nano code B, and will continue dosing until at 8-9 dKH

*** Very low! Will continue dosing 0.4 mL of Red Sea magnesium until up to at least 1300 ppm

I ended up just throwing the brittle star in the tank as I read that they were fine. I haven't seen him since putting him though ( I figured I wouldn't see him much) as he has been in the rocks.

Here are some pictures of my new corals:

Not sure what these are but they are really beautiful and I got them dirt cheap! They are orange and like a light bluish gray color. You can see the blue more with the actinics on.

14813766260_865b2be02b_z.jpg

14813724629_d541200360_z.jpg

I also picked up some radioactive dragon eyes for really cheap too. These things are super bright. Really like these.

14813896587_28d41662fc_z.jpg

I also got these yesterday. My LFS has a tank of "unidentified" zoas and palys all at $15 a frag since they don't take the time to figure out what the "designer" name is. Sometimes you can find really cool stuff. These were from the unidentified tank. They are a super bright red with a hint of grayish blue although they look more orange in the picture. Does anyone know what these zoas are called? Also, after dipping and getting this frag in my tank I noticed it has two white spots on one of the polyps.. is this zoa pox? If so, any tips of getting rid of it?

15000050112_0846e56205_z.jpg

I also thought I would share an updated picture of my acan as it is fully opened and "fluffy" now haha.

14813723759_cbff7ee98a_z.jpg

Here is a picture of it chowing down on some mysid shrimp.

15000419485_9dba95a3cf_z.jpg

I am also still battling some cyano and this neon green algae (anyone know what it is?) so I was wondering if in addition to more frequent water changes and blowing all the detritus off of the rocks every other day if I could leave lights off for a day or so and hope it brings the algae problem down a bit? What do you guys think? Will it harm my corals?

15000049712_d72bdc89a4_z.jpg

And of course an updated FTS 8/22/14

14813765020_f216cae5b6_z.jpg

All the new coral frags will eventually go over on the small island rock (the zoa paly rock haha) but I like to let them open first before gluing them down. This way I can see which side they look the best on and face that side forward. I was interested in make a very small frag rack that I can put in the tank on the glass for when I get new corals so that I can let them open up before gluing and also keep them away from my shrimp. He likes to rearrange things on the SB haha. Something similar to this:

15000684975_59cb72f87d_s.jpg

But mine would be a bit smaller (maybe 3 - 4 inches). Anyone know of any reef safe, fairly cheap magnets that I can use for this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of posting this week. I've been having a bit of bad luck lately and it just seems like things haven't been going well in life right now <_< and I haven't had a lot of money for coral lately since my car broke down and so I had to pay a lot to get that running again. On the plus side I am in the process of starting a new job so hopefully that means things are turning around! Fingers crossed.

I got a couple of shrooms today on the cheap and the guy even threw in some pretty awesome clove polyps since they only had two heads and he didn't even know that it was in the tank. So that was cool, not sure what kind they are but they look really similar to the hypnotic clove polyps. Waiting for them to open up so I can get a picture of them and then I will post pics of it as well as my new mushroom corals.

Your tank is looking amazing! :)

I know the feel about going through some things and having to put your tank to the side. I was all ready to get my new build wet but i'm still trying to get together the funds to buy the rest of the equipment that I will be needing.

The large variation of color in this tank is mesmerizing. Bravo! Seriously beautiful. Keep up the good work.

I guess Fluval should have advertised the Spec V as a riccordea garden :) All you guys seem to have them. Gotta jump on the bandwagon I suppose...

The large variation of color in this tank is mesmerizing. Bravo! Seriously beautiful. Keep up the good work. I guess Fluval should have advertised the Spec V as a riccordea garden :) All you guys seem to have them. Gotta jump on the bandwagon I suppose...

get some rics and join us cool kids =)

Your tank is looking amazing! :)

I know the feel about going through some things and having to put your tank to the side. I was all ready to get my new build wet but i'm still trying to get together the funds to buy the rest of the equipment that I will be needing.

Yeah, life sometimes has a way of getting in the way haha. I really cannot wait to see your new setup! If its anything like the spec it will completely blow my mind! ha

The large variation of color in this tank is mesmerizing. Bravo! Seriously beautiful. Keep up the good work. I guess Fluval should have advertised the Spec V as a riccordea garden :) All you guys seem to have them. Gotta jump on the bandwagon I suppose...

Thank you Tucc! Long time no see man! I think the rics are a favorite for most because they are colorful, hardy, rather easy to find, and on the cheaper side. Plus there are so many different variations I've seen! Haha you should definatley hop the bandwagon, rics are good stuff :happy:

Looking good Cswan sorry to hear about the poor luck hope things turn around real soon!

Thanks Kij! They seem to be already, if you think positive, positive things will happen! At least thats what I'm aiming for haha

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I haven't been posting much on here as I have been super duper busy. But I have got a few more pieces (including my first SPS) since my last update, I got a new piece today and just put it in the tank. I also did some cleaning as well as putting all the clutter (frags all over the SB) up on the rocks to make my scape look quite a bit better. I will post some updated pictures sometime this weekend when the piece opens up and I can get it up on the rocks so my tank can look clean in the pictures. Also, I have had some trouble with my zoas. One of them has zoa pox so I've been researching that, I will most likely get some Furan-2 today or tomorrow and do a dip, hopefully all goes well. Updates to come :)

Hey guys, I haven't been posting much on here as I have been super duper busy. But I have got a few more pieces (including my first SPS) since my last update, I got a new piece today and just put it in the tank. I also did some cleaning as well as putting all the clutter (frags all over the SB) up on the rocks to make my scape look quite a bit better. I will post some updated pictures sometime this weekend when the piece opens up and I can get it up on the rocks so my tank can look clean in the pictures. Also, I have had some trouble with my zoas. One of them has zoa pox so I've been researching that, I will most likely get some Furan-2 today or tomorrow and do a dip, hopefully all goes well. Updates to come :)

I can't wait! And thanks for the info on your lighting. I'm gonna be ordering one soon! B)

Are you still using the Current USA lighting? How is it working out with your coral? I have on saved on my Wish List on Amazon where it has good reviews, but no long term follow ups. The options are amazing.

I can't wait! And thanks for the info on your lighting. I'm gonna be ordering one soon! B)

Definitely a good choice! and dang I've been slacking with updates.. I just got home from work but maybe I will clean up the tank a little and shoot some photos... haha

Are you still using the Current USA lighting? How is it working out with your coral? I have on saved on my Wish List on Amazon where it has good reviews, but no long term follow ups. The options are amazing.

Yeah I am, and I love it! It packs a good punch for the small footprint and price. I would recommend it for sure. My corals seem to love it and I really enjoy the many features it has as well as its full customization. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I can give you any info you may be looking for.

Your ricordea are so pretty! I have 5 ricordea (two different colors) in my tank, but I want more already!

Thank you :) Ricordea or awesome! fairly cheap and sooo many different colors and varieties and all beautiful. they are addicting haha.

Anyway, I guess I owe you guys an update, let me get to it! haha

Sorry to be a tease guys but.... after doing a tank cleaning and big WC everything is closed and ugly looking. /: Sooo, I promise you guys I will post a big, beautiful update tomor!!

Update: September 27, 2014

Everything is doing awesome with the exception of my pulsing xenia :( I also would like to see more growth and still trying to figure out reasons why growth has slowed down on some corals.

First new addition is a purple and blue spotted shroom. If anyone knows the name for this please share! This thing is crazy beautiful and super duper blue. And not to mention I got it practically free!

15185340548_54b89418d7_z.jpg

I also picked up another green mushroom that has moved itself into this little nook area and seems to be very happy there. Also don't know the name of this one but it was also very cheap. (I have been getting lots of free or really cheap corals lately due to my LFS remodeling and needing to get rid of a few tank fulls of corals)

15185235370_6393786437_z.jpg

Lava lamp mushrooms (underneath the green) are not doing well, they don't really like this spot but I can't pry them off of the rock so there isn't much I can do. I feel bad but would have to tear apart the tank to get the rock out and get it off to move it. I used an insane amount of epoxy when mounting it.... whoops.

Next is my first SPS coral! My LFS fragged a HUGE colony of this birds nest and had hundreds of tiny frags so they were giving them away with any coral purchase. So I got it fo' freeeee! Ive been wanting to get a birds nest for a while but didn't know how it would do in my tank so this is my test run. Seems to be doing awesome so far though :)

15185547047_571272a5d3_z.jpg

Acan is doing well too. Not a lot of growth so far but I haven't been feeding much mysid so that is probably why. I should start spot feeding more regularly.

15368768391_1ce75e5620_z.jpg

Ricordeas are looking beautiful as usual. (that green one though!)

15368765851_94ff2c5c1d_z.jpg

My awesome zoas and palys! I want this whole rock filled with zoas and palys eventually. Slowly but surely.

15368767411_d28613b36b_z.jpg

New Oompa Loompas ;) cheap pickup as well!

15185178619_db570ac892_z.jpg

And check that bright red macro algae out! (not sure what it is so names are helpful if anyone knows) But it is a hitchhiker that has started to grow like maaaad! I don't have a before picture but you can see its littleness in the background of this picture

14876480874_46760f1f47_c.jpg

Also here is my xenia. It has been closed like this for a week or so.. not sure why. I've tried blowing out the detritus and stuff but not sure what is wrong. It hasn't pulsed in a long time either.

15185234280_32fdc4cb42_z.jpg

I also got a free 2 polyp frag of gold hypnotic cloves. They are awesome but I can't really get a good picture. It is growing well and has already grown 3 more polyps for a total of five. Once it fills out it will be awesome.

And I will leave you with some full tank shots! :)

15371920845_490ec33dd7_z.jpg

15348913946_9b783e3179_z.jpg

I will do my best to keep this thread updated a bit better as I was doing when I started up! Sorry for the "hiatus" haha

Archived