Innovative Marine Aquariums

Horsey_Cat

question im upgrading my tank, from the 4 gallon to a 20L with a 10 sump, is there anything i can do to get the organics in there faster so i can put my clam in sooner?

Hi !!! Use all the old sand, rocks and most importantly water. But even still going from 4 gallons to 30 is like doing an 800% water change. get some fish in there asap, and a massive clean up crew and feed them as much as you can, atleast 3 times daily.

tetraodon

Hi !!! Use all the old sand, rocks and most importantly water. But even still going from 4 gallons to 30 is like doing an 800% water change. get some fish in there asap, and a massive clean up crew and feed them as much as you can, atleast 3 times daily.

ok i also am using live sand, bottled bac. and will some cured live rock, plus ill drop in some frozen krill, plus ill be getting some fish as well

• 1 month later...

Yes Squamosa's are second easiest, Deresa's are the easiest, but both of these grow HUGE, and pretty fast under the correct conditions .Croceas are the most difficult and the most common to come down with pinched mantle disease when they are stressed to far. If I was to ever attempt a clam in a pico, I would do a small farmed raised Polynesian maxima from Pacific East Aquaculture. THis would carry your greatest chance for success, IMO.

The good thing about clams is they are not corals. They don't need clean water. My best clam tank carries 1 ppm phosphates and10 ppm nitrates. I never run carbon and there are no corals in this tank. Just clams and fish. The dirtier the better for clamage. You biggest challenge in a pico would be temperature stability and maybe PH swings.

Sorry for necro post. How do you manage nuisance algae in the tank with the phosphates and nitrates?

• 3 weeks later...
Cameron6796

A good clean up crew that's safe for clams is good, and not letting it get out of hand. You can find a balance where any algea growing is removed by CUC

I agree with some of the fellow reefers on here. The whole point of a Pico besides them looking cute and for people who don't have much space is to keep it as simple as possible. Challenging animals like clams and several other nutrient dependent animals should be avoided. Excessive nutrients are horrible in Pico's and can cause things to crash very fast. Or cause horrible algae outbreaks etc.

Cameron6796

I agree but the. There's people who have tanks that are .9 gallons and they just jam it with every sps imaginable and it does great

But that all comes with time dedication and a lot of knowledge

Archived