inTank Media Baskets

Horsey_Cat

What would be the hardest part about keeping a clam in a pico? Assuming there is plenty of calcium in the water for the clam, what would be the issue?

all depends on the clam, i have a small maxima in a 4 gallon total system, other than that, id say providing consistant parameters and good enough lighting, plus nutrients

all depends on the clam, i have a small maxima in a 4 gallon total system, other than that, id say providing consistant parameters and good enough lighting, plus nutrients

Do you plan on keeping the clam in their for its life time? Or do you plan on taking it out in a few months or something.

its been in my tank for 3 months now, my tank is getting upgraded soon, but i dont see why you cant keep a clam till it gets too large if you give it the correct care

its been in my tank for 3 months now, my tank is getting upgraded soon, but i dont see why you cant keep a clam till it gets too large if you give it the correct care

What is the smallest clam? Its crocea right?

I think maximas look nicer though.

Cameron6796

I'd beg to differ or atleast from what I'm told crocea are just more light hungry but Maximas are now very touchy according to zeph and he knows his stuff I'd say maxima or crocea if you have the lighting for it. Maximas with darker blue need more light also.

Also I thought crocea was max 6 inches and my lfs carries big 7" Maximas

May I ask question regarding these two kinds, simple answer yes or no.

Would an Eco Pico Arm Fixture (6 x 12,000k white and 3 x 543nm blue) at full strength be enough for one of these clams if its a small clam?

I'd beg to differ or atleast from what I'm told crocea are just more light hungry but Maximas are now very touchy according to zeph and he knows his stuff I'd say maxima or crocea if you have the lighting for it. Maximas with darker blue need more light also.

Also I thought crocea was max 6 inches and my lfs carries big 7" Maximas,

ive read most maximas is around 6-7 and crocea is right around the same, derasa would be ideal if they didnt mind trading it when it got too large

Would an Eco Pico Arm Fixture (6 x 12,000k white and 3 x 543nm blue) at full strength be enough for one of these clams if its a small clam?

what watt are the leds rated? but just looking at it myself id say no, a par38 would be alot better

ive read most maximas is around 6-7 and crocea is right around the same, derasa would be ideal if they didnt mind trading it when it got too large

what watt are the leds rated? but just looking at it myself id say no, a par38 would be alot better

Would a PAR30 be ok?

nice how deep is the tank? and what optics do you have

Tank is probably somewhere about 12" deep (probably less). I bought the bulb used so I don't know what optics, Im guessing 60.

Why not approach the problem with known factors?

Instead of unknowns.

Clams are a challenge enough with the known quantites.

Also, light for these animals is a matter of intensity. And with light, intensity is very much factored by distance. You can get 400 PAR from just about any light, if you are close enough to it. If you had 3-4 LEDs right up close, underwater, 5mm from the clams tissue, it could be too much light. Theoretically, any POS light is fine for a clam, if it's close enough.

There is a huge clam thread here, with virtually no pebble of clam care unturned. I would research your desired clam's requirements, then duplicate those. No offense, with all due respect, asking if a small strip light designed for freshwater plants or at most xenia in a marine tank, is sufficient to grow clams (an animal known for advanced reefkeeping skills), is ¿¡》《¡♥★☆■●○|<{[][|~^₩¥%÷+%_£¥¥)&\/.

Read anything you see from Zeph, he's the most knowledgable and experienced clam keeper I know of, on any reefing board. You can consider him Clam God, and what he writes is Clam Gospel.

Cameron6796

Definitly zephs taught me and others a lot. I agree with some above comments, pick a clam and study it's every need, either way your tank will need to mature a few months first even then they are tricky. Deresas are hardiest clams and are harder to kill but not bullet proof, they also get huge 24" max size i believe so you will need to remove and sell once to big or upgrade. Squamosas are similar but can have better colours. Maximas used to be easier to keep then crocea but that's since shifted, idk y. Crocea are smallest ( tho debatable) and they grow super slow, they like being on rocks and require a lot of light

Just to clarify...

Picos are advanced level reefing just by itself. A pico reefer should have several successful larger reef tanks under their belt before attempting a pico. And they are best for people with a certain temperment or with certain traits, meticulous, obsessive or compulsive, not affected by routine regimented repetition of boring tasks.

Clams are for the advanced and experienced reef hobbyist as well.

A person considering both should be answering care questions, not asking them.

Otherwise, buy some potatoes, butter, cream, onions, and some Boudin sourdough when you buy your clam. Because you might as well make clam chowder with that soon to be dead clam.

Cameron6796

This is a great point, of course it's okay to learn for the future but I don't think a clam would be a good idea at this time

Do you plan on keeping the clam in their for its life time? Or do you plan on taking it out in a few months or something.

Seems fair enough to me, that's the idea I'm using with my Picasso Trigger and Hippo tang in my 5G.

(JOKING)

In all seriousness, personally I'd hold off on the clam unless I already had it in a larger tank. I feel like the lower volume might be hard to keep a clam in due to the rapidity of changes in it.

Horsey_Cat

If I were to try a clam, is a Squamosa Crocea Hybrid Clam a good choice or just a maxima? I think I remember reading that squamosa are one of the easier clams to keep, and crocea stay on the small side. Im just curious

If I were to try a clam, is a Squamosa Crocea Hybrid Clam a good choice or just a maxima? I think I remember reading that squamosa are one of the easier clams to keep, and crocea stay on the small side. Im just curious

Yes Squamosa's are second easiest, Deresa's are the easiest, but both of these grow HUGE, and pretty fast under the correct conditions .Croceas are the most difficult and the most common to come down with pinched mantle disease when they are stressed to far. If I was to ever attempt a clam in a pico, I would do a small farmed raised Polynesian maxima from Pacific East Aquaculture. THis would carry your greatest chance for success, IMO.

The good thing about clams is they are not corals. They don't need clean water. My best clam tank carries 1 ppm phosphates and10 ppm nitrates. I never run carbon and there are no corals in this tank. Just clams and fish. The dirtier the better for clamage. You biggest challenge in a pico would be temperature stability and maybe PH swings.

Horsey_Cat

Yes Squamosa's are second easiest, Deresa's are the easiest, but both of these grow HUGE, and pretty fast under the correct conditions .Croceas are the most difficult and the most common to come down with pinched mantle disease when they are stressed to far. If I was to ever attempt a clam in a pico, I would do a small farmed raised Polynesian maxima from Pacific East Aquaculture. THis would carry your greatest chance for success, IMO.

The good thing about clams is they are not corals. They don't need clean water. My best clam tank carries 1 ppm phosphates and10 ppm nitrates. I never run carbon and there are no corals in this tank. Just clams and fish. The dirtier the better for clamage. You biggest challenge in a pico would be temperature stability and maybe PH swings.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking I would grab one of divers den if I did, is this not a good option?

As for the water, do they thrive in dirty water? Is clean water alright too?

As for temperature, that is not much of a problem at all. The tank almost always stays right at 78 degrees.

Thanks for the help. I was thinking I would grab one of divers den if I did, is this not a good option?

As for the water, do they thrive in dirty water? Is clean water alright too?

As for temperature, that is not much of a problem at all. The tank almost always stays right at 78 degrees.

The water can definitely be to clean for clams. If you like DD clams don't get an ORA. The Micronesian farmed clams are sooooo much healthier.

Clams in a new tank wont work. I can promise you this. You need to let some organics build up for a few months at least.

tetraodon

The water can definitely be to clean for clams. If you like DD clams don't get an ORA. The Micronesian farmed clams are sooooo much healthier.

Clams in a new tank wont work. I can promise you this. You need to let some organics build up for a few months at least.

question im upgrading my tank, from the 4 gallon to a 20L with a 10 sump, is there anything i can do to get the organics in there faster so i can put my clam in sooner?

Archived