inTank Media Baskets

Hexahedron Heaven - 6.68 ft3 of love - New Arrivals

RnMB1988

This setup is awesome...btw I used to work at radio shack for a 1.5 months. Good experience and very chill but I think they're going to go outta business soon....I'd say a year or two if they keep handling the business the way it is.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dixie reefer

DIY ATO - How I did it.

Kiss - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Parts:

B8B7213B-C181-4648-AD8A-60D40D764837_zps

D5F69E96-986E-45D3-A9C8-D8640E1451D1_zps

04F692C7-9A28-44A4-A0CA-F019A5E08F27_zps

Switch assembly - assembly..... ;)

DSC00987_zpsb580d568.jpg

DSC00990_zps2726739d.jpg

DSC00994_zps8293e170.jpg

DSC00997_zpseb8e58cc.jpg

You're awesome! Thank you!

Safety thoughts - There are several advantages doing it this way.

Its snail proof

Its cheap

Its effective

Use a limited water supply in case of failure or stuck switch- keep from flooding and minimizes Salinity swings. i used a 3 gallon trash can from Walmart.

No converters to buy, runs on 115vac.

The switch is protected from the water by being enclosed in the box (use silicone RTV over the openings)

I used a low volume pump, 40 gph. got it for $5 on eBay.

To finish this up, I used a piece of wire to run one side of the electrical cord to the switch. The other thing that can be done is to add a female plug to the end of this so you can just plug in any 115v pump. There are lots of ways to modify this slightly for your own application.

BF258F2E-CA0B-4AD9-A843-C7C6B1C221A4_zps

A0948F76-42CC-40C6-955C-20DCE1D61F87_zps

CCC2CEA7-264D-4ABA-AC59-98DD0E004BE4_zps

Have a great day! B)

You're awesome! Thanks!

This setup is awesome...btw I used to work at radio shack for a 1.5 months. Good experience and very chill but I think they're going to go outta business soon....I'd say a year or two if they keep handling the business the way it is.

Thank you Illuiix!

I sure hope you are wrong about RS, I get lots of my

little odd and ends there!!

DIY ATO - How I did it.

You're awesome! Thank you!

Your Welcome Dixie, it was fun!!

jedimasterben

DIY ATO - How I did it.

Holy balls, that is genius and simple. Love it!! Now to see if I can find a float switch like that on Digikey or somewhere!

Holy balls, that is genius and simple. Love it!! Now to see if I can find a float switch like that on Digikey or somewhere!

Home Depot and / or Lowe's has the float, it's just a swamp cooler water level float, it's like $5. But use the cheap plastic one, the other one is brass and for some reason I when I looked at it I didn't think it would work as well..... or maybe it just cause it was brass.

Radio shack has the switch and the box for like $4 each.

jedimasterben

I don't think I have a Radioshack near me, the one that I know was here a few years ago didn't really have anything like that, they just sold a lot of small electronics.

www.cablesandconnectors.com/22900-22.htm

There are several choices on this page that will work!

Looking good. I love the attention to detail even in the sump.

That is a really cool float ATO, nice ingenuity.

Thank You both!

I read a lot of other DIY's on ATO's and listened to their thoughts and concerns. There is one more thing I will do soon to this ATO, I will run it through a timer, this will add a one more layer of safety. Only allowing it to be powered for a limited amount of time several times a day will ensure that if there is stuck float or bad switch the pump will be less likely to pump out the reservoir. I saw a digital timer at Lowe's the other day that had like 12 memory settings on it, that should work nicely !

I read a lot of other DIY's on ATO's and listened to their thoughts and concerns. There is one more thing I will do soon to this ATO, I will run it through a timer, this will add a one more layer of safety. Only allowing it to be powered for a limited amount of time several times a day will ensure that if there is stuck float or bad switch the pump will be less likely to pump out the reservoir. I saw a digital timer at Lowe's the other day that had like 12 memory settings on it, that should work nicely !

Thats a good idea. I used a gravity fed float based ATO before I found an ex-demo Osmolator Nano and never had any issues but you can never have too much security. Even now my skimmer and ATO run on timers, they only function during 8am and 10pm, mainly so they don't keep me up at night but it also limits how often the ATO can attempt to top off if the float gets stuck.

Tank parameters for the last two nights. Sunday I put all 9 gallons of the water I took out of the frag tank and the cardiff. it looks like it made just a little swing in the NO3. I think I will add the last bit of ammonium chloride I have tonight for a bit more ammonia.

Sunday June 1st

C2D2CB00-40DA-4AC3-A273-A8510061890F_zps

Monday June 2nd

1BCD43C3-352C-44B8-AD06-A6876F1799AC_zps

Lowkeycoral

This build is awesome I'm def gonna use it for some inspiration on my 50 cube I'm shopping for. RnMB, what kind of light hanging kit is that? It looks great. Are you gonna run a controller? Your wires and plumbing all look so clean. Does your power-strip have switches for each outlet? Lol

Excited to see what's next

This build is awesome I'm def gonna use it for some inspiration on my 50 cube I'm shopping for. RnMB, what kind of light hanging kit is that? It looks great. Are you gonna run a controller? Your wires and plumbing all look so clean. Does your power-strip have switches for each outlet? Lol

Excited to see what's next

I'm glad you can use some of this for your inspiration, that makes me very happy!! B)

My light is an AI Hydra - the original, not the new Hydra 52 :unsure: oh well.

I hung it with there light kit, its a bracket and two aluminum bars that fit together, its a real clean mount and I LOVE it! :D

The Hydra is a full control light, I can make just about any light comboI want, along with lightning storms, clouds, sun rise and sun sets, coral acclimatization mode...and more. its just a kick ass light!!

I did spend the money to get power strips with individual switches, its great, I can off or on what I want, when I want, and the strip has one outlet that is on ALL the time, even if the main switch is off!! Nice!! B)B)

I still have some tidy work to do with the sump, so the wires will get even neater! I want people to just as impressed with whats under the cover as well as what in the water!!

Thanks for stopping in! I hope you follow along for the adventure!! ;)B)

Lowkeycoral

Always tempting with the new light models coming out but I always think, do I really need this if my coral are growing and look great?! :P

Your custom sump is very cool I'm gonna try and mimic that a bit on my build having extra room for macro algae is sweet!

Can you set up the herbie drain system without drilling the stock equipment?

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to what's next! :)

Always tempting with the new light models coming out but I always think, do I really need this if my coral are growing and look great?! :P

Your custom sump is very cool I'm gonna try and mimic that a bit on my build having extra room for macro algae is sweet!

Can you set up the herbie drain system without drilling the stock equipment?

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to what's next! :)

The Herbie could be done without drilling a larger hole, but remember this, the second drain is the emergency/safety overflow, if you make is smaller than the primary there is a chance that it will not be able to handle all the flow in the case of a complete blockage of the primary drain. Now if you use the smaller diameter return as the primary and it won't handle all the flow, then your larger diameter will always have some flow through it and that might lead to some unwanted noise.

It is not hard to drill a tank at all, I did it successfully having never done it before, that being said, most window/glass shops can drill it for you for not a lot of $.

This is the test from last night June 4th, it looks like I finally have a cycle started.

92AB16A0-9263-4796-BF9B-D4E778779FBD_zps

I added some more ammonia, not a lot but its enough to kick it some more.

3B44ED6A-47A0-4AFF-A647-98BC29CED7B4_zps

WOOP WOOP B)B)B)B)B)B)

So today, I did a repeat of last weekend.

The additional Ammonia will help make the cycle better, because it will geo more bacteria , BUT it will also cause a larger swing in Nitrate and Nitrite as seen in my first water test today.

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Hexahedron/B5F6C256-127E-4E16-AD18-FE3C5372B1E0_zpsttqfijnc.jpg.html'>B5F6C256-127E-4E16-AD18-FE3C5372B1E0_zps

I removed 9 gallons of water and replaced it with the 9 gallons of ware from the Cardiff and the frag tank at 11 am. The water test looks like this at 5pm

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Hexahedron/A145C03A-F389-412D-A8E7-F6508E1F8CCF_zpscbgdf2rd.jpg.html'>A145C03A-F389-412D-A8E7-F6508E1F8CCF_zps

I will give it another day or two to continue to change the Nitrite into Nitrate and when the Nitrite is down to .5 or less I will do about a 10 gallon water change. It will then be ready for its first life form.

• 2 weeks later...

One week later I have a completed cycle, here are the tests:

Tuesday

A145C03A-F389-412D-A8E7-F6508E1F8CCF_zps

Thursday

326D0A6D-C791-49FD-BC0B-71E4CC44B989_zps

and Sunday morning:

F2FEBEC8-0C15-450C-A2EB-DA57EDD0628F_zps

Right on time.

I used the water from the the other tanks water change along with 5 gallons of new salt water and did a massive 14 gallon WC.

Time to add some life and bio load, in goes some Dragons Breath, Red Grape, one of the Ocean Live Rocks I got from a guy in El Paso (John) who has this stuff flown in straight from the ocean... nice rock PACKED with life!! Also put in a rock covered in GSP, an Acan, A mushroom and two Green Chromis........ I know, I know.......PICS!!!

5FC679E8-DF3B-4F4A-B1BF-6A93170DCB4A_zps

4A5FAFBA-951B-42C8-8528-E23699047788_zps

5B1EEF3F-ED58-4259-8D7A-43C66261A930_zps

1415F9D0-D28A-471C-ABB5-34F5FF002DF6_zps

Sorry for the Blue shots, I have to learn to take pics again......lol B)

• 2 weeks later...

So what I didn't post cause it was late was this.

51603BF4-976F-4101-B223-8E0FA3973587_zps

Yup, that a baby banggai cardinalfish!! So if thats a baby, then I must have a mated pair!! B) too cool!!!

I stumbled on him while I was cleaning out the Cardiff, and he was actually in the overflow area, not out in the main tank area.

He almost went down the drain!

I love this hobby!!!

5508AC40-7BC2-491E-80BA-D3DF53E80D17_zps

E988FA06-17F6-4053-9A68-0CF957F419B2_zps

I ran out and got a breeders box so he would be food for mom or dad..... :P

I will put up with the box in order to have new fish for the frag tank!

F4998D0F-5FF4-4C2C-BB48-D5EC1F487D0D_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Archived