inTank Media Baskets

Hexahedron Heaven - 6.68 ft3 of love - New Arrivals

RnMB1988

Hi, Thanks for stopping in! This is my build log for my new aquarium, I want to share everything I do in hopes of helping someone else out along the way and to document my journey.

I am upgrading from my Cardiff 24G AIO to this beautiful tank set up I found at a very reasonable price!! $635 shipped to my door.
Props to ZiaReefer for pointing out the seller!
SC Aquariums50 gallon starfire pnp system

See my review of this system here - SC Aquarium Review

I received this system on April 17th and began working on it that night.
I have lots of upgrades, modifications, DIYs in mind for this.

Equipment:

Tank: STARFIRE Glass (only front 3 pieces) Size: 24"W x 24"L x 20"H
Thickness: 10mm glass, with high quality diamond polished edges.
One 3 camber glass sump (19-3/4"W x 16-1/2"L x 13"H) with filter media & bio-balls
SCA-301 65 Gallon skimmer with PH1100 needle wheel pump.
OPH3000 utility return pump 3550 LPH or 938 GPH

I assembled the stand and used wood glue to aid in keeping it strong, then I painted the inside of the stand bright white with a good outdoor paint, it was oil based so it took a few days to dry. I did this because it will help me see inside the sump better and because I saw NanoTopia do it and I like it!! So thanks NanoTopia!

5B5F7565-FC03-4EEE-9CF7-8ABD4A260B60_zps

I didnt like the wasted space in the sump, so while the paint was drying, I came up with a way to modify the water flow inside the sump which will also maximize the space I have for Cheato and what not.

52B46B86-4E88-41E5-90A4-940BAA20F98F_zps

The water will enter the sump in the upper left chamber, flow under the wall into the skimmer chamber. Then under the wall to the refugium chamber, but it will have to travel to the back of the refugium because I put a 2.5 inch riser in the front half of the left had refugium wall. the water will then flow fem the back of the refugium to the front where it will flow over the all into the pump return chamber, which I cut in half with by adding a 5 inch tall wall which will make the water flow up and over that wall into the new pump chamber. Doing this gave me an additional 8x5 inch chamber to use as refugium space. I will also be adding some egg crate to cut the center refugium chamber in half for Cheato or macro algae.
The blue arrows is where water flows under a wall, the red is where the water flows over a wall.

db32090d-9fe1-4860-b73e-a685dc37536d_zps

Its darn near impossible to show what I have done in a glass sump. I have added glass block off plates in places to direct the water flow. I sealed off the back left chamber on the right wall at the bottom where it would just go to the center section, now all the water MUST go ingto the skimmer section, under the right wall in the skimmer section and flow from the front to the back of the sump in the narrow passage. I keep the water in there by having added taller glass to the wall 10 inches long, leaving a 4 inch section in the rear for it pass into the center section. I did the same thing on the other side but this time I blocked the back and left the front open so the water must flow from the back of the center section to the front, over the wall and down under the wall into the new section I created. Then the water flows over the new wall intothe pump section.

I know it hard to see, I am working on a 3D drawing, which may or may not get done, but trust me, it works because I added glass to make it work. Look real close and you can see some of it.

One of the other major mods I will do is to drill out the hole in the bottom of the tank for the ½ inch bulkhead so I can use a 1 inch bulkhead. This will allow me to make a Herbie return system and keep this system real quiet.
Here is the guide I used for this - Herbie Overflow guide

DSC01076_zps6f140ad6.jpg

DSC01077_zpscb42f97d.jpg

More to follow soon!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice build! Look forward for the update.

I am also thinking of buying this tank set from Amazon.

Hi Thanks for dropping in!

I have not seen the price of this on Amazon (haven't looked) but make sure you check EBay, sellers name is Letsmakesomemoney - Yes I know right what a name....

He has one right now for 625, but its the 8 mm tank. You have to contact him after the sale and ask for the 10mm upgrade, its very reasonable, if you want the 10mm glass.

Good luck and if you do get one let me know so I can follow your build!

alfpiccolo

RnMB1988: thanks for the pointer. The following is the link to Amazon. it is a 10mm tank so it is listed for $788 for the set. I think it is the better deal than the all in one Innovative Marines tanks (my LFS trying to sell me one).
Will keep you posted on my purchase (by the end of May).
I will follow your DIY upgrade...but not being as handy as you r, I may just be admiring your skills and thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HY5PD6K/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ZX2PXQAHSYZRXC40Z4W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Ohhh dang that scape is sweet!

Thanks!!

It's not done yet, I want it a little taller in the back.

RnMB1988: thanks for the pointer. The following is the link to Amazon. it is a 10mm tank so it is listed for $788 for the set. I think it is the better deal than the all in one Innovative Marines tanks (my LFS trying to sell me one).

Will keep you posted on my purchase (by the end of May).

I will follow your DIY upgrade...but not being as handy as you r, I may just be admiring your skills and thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HY5PD6K/ref=s9_simh_gw_p199_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1ZX2PXQAHSYZRXC40Z4W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Now that I have had this and been able to look everything over really well, my opinion has not changed. I rate this setup as the best bang for the buck on the market right now. The tank is Awesome!! The joints are very well done, I love the framed look of the front pane of glass, the sealant is black and the 10mm glass just makes it look like a picture frame...it so cool. And everything that came with it is very nice too!

Heater and a light....thats all you need to add......well as well as the coral and fish..........WATER......DONT FORGET THE WATER... :haha:

Rock Scape Done!

Well 98% anyway, I am very impressed with this type of scape (do it before it goes into the tank) never done one this way before and I must say that even though it takes a while to do I am happier with the results than if I just stacked it up and let gravity be 50% of the glue. I ordered 15 lbs of rock and 6 lbs of shelf rock from Marko Rocks, and used all but two pieces of the shelf and just some rubble left overs. I put some egg crate under the rock so it won't be rock to glass when it goes into the tank, plist it gives it a little "lift".........theres a joke somewhere in there.....but Im not going there......LOL.

Front

B8FD84F0-7D84-43D3-BB48-A909EE50DE41_zps

Left Side

7FAAB0B8-B95B-4E4B-8C58-C57BB970F777_zps

Back

EF153FCD-DBA9-495E-991E-682A6B80052D_zps

Right Side

DCD9CFCC-DAC5-48AA-A390-154AC6DB3F61_zps

Top Down

C492001D-F474-49DF-B433-2FD8402C23D2_zps

Front

1B39A05B-578F-4BC9-A1C1-9DC1E75EEBC0_zps

Front

3598A6C9-075D-4940-9248-56AADAEB99C2_zps

in the tank shots.....

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Hexahedron/32AA0C49-09A1-4108-AACE-CD6F929994E3_zpsnjdhgowf.jpg.html'>32AA0C49-09A1-4108-AACE-CD6F929994E3_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Hexahedron/32C1E367-6E34-410B-9462-479722FDB24B_zpsipmjwwy1.jpg.html'>32C1E367-6E34-410B-9462-479722FDB24B_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Hexahedron/B8C4CD69-FB0B-4C0E-B54F-939B369D793C_zpsvn8fovxa.jpg.html'>B8C4CD69-FB0B-4C0E-B54F-939B369D793C_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Hexahedron/35F21BA9-5559-43CD-BDBB-67A28043E6EF_zps1kdol4ey.jpg.html'>35F21BA9-5559-43CD-BDBB-67A28043E6EF_zps

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/rcgliderguy/media/Hexahedron/24A9D7D3-5BDC-4206-B12C-EAE4449DB925_zps9pshuek4.jpg.html'>24A9D7D3-5BDC-4206-B12C-EAE4449DB925_zps

I might put some small outcroppings on it with the rubble and shelf I have left......or maybe not.....time will tell.

Great start man. Is this a sca setup?

Thank you Illuix! Yes it is an SCA setup and I a totally impressed with it. I think with the few modifications I am making it will be a killer looking and easy to maintain system.

MirandaCaine

Love your final scape, it flows really well! Will definitely be following this! Did you use just epoxy to hold it together? Or are there zip ties or something hidden in there?

Love your final scape, it flows really well! Will definitely be following this! Did you use just epoxy to hold it together? Or are there zip ties or something hidden in there?

Hi Mirandacaine, Thanks for stopping in and I'm glad to have you along for the adventure!

I borrowed a little bit of expierence from my Avaition carrier and a touch of "hi tech" to make the scape. I used a mason drill bit and drilled holes in some places and used carbon fiber rod and reef epoxy to attach and strengthen the bond. I also used super glue gel to set it quickly while the epoxy hardened. There are no zip ties, to me they are ugly and spoil the scape. It took me a little over a week to make the scape, most of that time was spent looking at each rock and trying to figure out where it would fit and if it needed to be cut to fit there.

Love the build!

Hi Treborzelev!! Thanks for comment! Hope you will drop in from time to time and see what progress has been made.

DAYUM that scape man!! So far you've come in such a short period of time! As long as i've been in the hobby i don't think i could pull off a scape that creative and flawless! Good call on those shelves. The coral placement in here is gonna be insane :naughtydance: Hurry up plumbing! Lets get wet already :D

dixie reefer

I <3 that scape! You gotta come to the house and scape the 30 long I'm about to set up because i have no idea how I'm going to do it.

DAYUM that scape man!! So far you've come in such a short period of time! As long as i've been in the hobby i don't think i could pull off a scape that creative and flawless! Good call on those shelves. The coral placement in here is gonna be insane :naughtydance: Hurry up plumbing! Lets get wet already :D

Dude, you keep forgetting that YOU are the one that schooled me, and gave me the direction and guidance I needed to succeed! So, Thank You Zia!!

Shooting for a wet May 18th!!

I <3 that scape! You gotta come to the house and scape the 30 long I'm about to set up because i have no idea how I'm going to do it.

Dixie!!!

I am glad you like it!! I would be happy to come help you out with yours if you really want me to. It would have to be this weekend or not till the 31st. Shoot me a pm or txt and let me know!

I need you to DIY me a ato! Hahaha or at least tell cj how to do it.

I got you covered Dixie! I made an ATO for the Frag tank and I made one for this tank also. Total cost is about $40. I was intending to post a DIY on what I did, so I guess you will be my inspiration, I will try and get it up soon!

Archived