Coral Vue Hydros

SC Aquariums 50G PNP system review

RnMB1988

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

what are the sump dimensions for the 50 gal? would a bubble magus curve 5 fit in the sump section (7x8) ?

I know this is a bit late, but just got my 50g PNP system in, and a BM Curve 5 fits in the skimmer section...

• 1 month later...
tjwaggoner

I received the 45g PNP system last week. I won it in an auction on eBay from SC for the rock bottom price of 455 shipped. It's 4" shorter on the depth than the 50 but otherwise the same. I originally wanted the 50 but couldn't pass up the deal I found.

So far the tank is on the stand with some fresh water in it testing the bulk heads. I'm not finished plumbing yet and I did buy a standard size bulkhead for the overflow as I'm doing that in pvc. So far my plan is to use the supplied bulkhead for the return but I think I may replace the tubing with something a little nicer, but may leave it if I can find barbed adapters that will fit it so I can install a check valve.

I'm very impressed with all the items so far. My dad has the 24 gallon AIO system which uses the same 301 skimmer and I can attest that it's a good skimmer.

Following. I've been looking at the 45 gallon from these guys and can't decide between a cadlights 42 gallon and the SCA 45 PNP.

tjwaggoner

Well I was looking at the cad lights 50 but for half the money I couldn't pass up this deal. And I'm very happy with the tank so far. I do like the height of the cad stand better but really in my opinion that's the only difference. My tank is 10mm starfire glass and built like a tank. The stand is solid enough for me to jump on I think. I know the skimmer works well from experience. I will get you some pics this evening maybe. I would not hesitate to buy another one of these.

Well I was looking at the cad lights 50 but for half the money I couldn't pass up this deal. And I'm very happy with the tank so far. I do like the height of the cad stand better but really in my opinion that's the only difference. My tank is 10mm starfire glass and built like a tank. The stand is solid enough for me to jump on I think. I know the skimmer works well from experience. I will get you some pics this evening maybe. I would not hesitate to buy another one of these.

The 45 PNP just went on the "deal of the day" for $580.... What a steal. The MDF cabinet scares me pretty bad though!

tjwaggoner

MDF is a little different than typical particle board stuff. Msg is very very strong. Don't sweat the stand. I'm 6'3 275 and I would stand on it and not think twice about it. The stand is plenty sturdy, has a grain finish so it's not just smooth black. If you've ever seen a biocube stand, the sc stand is much much better made. The mdf is dense and heavy, you can drill it and screw into it without felling like you're going to chip a big chunk of particles out.

The cad lights stand is 36" tall which I think would look better, other than that I can't fault the sc stand. I installed some handles on the front of mine and dressed it up a little. So far non standard plumbing sizes has been my only complaint but that's a matter of buying two bulkheads.

I've looked at a lot of tanks and I feel sure that you simply can't beat these set ups for the price.

Sk8n Reefer

Just picked up an SC aquarium 50gal. on Craigslist - brand new with stand and protien skimmer but no sump. Smoking deal so I had to get it- really impressed with the tank - nice clean work and the starfire glass is really clear. I haven't got it set up yet (just a leak test) but I am really looking forward to it- best looking tank I have owned ?. The stand is nothing special but solid- I just glued some joints and painted the inside white to see a little easier. I would recommend them for sure!

MDF is a little different than typical particle board stuff. Msg is very very strong. Don't sweat the stand. I'm 6'3 275 and I would stand on it and not think twice about it. The stand is plenty sturdy, has a grain finish so it's not just smooth black. If you've ever seen a biocube stand, the sc stand is much much better made. The mdf is dense and heavy, you can drill it and screw into it without felling like you're going to chip a big chunk of particles out.

The cad lights stand is 36" tall which I think would look better, other than that I can't fault the sc stand. I installed some handles on the front of mine and dressed it up a little. So far non standard plumbing sizes has been my only complaint but that's a matter of buying two bulkheads.

I've looked at a lot of tanks and I feel sure that you simply can't beat these set ups for the price.

Definitely have seen a biocube stand. I've seen Cad stands too. Guess I'll just have to get up the courage and bite on this one.

Just picked up an SC aquarium 50gal. on Craigslist - brand new with stand and protien skimmer but no sump. Smoking deal so I had to get it- really impressed with the tank - nice clean work and the starfire glass is really clear. I haven't got it set up yet (just a leak test) but I am really looking forward to it- best looking tank I have owned . The stand is nothing special but solid- I just glued some joints and painted the inside white to see a little easier. I would recommend them for sure!

Someone else is doing a build with one of these and they glued to joints and painted the inside white as well. Looks great. I'll be doing the same with mine.

tjwaggoner

I came very close to painting the inside of my stand white. Just didn't see much benefit other than cosmetic so decided to not bother.

Archived