inTank Media Baskets

Issue with overflow box and silicone...

m0nkie

Hi guys.. this is going to sound pretty dumb, but better ask early than sorry.

I'm trying to glue my custom made overflow onto my glass tank. As you can see from the picture, the overflow is just an acrylic L shape. When I tried to put the OF on the corner of my tank, the original silicone of the tank is in the way. Basically I can't put this Overflow on a flat surface.

Should I just use a razor blade and cut off the remaining silicone on the main DT? I'd hate to have my DT leak somehow... not sure if it would..

or can my overflow sit a little lopsided and I'll squeeze a crap load of silicone to cover the gap?

here's a picture... you can see heavy silicone around all the bottom edges..

1_zpsc2c935e6.jpg

easier to tell with this photo (gap on the left side)

222_zps9cd84ee6.jpg

What u need to do is simple. Don't touch ur tank or silicone. That's no bueno! Shape the overflow box to your needs. If u round the corner of the overflow it should fit a lot better.

I would imagine the silicone you cut away is replaced by the new silicone used to mount the new overflow. There would not be any leaks if you had a nice bead of silicone along the edges, and wait a full 24 hours for the glue to cure.

Get some sandpaper and curve the acrylic where its hitting silicone. Dremel is faster.

Don't mess with the tank silicone.

aww crap.. I already messed with the tank silicone... cut a small small square out of it to fit the overflow.. I will make sure to superglue the overflow and put extra silicone around the cut edges..

Archived